Menu

If you had 10 min to do a read aloud for an elementary aged group, which book would you choose?

I volunteered to read a book for a literacy program in the inner city, and I need ideas. They have a morning pep rally and then a story time in which various people from all over the city come and read to them. I was thinking of something inspirational. Maybe, Dr. Seuss', "Oh, The Places You'll Go".

Any suggestions?

After listening to Adam Andrews read it at the homeschool convention recently, in such an entertaining and motivational way, how about an illustrated copy of The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow? We had a beautiful copy when my daughter was younger.

I volunteered to read a book for a literacy program in the inner city, and I need ideas. They have a morning pep rally and then a story time in which various people from all over the city come and read to them. I was thinking of something inspirational. Maybe, Dr. Seuss', "Oh, The Places You'll Go".

Any suggestions?

It sounds like you are reading to a very large group, perhaps the whole school? In that case, I don't think a picture book would be a good choice, because they rely so much on the pictures to tell the story and the students would not be able to see.

It sounds like you are reading to a very large group, perhaps the whole school? In that case, I don't think a picture book would be a good choice, because they rely so much on the pictures to tell the story and the students would not be able to see.

You're right! I think there are about 25 kids in the program. But, I only have 10 minutes. I guess I was thinking a picture book would be my only option. I occasionally take my youngest to story time at the library. There is always a crowd of kids and they read picture books.

Help! What else could I read and finish in 10 min?

25 kids isn't too many. You could do a picture book for that number. I was picturing hundreds of kids in a gym.

But there are other options, such as a short story or folk tale. A previous poster mentioned poetry, which could be really great. Probably the most important thing is to pick something you are comfortable with. If you are from the U.S., what about a classic American tall tale like Paul Bunyan?

ETA: or one of Kipling's Just-So Stories? Great for read-aloud.

You could get a big book (you know, the classroom type that is huge?) and read that.

Or something like a Chris Van Allsburg book--they have excellent text and beautiful pictures.

The Wretched Stone is marvelous.

Sit higher than the kids so they can see the pictures.

You could get a big book (you know, the classroom type that is huge?) and read that.

Or something like a Chris Van Allsburg book--they have excellent text and beautiful pictures.

The Wretched Stone is marvelous.

Sit higher than the kids so they can see the pictures.

Our library has those giant books that you can check out----  You can see if yours does.  they probably don't have many options, so that would limit your choices (and make it easier, lol).

I had a short time to read to 9-13 year olds in a co-op class, and I had a picture book in my bag from the 5 year old class I was in the previous hour--and they all (oddly) liked the story about the Little Hero of Holland.  It was in a William Bennett book I had from Sonlight Core PreK or 4/5 or whatever it is now.

But in a public school setting, you might want to edit the term for the wall that he stuck his finger in--  I was surprised at how much they liked a "kid" story though--it was new to them, and the boy did something very difficult--perseverance and all that.

Betsy

I'd probably pick something funny, like a Gerald and Piggie book (Mo Willems), Sugar Would Not Eat It, or Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake. Or Blueberries for Sal, especially since blueberries are in season.

If you want something more inspiring, we just read Xander's Panda Party, which was about including everyone.

I think Mo Willems is a great option. There is often a twist at the end. I can't remember what it is called but it is the one with the fox inviting the duck or goose for dinner. There is the repetitive phrase about it not being a good idea that the kids love to say.

And you can tell the kids who know the book to keep what they know a secret. It is interactive, conspiring and down right fun.

The pictures are big and the words are too. And there aren't that many of them. It might be shorter than 10 minutes but you can stop and ask the kids for predictions. Especially why it is not a good idea. Practice at home first.

This is the book.

http://www.amazon.com/That-Is-Not-Good-Idea/dp/0062203096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404167926&sr=8-1&keywords=Mo+Willems+not+a+good+idea

Last summer I read at an inner city school with K & 1st graders.  They loved, Pete the Cat & His 4 Groovy Buttons, they would all kind of sing & dance along to the lines, "My buttons, my buttons, my 4 groovy buttons,"  which is repeated throughout the book.  It's a really fun book.  

A fairy tale or folk tale would be really good too.