Menu

Stressing out over buying Nursing Schoool shoes! Gah!

Alenee

I start nursing school on Monday and at orientation, they told us we have to have solid black or white leather shoes.  For the average woman this wouldn't be a problem.  But I have HUGE feet and buying shoes has always been difficult and frustrating.  There's a store about 20 minutes away I'm going to try today but I don't want to be stuck with the Dansko Professional clog.  I owned a pair and they were okay, but I'm also very tall.  I don't need to be any taller!  Plus, I fear my ankles rolling in them.  I can feel my blood pressure rising over this.........  :banghead:

I have large feet too- in nursing school i wore basic white mens leather sneakers.

This may actually be the way I go.  I'm hoping for something a bit more feminine but I already wear men's running shoes (found some with cool colors). 

I'm in the same boat as you with what I refer to as my "giant man feet". In sneakers I wear 11.5 mens. I can squeeze into women's 12... for a wedding or church. LOL. Some days I dream of actually finding shoes on sale that are curt and fit and ... its a dream...

I would go sneakers. Comfort will WAY trump style (at least the nurses I know are all super stud hustling and running around people!).

My husband wears a 15, I always order from Zappos or Shoebuy and return shoes that he doesn't like or that didn't fit right. They both offer free shipping in both directions which is nice. You may have to pay for expedited shipping to get them on time though.

We are fans of Skechers too. They have a series with non slip soles (required in restaurants) that are decent looking and decent quality. Dh wears them for work and recommends them for his employees too. Around here you can get them at Payless, JCPenney, Kohl's, Rack Room...most places sell them actually.

Be happy you can have black shoes! All white is the pits (and, IMO, much less useful after graduation).

I have big feet (10-11, depending on the brand). I don't really like Danskos - I'm tall, and the sole/heel is thicker than I prefer, and they just don't look comfortable to me in general.

I was pretty happy with NurseMates during school, and those are widely available if you have a nursing supply store nearby.

I currently have these (in black), and am overall happy with them, except that they aren't actually anti-slip (I got them for less than half that price). 

I want to try these next, because I have a pair of Timberland boots that have been absolutely awesome. But, like you, I want to try them on in person first. (They have other designs that are more plain).

If you do go with Danskos, look for Sanitas. Sanitas are what Danskos used to be, and most of the brand-loyalty to Danskos started when they were made by Sanita. Or something like that.