Menu

European travelers, please help me with... adapters? converters?

TrixieB

If I want to take my rechargeable camera batteries and my Kindle to Europe (from the U.S.) and I will need to plug them in and recharge them there, what device do I buy that will let me plug my U.S. equipment into the wall without frying everything? (ETA: this is for a short trip, only taking camera w/rechargeable batteries & Kindle so those are the only things that need to be plugged in)

Adapter? Converter? Transformer?  I am so confused! 

If you could link me to a specific whatever-I-need on Amazon, I would be so grateful!

Have a look at the appliances you want to plug in.  Somewhere on the back, it might say something like 120/240V.  If that's the case (or if the instructions/manufacturer say that it is dual voltage) then all you need is a plug adapter (like the one linked by the pp).  If not, then you are going to need a transformer, or perhaps to rebuy the appliance overseas.

L

My husband travels a lot (USAF) and he has an adapter similar to the link posted above.  He travels with a Kindle, ipad, iphone, and laptop (he's quite the tech junkie) and the one adapter he has seems to be enough.  I do remember seeing that his also has a USB connection, too.  I have no idea where he got it, or what he paid for it, but I would guess Amazon.

We use the Samsonite travel adaptor similar to link. Samsonite has another model which comes with two usb ports and that would be even better for your purpose since you can charge up your Kindle with the usb port.

We bought it at BB&B store with coupon since it was cheaper than the price at the Samsonite outlet store.