Menu

Frustrated about airline losing my bag

PrairieSong

We arrived home from London on Tuesday evening. My two girls got their bags, but mine wasn't there. I immediately filed a report. He gave me a paper with a web site where I could enter my info and get a report, an 800 number to call. His computer was telling him that my bag was never checked...so I imagine its still sitting at O'Hare somewhere.

Our London to Chicago flight was very delayed and they expressed us through customs and security and we collected our bags. Then in a room with an Am Airlines counter, a woman asked us if we each just had one bag to check. We said yes...and the bags were right in front of us. The girls had their boarding passes waiting for them but I did not, so I rushed to the counter and got mine. It only took a minute, and when I turned around our bags had been taken. I'm guessing the woman possibly did not tag mine?

I've called our small local airport again. The bag is not there. Every other phone number I've been given...has been an automated line. I just want to talk to a real person, but apparently that is not possible.

Okay, vent over.

I'm so sorry! That would really really bother me. And not being able to talk to a real person would likely put me over the edge. I hope your bag shows up. Did you have an ID label on the outside?

Yes, I did, and there is a photo copy of my passport inside. I am thinking of sending a few emails, and a registered letter to the American Airlines corporate office.

It is frustrating not to be able to talk to a real person.

Oh that's awful.  :(  It seems with the merger they tried to split everything down the middle instead of taking the best of both worlds, and now it's just a mediocre airline.

Have you tried this number?  It's supposed to be the best for getting you to a live person when you have baggage problems.  800-535-5225.  Press 1, then press 2.

I hope you get a resolution SOON.

Oh that's awful. :( It seems with the merger they tried to split everything down the middle instead of taking the best of both worlds, and now it's just a mediocre airline.

Have you tried this number? It's supposed to be the best for getting you to a live person when you have baggage problems. 800-535-5225. Press 1, then press 2.

Yes, thanks, but that's the number I already have. It's not a live person. You tell the computerized lady your date of flight, last name, and the code they gave your lost baggage report, and she tells you it hasn't been found yet. Boo.

After talking to my dd, I think it was a human error. My girls were on one side of the room with the lady asking how many bags we had, and my dd said that she "thought" the lady tagged them all, but now she can't remember for sure. I was across the room getting my boarding pass, and then my bag was gone...I thought on the way to my plane.

Oh wait...press 1 then 2? Not sure if that's what I did. I'll try it again.

Yes, thanks, but that's the number I already have. It's not a live person. You tell the computerized lady your date of flight, last name, and the code they gave your lost baggage report, and she tells you it hasn't been found yet. Boo.

After talking to my dd, I think it was a human error. My girls were on one side of the room with the lady asking how many bags we had, and my dd said that she "thought" the lady tagged them all, but now she can't remember for sure. I was across the room getting my boarding pass, and then my bag was gone...I thought on the way to my plane.

Oh wait...press 1 then 2? Not sure if that's what I did. I'll try it again.

And just a thought: I LOATHE computerized phone systems and have found that often, even if the option is not listed, if you just continue to press '0' the default is to transfer you to a person.

And just a thought: I LOATHE computerized phone systems and have found that often, even if the option is not listed, if you just continue to press '0' the default is to transfer you to a person.

I say "customer representative" over and over again until I'm connected with a real person.

I'm another one who keeps pressing zero, or if the recording wants me to talk to it I say "human being." After a few times, the computer lady is "very sorry" that she "can't understand" and I get transferred to a person.

Oh that's awful. :( It seems with the merger they tried to split everything down the middle instead of taking the best of both worlds, and now it's just a mediocre airline.

Have you tried this number? It's supposed to be the best for getting you to a live person when you have baggage problems. 800-535-5225. Press 1, then press 2.

Readwiththem, YOU ROCK!!! I called the 800 number back, pushed 1 for English, and as soon as the automated voice came on I pressed 2 and got through to a REAL PERSON. Imagine that. She located my bag in Chicago, and put in an order for it to be flown today. Then they will call me to arrange home delivery.

If I ever really need to know how to do something, need to find a book, or some obscure fact, I come here. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Readwiththem, YOU ROCK!!! I called the 800 number back, pushed 1 for English, and as soon as the automated voice came on I pressed 2 and got through to a REAL PERSON. Imagine that. She located my bag in Chicago, and put in an order for it to be flown today. Then they will call me to arrange home delivery.

If I ever really need to know how to do something, need to find a book, or some obscure fact, I come here. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Great news!

Hmmm...does that work even if "customer representative" is not one of the options?? I'd be willing to give it a try in the future though.

So far, it's always worked for me and for my husband. He's the one who told me to do it. I was skeptical, but it's worked.

@OP   Glad that they found your bag and that you will soon have a  happy reunion with it.  A few things I remember, from when I was an airline employee (I worked for 2 different U.S. Flag airlines) and when I was doing a lot of traveling...

My first rule of thumb is that I am ALWAYS extremely polite and courteous to the airline employee I am asking to help me. I always begin with, "I know that you did not lose/damage my luggage, please help me".

I had a very large letter, my first initial, on each side of my suitcases, in Red reflective tape, for many years. That makes it easier to spot your luggage, when it is on a carousel, with many other pieces of identical luggage. I began doing that, after checking in behind a guy who had the identical luggage, many years ago.

I had 1 or 2 photos of my suitcases (hard sided) in case my luggage was lost, so I could show the person what my luggage looked like, exactly.

I have never used soft sided luggage. Memories of seeing someones photos and belongings on the luggage bin in DFW Airport. That might happen with hard sided luggage, but the worst mine encountered was to get a small hole punched in the bottom (which Delta paid to repair).

I did have the lock on one of my *old* pieces of luggage fail, when I was in Venezuela in 1991. I had 1 or 2 luggage straps that I placed around the bags, thru the handles.  I made it back to Texas with the bag closed by that luggage strap and bought a new suitcase after I was home. 

@OP Glad that they found your bag and that you will soon have a happy reunion with it. A few things I remember, from when I was an airline employee (I worked for 2 different U.S. Flag airlines) and when I was doing a lot of traveling...

My first rule of thumb is that I am ALWAYS extremely polite and courteous to the airline employee I am asking to help me. I always begin with, "I know that you did not lose/damage my luggage, please help me".

I had a very large letter, my first initial, on each side of my suitcases, in Red reflective tape, for many years. That makes it easier to spot your luggage, when it is on a carousel, with many other pieces of identical luggage. I began doing that, after checking in behind a guy who had the identical luggage, many years ago.

I had 1 or 2 photos of my suitcases (hard sided) in case my luggage was lost, so I could show the person what my luggage looked like, exactly.

I have never used soft sided luggage. Memories of seeing someones photos and belongings on the luggage bin in DFW Airport. That might happen with hard sided luggage, but the worst mine encountered was to get a small hole punched in the bottom (which Delta paid to repair).

I did have the lock on one of my *old* pieces of luggage fail, when I was in Venezuela in 1991. I had 1 or 2 luggage straps that I placed around the bags, thru the handles. I made it back to Texas with the bag closed by that luggage strap and bought a new suitcase after I was home.

Thank you for the tips! I do try to be courteous. After the woman at the local airport tried to help me, but didn't get any farther than I had, I thanked her for her time. I truly do appreciate the effort people make to help. The woman I was finally able to speak to who did help me, spent at least fifteen minutes sorting out my problem. I thanked her as well.

My large soft-sided bag is purple with stripes, so easy to identify. I have my name and address on it, and also a photocopy of my passport inside. However, after a mishap getting stuck in the entry gates of the London Tube (it was ugly and involved a kind stranger helping to shove my bag through) the handle does not extend very far. It is bent. I will be getting another bag sometime and will consider what you said about hard sided luggage.

This is a good idea, you could just do quick pics with your phone and have it right at hand.  My mom couldn't find one of her bags at the Dubai airport when she came to visit once, she told the manager it was "red."  Once they finally found it, turns out it was mostly black with a small red stripe.  Luckily the manager was more amused than irritated.

I have a distinctive, neon-bright pattern of thick cloth ribbon I chose from Michaels, I get a spool when we're home each summer and use that to attach small ties to our luggage handles (big enough to be seen, small enough to not be a hindrance).. when we travel we usually have 10+ bags (two pieces per person on a long-haul flight) so it's been a real help!