Menu

Who's had a hysterectomy?

What a fun thread title, eh? :tongue_smilie:

This is a continuation of my 'stress' thread from a day or so ago, specifically, the "Lady Troubles" part.

It's looking as if a hysterectomy is looming in my future.

We're going to proceed cautiously (my OB/GYN is great in this area, and I trust her caution and her recommendations), but the only complete answer for at least some of what I'm dealing with is surgery. (I'm not going to bore/wow anyone with details...just trust me, lol.)

Now, for all the well-meaning folks who are tempted to bombard me with data about how overprescribed this surgery is, in the US...I appreciate it, but believe me...you're preaching to the choir. I'm one of those who always prefers to treat something as naturally as possible, who doesn't take a doctor's advice as gospel, and has sought to avoid 'big intervention' as much as possible. In fact, some of the info in the book You Don't Want A Hysterectomy contributed to my being convinced that this was probably the way to go.

That said...

I'm not looking forward to doing this, obviously.

My doctor and my mom have told me that being thrown into menopause will not be pleasant. (To put it mildly).

I'm not keen on hormone therapy, even though I'm only 37, for a number of reasons, so I'm looking for BTDT stories not only from women who have undergone the surgery (all advice is appreciated), but more specifically, from those who have been able to adjust to...::sigh::...life afterwards without (or with a minimum of) outside hormonal help.

Prayers won't be unappreciated, either.

Thanks.

I had one about 2 weeks after I turned 37 (I'm 40 now). Afterwards, I have felt much better. Really. My advice would be to NOT do a vaginal hysterectomy. I had some unpleasant and long-lasting complications that I am convinced that I simply would not have had if I had had an abdominal incision.

I had one about 2 weeks after I turned 37 (I'm 40 now). Afterwards, I have felt much better. Really. My advice would be to NOT do a vaginal hysterectomy. I had some unpleasant and long-lasting complications that I am convinced that I simply would not have had if I had had an abdominal incision.

...for confirming my gut instinct about this.

Not me, but my sil had one and she says it's the best thing that has ever happened to her. I don't know specifically what she has dealt with re: menopause, but whatever it has been, it hasn't been enough to override her overwhelmingly positive/pleasant experience (she had endometriosis, sorta... maybe even a few precancer cells or something like that). She is a new woman! Enjoyed working out more and even participated in a mini-triathalon. Really an unbelievable transformation.

Hope this helps somewhat.

((Jill))

I had one. I had a lot of trouble the first year (and required a second surgery because my doctor was a Neanderthal), but it was definitely worth it.

I wasn't sure before, but everyone I talked to said, "Oh! I LOVE mine!" like they were talking about a new pair of shoes or something.

But -- I love mine. :D

I had a hysterectomy two years ago (abdominal). I was 41. I seriously feel like it added 10+ year to my life -- I feel like I did in my twenties and thirties. Things had really deteriorated in my health due to severe anemia. I felt better very quickly after the surgery and after my recovery I was able to do things that I hadn't for years.

While I kept my ovaries I did have some hormonal issues early after the surgery and did take HRT for about six - eight months. But once I was able to start an exercise program and began to eat well, those things settled down too.

It was life changing, in a positive way, for me. I am so happy I agreed with my doctors that this was a good solution for my issues.

While I kept my ovaries I did have some hormonal issues early after the surgery and did take HRT for about six - eight months. But once I was able to start an exercise program and began to eat well, those things settled down too.

...(I don't think I did) that my ovaries will have to go, too. (They're a big part of the problem).

I don't know how well they're functioning, anyway, but this would be a total hyst.

I'm glad you mentioned, Rose, that you only needed hormone therapy for a few months; considering my age, a limited course might not be so bad, with a gradual tapering off. (My doc stressed that I'd be immediately menopausal, right after a big surgery...probably not a great thing, lol.)

Thanks to everyone who's shared so far. Keep it coming!

I can't offer any advice, Jill, but I did want to say... My mom went through this a few years ago, and I was *so* distressed. I'm like you -- firmly believe the surgery is performed far too frequently, worried about the effects of hormone replacement, etc, etc. And while mom was older than you, certainly, she still seemed fairly young to go through this (at the time).

It turned out to be the best possible choice for her. Other than working too hard immediately afterward and ignoring everyone who told her to take it really easy for a full six weeks, she recovered great and ended up feeling better than she had in several years before the surgery. She lost weight, had significantly more energy, was able to (finally!) recover from the anemia that had plagued her for years...

Anyway, I wanted to say that it *can* turn out well. And while I'm still no fan of the surgery and think it *is* far overprescribed *generally*... It certainly can be the best option in individual cases. And it really could make life better for you. I sure hope so. (( ))

ETA: My mom's was also total. That was part of what concerned me. But, as I said, it was overwhelmingly positive for her (even with the necessity of some hormone replacement).

...(I don't think I did) that my ovaries will have to go, too. (They're a big part of the problem).

I don't know how well they're functioning, anyway, but this would be a total hyst.

!

Last August I opted to have a complete hysterectomy because I'm in a high-risk group for ovarian cancer. (I donated my ovaries to a research study looking for a cure for ovarian cancer and received a nice thank you note in the mail from the research doctor...I'm big on writing thank you notes so I can't tell you just how pleased I was to get that one!) I had what's called a Da Vinci hysterectomy which made for an easier recovery.

I declined the hormone patch that my surgeon usually puts on her patients before they leave the OR. I had read that a surgical menopause would be like driving full speed into a brick wall, but I wouldn't describe my experience like that at all. I decided to try a "phytoestrogen" instead of a synthetic/prescription form (http://www.revivalsoy.com). I have occasional hot flashes which I actually enjoyed during the winter months! "Dryness" is another bother, but Emerita makes a "personal moisture" product that helps. My doctor also said there's some kind of ring with localized estrogen that is available to help with this. Sorry about TMI!

Anyway, I just wanted to join with the other ladies to reassure you that there is life after hysterectomy! And for me, it was a great relief to get rid of two potentially ticking time bombs.

And on a lighter note, here's the advice my elderly aunt surprised me with when I was trying to make my decision: "Get rid of the baby carriage but keep the playpen!" :lol:

Jill,

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I haven't had one, but considering it. I'm going to try endometrial ablation first (am scheduled for 9/10). I didn't see your previous post, but I am right with you. I try to do the natural thing as much as possible.

I have been, and am, doing lots of research. A friend referred me to this site:

http://www.hystersisters.com

I have found this site very helpful, especially when you think you are the only one having the same symptoms as you, you realize you are not alone.

Let us know how you are doing. I'm going to look up your other thread now.

Here is a site to visit

http://www.hystersisters.com

They were WONDERFUL folks to talk to.

They also give advice in what to take to the hospital and trust me you want to take that advice! The backscratcher was a LIFE SAVER and I am NOT joking..I had an allergic reaction to a med and was scratching(clawing actually) all over and with an incision that would not have been good with out the backscratcher.

Walk, walk, walk, walk or they wont let you go home! I was so ready to go home after they took me off the morphine.:001_smile:

I don't regret having my surgery. My Dr. tested for everything possible to make sure it was the right decision and I also waited 2yrs before making my final decision.

I kept my ovaries.

Just take it easy..that is a MUST or you will be back in bed. Don't think just because you feel good, you can do more...DON'T, DON'T, DON'T!!!

It's looking as if a hysterectomy is looming in my future.

Jill, I had a laparoscope-assisted vaginal hysterectomy in March. Kept my ovaries, so I can't say much on the hormone issue, but I'm perfectly willing to discuss the procedure and recovery here or privately.

I didn't want to go that drastic either, but I'll join many others here in saying I love the results.

Go to the Hystersisters, for sure!!

I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 37 as well. Due to the fact that most of the problems were coming from the ovaries, they went too.

I was one of those people that felt the menopause hit them like a brick wall. I do take HRT as well as natural remedies. My dosage is pretty high and the last time I went for a check-up, my doctor said that he wants to start tapering the HRT down since I've been on it for five years (next month).

I will say that once my hormones were in check I felt much better after the surgery. I did not have a vaginal surgery and even with all of the healing that I had to do, I still felt much better. It's amazing how much pain those little parts can cause in there. :tongue_smilie:

The ONLY negative that has come from my surgery was the fact that I can't have children anymore and that make me a little sad sometimes. But then I look at all the blessings that I was given and I know that God knew what He was doing.

You really will feel better. Just talk to your doctor about possible alternatives to hormone replacement before your surgery. You don't know how your body is going to react. I was not going to take anything but natural remedies and was not prepared for what I went through. As long as you are prepared, you will be fine. ;)

I'm having a vaginal hyst. in a few weeks, (I need to look into this more now.) but I'll be keeping my ovaries... so no menopause.

Can you not keep your ovaries?

Yes, I kept mine.

I know of a dr. that won't even do a vaginal, because they are so risky. Please research it. What I went through was way worse than an incision. And it isn't over yet.