Menu

Sending kids to sleepaway camp-what to do about tick checks?

HappyGrace

What do you do about tick checks when you send your kids to sleepaway summer camp? What has been the practice for this at the camps your kids have attended? I assume it would be weird to ask a bunkmate to help check, plus that's too much responsibility to put on another child. So I have no idea how this is handled at camps. This is our first year doing camp-our kids are 14 and 11 and we are vigilant about tick checking here at home. (we have had a family member disabled w/ Lyme for a year at one point)

Also (and I am starting a separate thread about this), I am planning on just having them use Deet at all times while at camp (this is hard for me because we're all organic, etc). Any recommendations for brand that works well for ticks, and application tips?

Many moons ago, I helped chaperone at a private school science class camp. At the end of the day all the kids were required to shower and do a tick check on themselves. We were very explicit in telling them where to look. Then afterwards I helped check all the little girls backs, heads and behind the ears etc. The male chaperones did the same with the boys.

I think if they're old enough to go to camp - they can tick check themselves. Do some training before they go - how to apply bug spray, where to look for ticks, watch them do a check, teach them to have a buddy to check their hair, etc. Some ticks are way too small to see - but they can catch most of them. Also, if you're in a Lyme zone, show them rash pics.

I know I'm a total negative nelly here, but they probably do as good of a job checking themselves as my kids do brushing their teeth.

That would make me nervous.  Then again, if you have a tick on your body and it's infected, isn't it kinda too late anyway?  Is there a benefit to removing it sooner rather than later?  I honestly don't know.

Our doctor told us that ticks removed within 24 hours are unlikely to transmit anything.

I think some in the Lyme community have disputed the <24 hr rule, but YMMV.  A friend who has a child who suffered from Lyme recommends having clothes treated with Permethrin.  You can't put it on your body, but you can spray shoes and clothes, or there are companies that will treat clothing for you.  REI and a few companies sell pretreated clothes.  Permethrin is one of the best tick repellants, but you can't spray your skin..  I'd teach DC to tick check themselves as much as possible, including armpits, groin, folds of ears, back of neck, and scalp. 

We are generally not into pesticide stuff, but permethrin seems to have a reasonable safety profile.  Dh had a brush with Lyme last year (never had a rash, never tested +, did test + for coinfections, had pretty horrible symptoms), and while we generally use natural stuff, this year I bought a bottle of Permethrin for treating clothes and shoes.

Can they help check each other?  (I mean, your two kids.)  Otherwise, I think they are old enough to check themselves.  You can show them how. 

When my kids went to camp there was a talk about ticks and reminders to the campers to check themselves.  If they found a tick on themselves (that was embedded), they were instructed to give it to (someone -- the "tick patrol" I guess!).

Thanks to everyone! I am going to look into the Badger and Permethrin, and also call the camp and ask their policy. My kids aren't going together so they can't check each other. After I find the policy, I'll know better how to advise them-maybe just check what they can on their own and then ???