Menu

Black cat turning brown?

OneStepAtATime

My solid black cat that I have owned for years and have know since she was a kitten is turning brown.  Her solid black son is not so I don't think it is something in the environment, but maybe I am wrong.  I don't really care what color she is.  I just don't want this to be some sort of health issue or exposure to something dangerous.  Any suggestions?  Anyone ever have something similar happen?

O.k. she is strictly indoors so it isn't sunlight but she might need a bath.  She is about 7 years old.  It started with her face.  At first we thought it was just the lighting that made her face look brown.  But we soon realized she really is turning brown.  The face is the most noticeable but the rest of her body is starting to turn brown as well....

Thanks for the responses, by the way.  I have owned a lot of cats over the years.  I have had kittens change color as they turn into adults but never an adult cat with a solid color change color.  Really weird.

We once had a black cat that would turn brown in the summer.  She didn't start doing it until she was, maybe, 5ish years old.  My tuxedo cat gets an auburn undertinge in the summer, as well, so I always thought it was normal for black cats!

We once had a black cat that would turn brown in the summer.  She didn't start doing it until she was, maybe, 5ish years old.  My tuxedo cat gets an auburn undertinge in the summer, as well, so I always thought it was normal for black cats!

It happened with our cat too. It's due to heat, not sunlight. I think there's also something about diets but ours was definitely due to the heat.

Interesting.  It is HOT here.  About 100 degrees on average right now.  And even though we have AC, it is still definitely warmer in the summer inside than it was in the winter.  So maybe a combination of age and heat?  That would make sense since her son is about 2 years younger than she is.  I think she would be too young to be graying, but maybe I am wrong.  I am used to indoor cats living a really long time, though.

I don't know anything about age, but yep, a common misconception is that it's just sunlight. It often is caused by sunlight because the sun is giving off heat, obviously, but it can be hot without the sun. It'd be more obvious in the face because the hair is thinner there (or something, I just know something about the face showing sooner/more). It's not anything to worry about.

O.k. so I will assume this is normal. She seems fine. No change in behavior at all. And Barb, those cats are beautiful!

Thanks! We got him as an abandoned 3 week old alongside the interstate and he's been the best cat we've ever had.

I really hope it is normal, but I'd talk with a vet just in case it is a sign of something.  Our black toy poodle turned brown starting at her muzzle and we found out that the cause was kidney disease.