Menu

Don't want to be bogged down again so ??? on our 10th grade

My daughter's schedule this year was a tad hectic if some of you remember and I am trying to curb that a bit.

However we are struggling with where to keep things lighter. We read and discuss a lot. We do take field trips when we can but this will be my first year at full time work again so it will be a bit more difficult. We completed art and music this year so except for reading about it and for fun, or to go along with an assignment we are not worrying about that. Am I missing anything or adding in too much again? This is also fairly loosely planned as sometimes we jump off the deep end into a subject for a specific time period.

Right now we have:

Geometry 1 credit
Spectrum Chemistry 1 credit

Lukeion Latin 2 1 credit

German with Rolling Acres 1 credit

Muse on the Loose for ( fall semester) with Lukeion (Greek) with English Credit

English 1 credit

Lit with English Credit

HOTAW Ancients 1 credit

A & P 1/2 credit ( fall semester)

Botany 1/2 credit (spring semester)

Car care 1/2 credit (spring semester)

Karate

Exercising

Dog 4H

Dog Training/Stewarding/Dog Club

Right now we have:

Geometry 1 credit

Lukeion Latin 2 1 credit

English 1 credit

Lit with English Credit

HOTAW Ancients 1 credit

Karate

Exercising

Dog 4H

Wow! That is a lot. I count 7 1/2 credits, right? Isn't 6 more standard? She is taking 2 science credits and 2 Foreign language credits. That seems like a lot if you want time to follow rabbit trails. Could you drop the A & P and Botany or make them interest driven (you have the resources, if she gets to it, she gets to it)?

7.5 credits is doable, but it is a lot and will require a focused and ambitious student. It is also likely to become hectic again, especially with two sciences.

What is "car care"? Is it an academic subject that goes beyond the basic life skills of maintaining a car? (The latter I would not include because it would look like padding the transcript.)

The 1/2 credit sciences are her electives next year so no, do not really want to drop them and we already have her art and other outside activities being interest driven. She really needs the A & P due to some of her volunteering that she does. it is a requirement with First Aid and CPR but we could hold off on the botany I guess, although she has been waiting and that one keeps getting pushed off :(.

I could probably convince her to drop German but she likes to read some of my grandparents books, etc in German so she wanted to go on with that.

okay, going to edit original post.

Thanks!!!!

The 1/2 credit sciences are her electives next year so no, do not really want to drop them and we already have her art and other outside activities being interest driven. She really needs the A & P due to some of her volunteering that she does. it is a requirement with First Aid and CPR but we could hold off on the botany I guess, although she has been waiting and that one keeps getting pushed off :(.

I could probably convince her to drop German but she likes to read some of my grandparents books, etc in German so she wanted to go on with that.

okay, going to edit original post.

Thanks!!!!

Could she audit German?

Car care is a book elective ( I just cannot remember the full title at this moment) and then she will be taking a automotive course at the college that I teach at on automotive care, upkeep and maintenance. It is a college level auto mechanic course. Not padding as she will have a grade from the instructor of the class, etc.

Car care is a book elective ( I just cannot remember the full title at this moment) and then she will be taking a automotive course at the college that I teach at on automotive care, upkeep and maintenance. It is a college level auto mechanic course. Not padding as she will have a grade from the instructor of the class, etc.

Oh I see. You may want to label it something different on the transcript then to avoid giving the impression I got from the title.

I was thinking the same as previous posters, it looks like a very full schedule.  I assume she has taken Latin with Lukeion before, my inkling is that the Muse class will be equivalent as far as time is concerned (disclaimer, my son is signed up for Latin 2 and the Muse).  Do you intend to add English Literature in addition to this class or will she take the Muse in the fall and other literature in the spring?  If she does both, I would probably rethink that and prepare myself for dropping or cutting back on the additional literature.  How much time do her extra curricula activities take?  Overall my son's schedule looks somewhat similar

Geometry, (Muse on the Loose/Muse Re-loosed), Latin 2, AP Geography, Physics, German with me (it's my native language and we use it at home), PE, Music Theory.  Extras are swimming, chess and programming/computer science.

My daughter's schedule this year was a tad hectic if some of you remember and I am trying to curb that a bit.

However we are struggling with where to keep things lighter. We read and discuss a lot. We do take field trips when we can but this will be my first year at full time work again so it will be a bit more difficult. We completed art and music this year so except for reading about it and for fun, or to go along with an assignment we are not worrying about that. Am I missing anything or adding in too much again? This is also fairly loosely planned as sometimes we jump off the deep end into a subject for a specific time period.

Right now we have:

Geometry 1 credit

Lukeion Latin 2 1 credit

English 1 credit

Lit with English Credit

HOTAW Ancients 1 credit

Karate

Exercising

Dog 4H

You are adding too much in, and you will have a year that ends like this past one did.

If it were me, I would choose:

Geometry

Chemistry

Latin or German

English w/Lit

Ancient History

I'd count Karate and Exercising as a PE credit

I'd count the dog stuff as a Dog Training/Stewardship elective credit

I'd count Dog Club as an extracurricular

I'd end up with 7 credits.  But that's just me. My kid would burn out and be miserable.

You are adding too much in, and you will have a year that ends like this past one did.

If it were me, I would choose:

Geometry

Chemistry

Latin or German

English w/Lit

Ancient History

I'd count Karate and Exercising as a PE credit

I'd count the dog stuff as a Dog Training/Stewardship elective credit

I'd count Dog Club as an extracurricular

I'd end up with 7 credits.  But that's just me. My kid would burn out and be miserable.

We do not need anymore PE so karate and exercising our some of our extracurricular. It was recommended in the past to keep our dog club/ training/stewarding/4H as our extracurricular activities which I was comfortable with.

Thanks!

She has experience with Lukeion so we are fully expecting a heavy workload with those 2 courses. Muse in the fall and then back to the rest of LLFTLOTR in the spring. Additional lit as we want or find on our bunny trails.

Our extracurriculars are fairly extensive plus she has her own outside sewing business that takes us to shows occasionally and has her sewing at home. I can say it feels less than this year :) so I am hopeful and we decided to drop the botany again :(.Thanks!

I was thinking the same as previous posters, it looks like a very full schedule.  I assume she has taken Latin with Lukeion before, my inkling is that the Muse class will be equivalent as far as time is concerned (disclaimer, my son is signed up for Latin 2 and the Muse).  Do you intend to add English Literature in addition to this class or will she take the Muse in the fall and other literature in the spring?  If she does both, I would probably rethink that and prepare myself for dropping or cutting back on the additional literature.  How much time do her extra curricula activities take?  Overall my son's schedule looks somewhat similar

Geometry, (Muse on the Loose/Muse Re-loosed), Latin 2, AP Geography, Physics, German with me (it's my native language and we use it at home), PE, Music Theory.  Extras are swimming, chess and programming/computer science.

Right now we have:

Geometry 1 credit

Lukeion Latin 2 1 credit

English 1 credit

Lit with English Credit

HOTAW Ancients 1 credit

Karate

Exercising

Dog 4H

Too much IMO.  

What do you mean by Muse on the Loose for fall with Lukeion (Greek) with English?? Are you saying Muse on the Loose Greek Literature? Half a credit then if that's the case. What is Lit with English credit? If you do a semester of Greek lit, all you need is another semester's worth of something else--I see you mentioned finishing Lit Less Lord Rings. 1 credit total for English. 

I would say A and P is usually a full credit on its own. My daughter is taking a college A and P class right now. It's a lot of work! So, I'd spend a full year on a one-semester college A and P if doing it at home for a tenth grader. Then, you have Spectrum Chemistry. I'd drop one.

Then, HOAW is a credit.

Car care is .5 credit. 

Lukeion Latin and German is going to be a lot. It's been a lot of work keeping up with two languages here. 

Geometry is 1 credit.   

As I've written it out above, that's already 6.5 credits right there, 6 of which are solid academic credits. 

When you start talking Lukeion, you are going to have a large time commitment IMO, which I am sure you know from her doing first year Lukeion. It's only going to get more time-consuming IMO. Rolling Acres is wonderful, but, again, it will take time to do well. 

I do not believe it is all that manageable to do 7 or 7.5 challenging academic courses. And you have quite a few outside activities on top of it. Plus, you are working full-time? I think you need to scale back. JMO. Best wishes.

The English that I have listed is for the combined English 10 credit. Muse on the Loose fall semester is based on Greek, basic English and LLFTLOTR(spring semester to finish the rest of it). Those 3 items together = 1 English 10 credit.

A& P we are doing for 1 semester as an elective.We are planning only 3 days a week with labs on weekends and CPR/First Aid training courses added in. With that math it should equal out to about 84 hours total so half credit.

The car 1/2 credit is being done in the spring because she will be 16 next summer and that works out well for timing of studying for her license and so on.

Thanks!

Too much IMO.  

What do you mean by Muse on the Loose for fall with Lukeion (Greek) with English?? Are you saying Muse on the Loose Greek Literature? Half a credit then if that's the case. What is Lit with English credit? If you do a semester of Greek lit, all you need is another semester's worth of something else--I see you mentioned finishing Lit Less Lord Rings. 1 credit total for English. 

I would say A and P is usually a full credit on its own. My daughter is taking a college A and P class right now. It's a lot of work! So, I'd spend a full year on a one-semester college A and P if doing it at home for a tenth grader. Then, you have Spectrum Chemistry. I'd drop one.

Then, HOAW is a credit.

Car care is .5 credit. 

Lukeion Latin and German is going to be a lot. It's been a lot of work keeping up with two languages here. 

Geometry is 1 credit.   

As I've written it out above, that's already 6.5 credits right there, 6 of which are solid academic credits. 

When you start talking Lukeion, you are going to have a large time commitment IMO, which I am sure you know from her doing first year Lukeion. It's only going to get more time-consuming IMO. Rolling Acres is wonderful, but, again, it will take time to do well. 

I do not believe it is all that manageable to do 7 or 7.5 challenging academic courses. And you have quite a few outside activities on top of it. Plus, you are working full-time? I think you need to scale back. JMO. Best wishes.