Menu

Losing Weight (low carb) and Cooking for Family

PrairieSong

At my well check up my dr recommended a low carb diet to lose weight. I've yo yo-ed back and forth. My main complaint is that it's especially hard when I'm cooking for my family. My dh is thin and loves carbs...bread, pasta, sweets, etc. Holidays are tough!! Every day is a challenge.

Has anyone out there successfully lost weight on a low carb diet while the rest of the family is not low carb? Or have you lost weight another way while cooking for the family?

I'm not looking for an easy answer. I know it isn't easy. I would just like to hear others' experiences, success stories, and tips. Thanks!

Yep. I lost 20 pounds while feeding carb loving picky eaters. It is hard for sure. My only advice is to PLAN AHEAD!! If I don't have a decent meal planned for myself, I end up eating whatever the kids are.

You can do it!!

I eat low-carb, but my husband and daughter don't. It's been a trial-and-error experiment in learning MY limits: there are some things that I can cook for them and not be tempted to eat myself, and other things that I just don't cook any more. That may sound kind of selfish, but honestly, they are both entirely capable of learning how to cook (I would even teach them!) so if it means enough to them to have homemade bread rather than store-bought, they'll learn to bake. But so far, neither one of them have missed the things I've stopped cooking enough to do anything about it. :) And they do really like the low-carb foods that I cook, so that helps a lot too.

And that's one of the great things about eating low-carb: the foods are delicious and filling. There are tons of great recipes out there for not only the meals but also snacks and treats, so you don't have to feel deprived. I won't lie to you, it's not always easy to resist the foods that I can't eat, but that are always there in my pantry and fridge. But having plenty of foods on hand that I CAN eat makes it much easier.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

My only advice is to PLAN AHEAD!!

And that really is the BEST advice. Failing to plan = planning to fail. Plan out your meals, and have some sweet (but sugar-free, of course!) and some savory snacks on hand that you can just grab when the munchies hit.

Having support is really helpful to me as well. Since I don't know many low-carbers in real life, I get my support online: http://nkevolution.freeforums.net

Also, listening to low-carb podcasts while doing housework has really given me motivation when I was in a slump.

I operate on the philosophy that my family operates for the good of everyone in the family.  If my dh needed to change his diet in some way to be healthy, I would do whatever I needed to do to support him being healthy, and I expect my dh would do the same for me. 

I have drastically cut back on the amount of carbs I eat, and there's only so much of it I'm willing to have in the house at one time.   As Greta said above, some things I can cook and leave alone, others I cant.  For instance, I love stir fries and things served over sautéed cabbage.  I have no problem making my dh some rice or noodles to put his over.  Although, he usually winds up stealing some of my cabbage and thus, eats less rice or noodles!   :lol:    My dh is always welcome to fix himself something else if what I'm serving doesn't work for him.

Anne

When I was low-carbing and cooking for a family, I just didn't eat the carbs. If I made potatoes and a green veggie and a meat main dish, I didn't eat the potatoes. If it was spaghetti, I ate the sauce like chili, in a bowl with extra cheese, maybe some avocado. IOW, for me it was easy-peasy. :-)

Planning ahead is what will get you through. Alot of our meals were easy to convert to lower carb by just leaving out part of the meal.  I didn't really miss it once I got through the first couple of weeks. Alos having a fridge/freezer stocked with low carb foods that you can eat when what the family wants isn't low carb.  I keep a lot of salad fixings and seasoned chicken in the fridge.  That way if we happen to be out late and grab pizza on our way home I can quickly throw together a big salad with some chicken for my dinner.  

Like others said I just stop buying/making the things I can't resist.  My husband knows that I can't resist cookies, so if he feels like he has to have them then he buys a package and keeps them at work.  I only buy the kids snacks that I don't like etc.  I did find that last time I went low carb after a couple of months I was fine eating a higher carb meal every once in awhile and enjoying some old favorites with my family.  Generally while I loved eating our favorite pasta with them, the way I felt like crap the next day was a good deterrent from doing it too often. 

I eat low-carb, but my husband and daughter don't. It's been a trial-and-error experiment in learning MY limits: there are some things that I can cook for them and not be tempted to eat myself, and other things that I just don't cook any more. That may sound kind of selfish, but honestly, they are both entirely capable of learning how to cook (I would even teach them!) so if it means enough to them to have homemade bread rather than store-bought, they'll learn to bake. But so far, neither one of them have missed the things I've stopped cooking enough to do anything about it. :) And they do really like the low-carb foods that I cook, so that helps a lot too.

And that's one of the great things about eating low-carb: the foods are delicious and filling. There are tons of great recipes out there for not only the meals but also snacks and treats, so you don't have to feel deprived. I won't lie to you, it's not always easy to resist the foods that I can't eat, but that are always there in my pantry and fridge. But having plenty of foods on hand that I CAN eat makes it much easier.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Thank you! And thanks for the link.

Several of you mentioned planning. That is where I fall down. I keep a pretty well stocked pantry and freezer, but I haven't been planning meals like I should. It often backfires. I'm hungry and if I don't have a good low carb plan I end up eating something I shouldn't.

I so need to get back to meal planning. On the fly doesn't work for me right now.

Btw, thanks for the idea of listening to low carb podcasts!!! I'm going to look for some.

And that really is the BEST advice. Failing to plan = planning to fail. Plan out your meals, and have some sweet (but sugar-free, of course!) and some savory snacks on hand that you can just grab when the munchies hit.

Having support is really helpful to me as well. Since I don't know many low-carbers in real life, I get my support online: http://nkevolution.freeforums.net

Also, listening to low-carb podcasts while doing housework has really given me motivation when I was in a slump.

Yep, I hear you. If I made homemade cookies, wellll....it wouldn't be pretty. And certain things I just can't buy. Cheetos. Snickers. My favorite ice cream.

Like others said I just stop buying/making the things I can't resist. My husband knows that I can't resist cookies, so if he feels like he has to have them then he buys a package and keeps them at work. I only buy the kids snacks that I don't like etc. I did find that last time I went low carb after a couple of months I was fine eating a higher carb meal every once in awhile and enjoying some old favorites with my family. Generally while I loved eating our favorite pasta with them, the way I felt like crap the next day was a good deterrent from doing it too often.

I've tried to switch out quiona for rice, cook sweet potato instead of white, and make more avocado available to everyone (good chopped in salads). If I make hamburgers or something like that,  I will give the kids sprouted whole wheat buns, and portabella mushrooms (delicious) for dh and me, plus continue with my practice of putting more salad and green veggies on the plates.  I keep thinking about how white carbs convert to sugar for pretty much everyone, so I've felt no guilt in curbing white pasta, bread, & potatoes etc for all of us. This isn't to say I don't ever make those items, I do, but I am thinking they do not need to be staples for us. (Although it looks like some folks can metabolize white rice much better than others).  I don't worry about most whole fruits fi, especially for the kids,  since they have a lot of fiber. Every little bit helps.

It is possible, I've been doing Trim Healthy Mama, which isn't low carb per se but incorporates low carb healthy fat meals and moderate carb low fat meals.  My family eats what I eat for meals, but I make sure there are healthy grains, fruit, etc. available for my kids and husband, who do not need to lose weight.  I just choose cauli rice, or zuchinni noodles, a low carb wrap, etc.  When we have a grain based meal I make sure they have added fat (especially my skinny little ones!).  It's really not too bad, I try to separate fuels and I make sure they have both fat and carbs.  I also keep treats around for them that I don't touch, like graham crackers and granola bars.  Good luck!

I bought a Veggetti. I love that thing. You put zuchini or yellow squash in it and it's like sharpening a pencil. It cuts the veggie into pasta like strands. So I make that for me whenever I make pasta for the family. I do this with marinara and meat, Parmesan chicken, or alfredo sauce.  I bread the chicken in parmesan cheese and coconut flour mixed with almond flour and seasoning, roll in the frying pan to brown, then bake with sauce and topped with cheese.

I'll make a roast with potato and carrot, and salad. I don't eat the potato.

A favorite of mine: Chicken in the crockpot with a little cooking sherry and italian dressing mix, add cream cheese at end and stir. Serve with green beans and salad. I make rice for the family, Me - no rice. I eat mine over the green beans.

Another favorite is tacos. Ortega makes a large whole grain shell with 6 net carbs, I'll eat 1 taco and then have the taco meat on a salad.

Seasoned chicken legs baked and then lightly glazed with Stubbs barbecue sauce (6 net carbs per serving). The rest of the family can load up on the sauce. I just serve it on the side.

I usually make a meat (chicken, pork, beef), 2 veggies or 1 veggie and a salad, and a starch. That way I still have the meat and 2 vegetables. My favorite is sauteed red, yellow and orange peppers in ghee!

The kids will have yogurt or cereal with berries. I just eat berries.

I also keep atkins bars in the house in case I need a grab and go snack. Also cheese sticks. I try to keep cooked bacon in the fridge and low-preservative pepperonis. I also make baggies of pecan, almonds, and sunflower seeds. When everyone else is eating chips, i grab my own snacks.

I drink my coffee with no sweetener and add cream and coconut oil and blend. I make lemonade for all of us with stevia or swerve. They all love it. I also make unsweet tea. Everyone else will have a regular dessert. I will have low carb ice cream or a brownie mug cake that is low carb and sugar free.

I have lost 25 lbs and still going.

Jewellsmommy, thanks for all the great tips!! I have never heard go a Veggetti. I'm going to look for one.

I bought a Veggetti. I love that thing. You put zuchini or yellow squash in it and it's like sharpening a pencil. It cuts the veggie into pasta like strands. So I make that for me whenever I make pasta for the family. I do this with marinara and meat, Parmesan chicken, or alfredo sauce. I bread the chicken in parmesan cheese and coconut flour mixed with almond flour and seasoning, roll in the frying pan to brown, then bake with sauce and topped with cheese.

I'll make a roast with potato and carrot, and salad. I don't eat the potato.

A favorite of mine: Chicken in the crockpot with a little cooking sherry and italian dressing mix, add cream cheese at end and stir. Serve with green beans and salad. I make rice for the family, Me - no rice. I eat mine over the green beans.

Another favorite is tacos. Ortega makes a large whole grain shell with 6 net carbs, I'll eat 1 taco and then have the taco meat on a salad.

Seasoned chicken legs baked and then lightly glazed with Stubbs barbecue sauce (6 net carbs per serving). The rest of the family can load up on the sauce. I just serve it on the side.

I usually make a meat (chicken, pork, beef), 2 veggies or 1 veggie and a salad, and a starch. That way I still have the meat and 2 vegetables. My favorite is sauteed red, yellow and orange peppers in ghee!

The kids will have yogurt or cereal with berries. I just eat berries.

I also keep atkins bars in the house in case I need a grab and go snack. Also cheese sticks. I try to keep cooked bacon in the fridge and low-preservative pepperonis. I also make baggies of pecan, almonds, and sunflower seeds. When everyone else is eating chips, i grab my own snacks.

I drink my coffee with no sweetener and add cream and coconut oil and blend. I make lemonade for all of us with stevia or swerve. They all love it. I also make unsweet tea. Everyone else will have a regular dessert. I will have low carb ice cream or a brownie mug cake that is low carb and sugar free.

I have lost 25 lbs and still going.

Want to add that you don't have to feel deprived. You can make desserts of all types and also breads and pancakes and waffles with almond flour, coconut flour, cream cheese, whey protein powder, nuts, or flax meal. The website I linked in my previous post has tons of great recipes. My favorite cookbook is http://www.amazon.com/500-Low-Carb-Recipes-Snacks-Dessert/dp/1931412065