Menu

Your favorite 5K running apps (for a non-runner)?

madteaparty

My sister and DS (10) will do their first 5K in about 8 weeks, and DS would like to train (sister is a marathon runner). I have to go along for the training since I don't want him running on his own. I hate running. I can walk pretty much forever, I can also swim leisurely pretty much forever, but other than that I do not believe in exerting self ;) I don't see the point and it bores me and good music never helps either.

Any apps for non-runners? DS likes to run, so this is mainly for me ;)

Ds and I did the Couch-to-5K thing last year. I'm guessing there is an app although we just printed out the plan and put it on the fridge. I'm a non-runner also and it was pretty easy to follow. Having the intervals of running and walking gave me something to focus on. 

Not an app but look up Hal Higdons novice 5k plan. I've used his plans to train for two half marathons and love his approach. If you want a run/walk method look up Jeff Galloway. You can't go wrong with either one they are both running experts who are widely respected.

Ds and I did the Couch-to-5K thing last year. I'm guessing there is an app although we just printed out the plan and put it on the fridge. I'm a non-runner also and it was pretty easy to follow. Having the intervals of running and walking gave me something to focus on. 

Do you recall what print out you used? many thanks!

I am definitely a non-runner (caution: understatement alert), but I am currently using this version of Couch to 5K successfully:

http://c25kfree.com/

It's just enough to present a challenge to me each week, but not enough that I've become discouraged. I like that it runs simultaneously on my iPhone with my podcast app so I can listen to something else while I jog.