Menu

Why do people quit playing in the middle of games?

debodun

I've noticed more times than not, when I am playing online games, if the other players (or player) get behind or it doesn't seem they are going to win, they just quit playing. To me this shows poor sportsmanship and immature personalities. Can you imagine if the Yankees were plaing the Red Sox and were behind 3 runs in the 7th inning, and they just walked off the field!!! Are people so shallow these days thay they can't stand losing a silly game?

I've noticed more times than not, when I am playing online games, if the other players (or player) get behind or it doesn't seem they are going to win, they just quit playing. To me this shows poor sportsmanship and immature personalities. ... Are people so shallow these days thay they can't stand losing a silly game?

Yes. You've answered your own question. :)

Or they are not finding it fun any more. Why keep playing a silly game if you're not having fun? The Yankees and the Red Sox have fans watching and are getting paid.

I wouldn't play with someone unless I intended to play a whole game. But I can see why people don't.

If you are playing it online, I imagine there is no way to tell whether they signed off in a huff or to meet the EMS people at the front door. Or to review answers to a math lesson. Or to scramble up some dinner before the hungry rest of the family gets home.

But I guess if it's *always* the non-point-leader checking out, I can see how that would be more frustrating.

I quit in the middle of Words With Friends if I think the other person is cheating - as in, use one of the many apps that help you win by suggesting words.

Oh, I change my answer.  I quit Words with Friends too, for that reason.  I don't know if it's "cheating" but it sure took the fun out of it every time my friend posted some bizarre combination of letters that nobody ever knew was a word.

She never said anything to me about why I quit.  Maybe she's really debodun and is posting on the internet about why all her friends quit games.

KIDDING! :laugh:

I quit in the middle of Words With Friends if I think the other person is cheating - as in, use one of the many apps that help you win by suggesting words.

I don't necessarily consider that cheating. My SIL does, and so I don't use those in my games with her. Bemusingly (to me) she doesn't think using lists of Scrabble words or a Scrabble dictionary is cheating, though.

However, a different friend I play with agrees that the word suggesters help, and we both use them gleefully. I find that discovering words I didn't know expands my vocabulary (most of the time -- still can't tell you what "qi", "qua", and "qat" mean).

I think it's more whether you agree up front on the rules you play by that's important. If you suspect someone "cheated" have you checked to see whether they considered it cheating?

Oh, BTW, my vocabulary has always contained words that surprised many people. Old office playmates used to challenge my Boggle words a lot, only to find they were real words. (They would still challenge after they learned I really knew some odd words, but more in hopes I had misspelled something.) Jargon learned in a course of study does often lend valid, though surprising, words.