Menu

Conceptual Physics... What's the difference with the high school version???

Can someone tell me the difference between these texts? We are planning on Conceptual Physics for 9th grade science. Obviously the high school one is a HS program, but is the regular text college level? Which one is mostly used?

Conceptual Physics - The High School Program

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Physics-High-School-program/dp/0133647498/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403996278&sr=8-2&keywords=conceptual+physics

Conceptual Physics 11th Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Physics-11th-Edition-Hewitt/dp/0321568095/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0J6H0QSBZFY08B7B0TAN

The second is the college-level book.  If you read the section called "Brief Description," it talks about "empowering professors."

I'm using the college book (actually an earlier edition though) for my senior next year.  He's good at math and science, but doesn't love those subjects.  We're trying to finish trig and pre-calc by graduation (got a little behind this year), so I wanted a solid but relatively straightforward physics class to close things out.

I've seen some geometry and algebra required, but I don't know where the college text fits on the spectrum compared to the high school text.

I have the high school text 3rd edition and the college text 5th edition which is rather old. I'm sure it has been updated quite a bit. But when comparing those two editions, the high school text is definitely more colorful and more student-friendly. It has a more pleasing layout with a slightly larger font and better use of white space. The presentation of material also is different. For example, the hs text covers each of Newton's laws in separate chapters while the college text covers all 3 laws in one chapter. The college text also has full chapters on some extra material...musical sounds, light quanta, general theory of relativity, and astrophysics....that the high school text just touches on within other chapters.

Again...I am comparing an old edition of the college text. It has probably changed quite a bit...I would definitely expect it to be more colorful than the one I have!

I am using the high school text (3rd edition) with my local physics class next year. I think it is just about perfect. :-)

MorningGlory~~~

I am possibly going to use the high school CP text with my son starting in the fall...that, or a Holt text...I'm not sure which one HE will be attracted to most.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for using the text successfully?  Which labs are "home friendly", scheduling, etc.  I also have the teacher's lab workbook (same as the student workbook, just has answers) and a problem-solving workbook.  Not sure either are necessary since the text seems to have more than enough to keep us busy.

You seem so pleased with CP.  I want some of your enthusiasm!

Thanks,

Robin

I have the high school text 3rd edition and the college text 5th edition which is rather old. I'm sure it has been updated quite a bit. But when comparing those two editions, the high school text is definitely more colorful and more student-friendly. It has a more pleasing layout with a slightly larger font and better use of white space. The presentation of material also is different. For example, the hs text covers each of Newton's laws in separate chapters while the college text covers all 3 laws in one chapter. The college text also has full chapters on some extra material...musical sounds, light quanta, general theory of relativity, and astrophysics....that the high school text just touches on within other chapters.

Again...I am comparing an old edition of the college text. It has probably changed quite a bit...I would definitely expect it to be more colorful than the one I have!

I am using the high school text (3rd edition) with my local physics class next year. I think it is just about perfect. :-)

Would you be able to list an ISBN number for the volume you have? Also do you have the teacher's edition, and which other components are necessary? Sorry about all the questions, but there seem to be so many different options of workbooks etc. I, too, am trying to decide whether to use the high school edition or not. We will be doing Physics in 9th after Alg 1 and while taking geometry. I would like a good course that covers the necessary material, but that is within her math ability

Thanks everyone for the great info. We will be using CP for 9th grade. It sounds like from comments as well as reading more reviews that the high school version will be the way for us to go.

Thus, my question now is: What else is needed besides the Student Text? Is the TM required? Are the workbooks required? Where is the best place to purchase, Amazon?

MorningGlory~~~

I am possibly going to use the high school CP text with my son starting in the fall...that, or a Holt text...I'm not sure which one HE will be attracted to most.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for using the text successfully?  Which labs are "home friendly", scheduling, etc.  I also have the teacher's lab workbook (same as the student workbook, just has answers) and a problem-solving workbook.  Not sure either are necessary since the text seems to have more than enough to keep us busy.

You seem so pleased with CP.  I want some of your enthusiasm!

Thanks,

Robin

One bit of advice that I have for using Hewitt's CP is to not try to cover the entire book equally. With my students I am concentrating on the mechanics unit (chs. 1-14), the waves/light unit (chs. 25-31), and the electricity/magnetism unit (chs. 32-37). At the very end of the year, we will also explore a bit of "modern physics" by spending some time on relativity (chs. 15-16) and atomic theory (chs. 17, 38-40)....very interesting stuff that the kids love. Notice that I am totally omitting chs. 18-24 that cover phases of matter and thermodynamics. We covered *most* of this information in chemistry.

There are quite a few labs in the CP lab manual that are doable at home. If you want to use that resource, I would look through it and find 2 to 3 labs in each unit that have inexpensive, easy-to-obtain equipment and concentrate on those. I would strongly recommend against purchasing any expensive physics equipment or kits. It just isn't necessary. I shared this site recently on another thread: http://jabryan.iweb.bsu.edu/lowcostphysics/ Take a look at it. My students will complete around 8-10 labs for the year plus some fun projects (egg-drop, bridge, circuit board).

I am adding in some extra problem-solving practice with my students. There is *some* problem solving in the text, but I am supplementing. All of the problems can be solved with just basic algebra. If you feel the need to do this, you could have your son work through some of the problem solving workbook since you already have it.

Yes, I do love CP. I taught physics and AP Physics for 9 years in a b&m school before I "retired" to teach my own kiddos. I have been looking so forward to the day when I could FINALLY teach my own son physics. And now I will be teaching not only him but also 16 friends with him! Funny how things work out.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Not sure I answered the ones you had here! :-)

Would you be able to list an ISBN number for the volume you have? Also do you have the teacher's edition, and which other components are necessary? Sorry about all the questions, but there seem to be so many different options of workbooks etc. I, too, am trying to decide whether to use the high school edition or not. We will be doing Physics in 9th after Alg 1 and while taking geometry. I would like a good course that covers the necessary material, but that is within her math ability

Yes, I am using the 3rd edition High School Program. ISBN-13: 978-0201466973 for the student text. I have purchased 19 copies of this text used from Amazon for my class (I only needed 17, but 2 of the copies were unusable). The most I paid was $8 for a "like new" copy...most of the ones I ordered were under $2 plus shipping. Very affordable!

I do have the TE, and yes, I think it is useful and maybe even necessary. It has the answers to all the review questions and problem solving at the end of each chapter. Unless you are a physicist or physics teacher by trade, you will probably find it helpful. It also has margin notes that are sometimes interesting. I have not checked the going price of the TE since I already owned it. I really do not think any of the other components are necessary unless you want to supplement the problem solving. Honestly, I think the text with TE is plenty; I wouldn't purchase anything else.

Algebra 1 is all your daughter needs for CP. I am thrilled to see so many homeschool families using CP in 9th grade! I wish I had done the same with my son, but he had the opportunity to take biology in a fabulous group setting....I just couldn't let it pass.

Is CPO Physics: A First Course considered middle school level or the equivalent to an early high school course (like physical science)?

http://www.cposcience.com/home/ForEducators/PhysicsAFirstCourse/tabid/269/Default.aspx

If you look here it says: 

Physics A First Course: Grades 8-10

Sorry if you wanted an answer from personal experience or something! Also I can't take italics off. Cool.