Menu

scheduling idea...the block system...but just ONE subject

This is a SO from what Hunter mentioned in the thread about summer plans.

Just wanted to toss out an idea for the block system that some colleges use where the student only studies one subject per block for 3.5 weeks. They go to class from 9-12 M-F for three weeks, the next week it's M-W and  have Th & Fri off and then on Monday a new block is started.

Colorado College uses this system.

We tried this for the last few months of this learning year, to test drive it to see if we should implement it in full for 2014-15. It was an abbreviated test as I wanted to cover more subjects than we could if we went with the 3.5 weeks. So we did it with each block lasting 2.5 weeks.

It definitely has it's pros and cons, and I believe they would be different for each family.

The first block was math and dd was dreading it as it's not her thing. But it was fun using various books like 'Mathematicians Are People, Too', Math for Smarty Pants', online drills, and TT. The variety was great and the fact that math could be done verbally and with games was a plus. (I've tried the game route-living books math-but it's just not my thing) I knew for dd that we would need to incorporate math each week even when it was a different block, so I decided to include it once a week for an hour.

Next block was geography. Good intentions got us started on reading '365 Days of Longitude' which we really liked but even though we'd look up the places they visited on the map, her drawing the flag, and drawing events that stood out to her from their visit there, it just didn't seem like it was sticking for her. We had a trip interruption so I revamped our plans and it went much better. However, this was about the beginning of April and I was already ready for the end to come so what we did was a little

half-hearted.

Passion-fashion-art block was next and of course, that went almost perfectly. She got to work on her passion, we took advantage of art in town (music, plays, trying new venues of art outlets). She loved it and I did too in that I didn't have to get her started on anything-she got started herself.

LA was the last block but that fizzled out for various reasons and was shortened to 1.5 weeks.

While there were some pluses, I think we both enjoy having a bit more variety so I'll keep this in mind for a later time when she is more independent. But it was a neat ride and fun experiment. Great to be able to change courses to try something new when the opp presents itself. Thank you home education. Thank you freedom.

One block at a time is a very Waldorf idea.

My oldest son had great success with a 2 block schedule along with attending family worship and having a job.  This summer I'm trying out a 3 block system: one skill, one content, one enrichment.

I just got in an art book, today. I'm putting it away till fall. I'm not longer doing nature study and art/music at the same time. But come fall or winter I'm making this art book a priority and plan to power through it, no matter what else does not get done.

I want to start powering through some books, and the only way that will happen is if I prioritize just a very few things, finish them, and then schedule something else.

This might work fine for certain content subjects - but not math and foreign languages. The long gap with no math and no foreign language while the other subjects are taught will very likely be detrimental for long term retention.

Also, some abstract concepts need time to settle and are being processed in the subconscious while the person is engaged in other things. This crucial processing time would be eliminated.

My older son used American School, back in the late 1990s. The AS written books were written to be used just a couple at a time and intensively, but most textbooks can be used that way.

He generally did Math OR English, not both at the same time. Admittedly he didn't do advanced maths; he switched to accounting after a review of basic math, some geometry, and 1/2 a credit of algebra. AS has higher math requirements, now, than they did in the 90s.

My younger son did some of the college prep maths and sciences through AS. He, too, took breaks between math books, to get more of English done, but he schooled more than worked, so he wasn't down to just 2 school subjects, and the breaks were not as long or as complete.

My older really only did about 2 hours a day of school, besides about 1 1/2 hours a day of family worship/ morning time, and working about 5 hours a day. Yes, I know that is illegal, but it's what he did.

Right now, I'm reworking my way through the Saxon books I used with my younger son. I see no problem doubling and tripling up lessons to finish the book in a few months and then taking several months off to work on writing. Each book starts off with extensive review.

I've been thinking of restarting my Latin studies, but the books I'm using won't work. The year 1 book would take more than 180 school days and therefore I can't squeeze that into 2-3 months of doubled and tripled lessons. Book 2, includes enough review to be used after a long break from book 1, though. Maybe I could power my way through the book in 4 months, and then take my break. But I'll probably see what is available for shorter books with extensive reviews in the first few chapters.

One month blocks are easier to plan when using real books instead of texts. Texts tend to build on themselves. Living/trade/real books are more stand alone. If using texts, it often is not possible to break mid-steam. The book would need to be powered though and finished.

The old Alpha-Omega and the old CLE used to be set up, where one of the options was to only do English or math, and to only do science of social studies, and then to alternate. I'm not sure if 2 decades of revisions has removed that option. 

Also, some abstract concepts need time to settle and are being processed in the subconscious while the person is engaged in other things. This crucial processing time would be eliminated.

This was my first thought.

I've toyed with the idea of doing 5 blocks - one subject per day for the entire year...

Hmm, I think the idea is fine for passions or perhaps extras but not typical academics.

For instance, I could see spending EXTRA time on writing to do a story or a specific course to get more out of it. But ONLY doing writing for 3.5 weeks. No. While it would have value, I can't imagine what you might forget in the mean time. 3.5 solid weeks of math would be interesting, but what happens they take 7-21 weeks off to cover other things?!

So yeah, I can see it for passions, for digging in deep to something specific, a time frame in history, a unit study, etc. But for general academics? I don't see it working & being effective. FWIW, I've heard a LOT of ladies in my homeschool group mention they hated block scheduling because while it got specific things they hated out of the way, by the time they came back to it the following time they had NO IDEA what they'd studied previously. This is YEARS after they graduated!!

I did a couple of intensive study courses as a graduate student and have mixed feelings about the classes.  They were great for working and geographically distant students (pre-online option) since they optimized time on campus. But, it was difficult to stay focused for some many hours at one time.  Also, long-term retention was not as good as with regular classes.  I found the summer school model of 2-3 classes for a five-week term preferable to intensives.  2-3 classes at a time offered some variety and gave time for concepts to gel.  Even so, assignments had to be adapted since there was less time for completion and retention was not as good as with semester long classes. 

I could see trying block scheduling with high school students.  I do not think it would be optimal for elementary students.  I do think a combination could work well.  1-2 hours in the morning for those subjects requiring regular review and the rest of the day for in-depth study of one or two subjects.  I could also see blocks of single study during summer and winter breaks.   

I've toyed with the idea of doing 5 blocks - one subject per day for the entire year...

My (very mathy) kids would not have the concentration to spend five hours in one day on math and do quality work.

I would guess most kids can't pull this off.

(Let alone that they would not have the desire to do 5 hours of math.)

My son that did block schooling for high schooling also used the method at junior college for SOME courses. There were intensive 3 week courses during breaks. He never took a math or English course like that, but he did knock off some elective and content courses that way.

My older son started as a full time freshman at the junior college at 16 and paid his own way, even sometimes his health insurance. At a very young age he was not only juggling his schooling, but sometimes 2 and 3 jobs. He became a master at figuring out the most efficient way to cover different types of studies.

My boys found out that one of the biggest problems with short intensive courses was the TEACHERS. If the teachers missed too many classes, or did not bother to correct the work handed in, the students had less time to negotiate, report the teacher, withdraw, etc. Despite being the youngest freshman (not duel enrolled high schooler) in the school, he was one of the most vocal students about his money being wasted and what he expected from staff. He was a big boy and socially precocious, so very few people knew how young he was, but when they did find out, they cracked up laughing. People are not used to 16 year old so incensed over staff incompetence, taxes, and the cost of health insurance.

I think some courses are better handled in a block, and others are not. And some teachers are better teaching blocks than others. If the student is handing in volumes of work for you to correct, you really need to correct it immediately, so they have the feedback before moving on to the next lessons.

My boys sometimes had to compete work but hold onto it, until the earlier work was completed and returned, so they could scan the later work for errors, before handing it in. That is not the most efficient way to complete assignments.

I can't see long blocks once a week working for math, music (other than appreciation), or foreign language.

I could see it working for other subjects, especially if you have a student who gets immersed in a subject and doesn't want to change away. I could see it being especially beneficial for science, history, literature.

A suggestion: test-drive it by slightly lengthening all but one subject on 4 days a week. Reserve one day for the subject you have the best ideas for what you'd do with a long, uninterrupted day (science/history field trips, shakespeare plays, whatever) and block schedule that one, removing it entirely from the other 4 days.

I could see math/language working okay on an every-other-day schedule (I wouldn't go less than MWF), which would free up two days for long subjects if your trial was successful. If you did that, I'd go with morning/afternoon blocks on both to lessen brain shutdown.

My (very mathy) kids would not have the concentration to spend five hours in one day on math and do quality work.

I would guess most kids can't pull this off.

(Let alone that they would not have the desire to do 5 hours of math.)

True!

I was thinking an hour here, a fun game there, throw in another lesson from a supplemental program after lunch or dinner, maybe a drill sheet in the mix.  And I quickly realized it wouldn't amount to much...

Waldorf Main Lesson Blocks

http://waldorftv.weebly.com/free-lesson-block-planning.html

http://www.waldorfcurriculum.com/mainlesson.html

http://theparentingpassageway.com/2009/11/10/waldorf-101-main-lesson-books-block-teaching-and-the-three-day-rhythm/

I just did a quick Googe and these were the first links that came up. Research of your own is bound to bring up even better links, but these adequately explain Waldorf style blocks.

We have, over the years, done Waldorf style (not content) blocks. The block was a 1-3 hours a day for 2 - 5 weeks,  though other work (maybe Math, Writing, Latin) was also done daily or several days each week. All three of my children have enjoyed this type of schedule at one time or another. It allows you to go very deeply into the subject.

Note that our blocks were NOT unit studies! (Though of course some people might enjoy those too, :) ) Nor were they all content blocks; skill subject are also possible blocks.

My oldest did a few classes though, almost exactly like the OP described.  Those were git-er-done classes but he really enjoyed it. I think he did econ and a Linux class for an exam this way, maybe others.

I did meet a grad from the other college that uses this one-class-at-a-time system (can't remember the name) and she loved it.  Got into grad school at Duke or some such so it worked for her, lol.

Georgia

I have heard a lot of complaints about a local high school that does blocks. Instead of doing Algebra all year, they do it only for a semester, but have a longer class period and fewer classes per day. The problem is that during the semester off math, the kids often forget a lot more. Then they struggle when they go to the next level of math.

My kids would NOT do well with blocks at this point in time. They don't have the attention span to spend hours on one subject, and frankly, neither do I. :lol: I could see using blocks within a week (say math 3 days per week for longer time) if a student has amazing concentration skills. History and science would probably work well as blocks at the elementary level.