Menu

Skip an entire chapter?

My just turned 7 year old has always found math easy.  She's using math mammoth and is currently working in book 3A.    I accidentally gave her the Chapter 3 test instead of Chapter 1, and she got 91% on it. Would you skip two entire chapters on multiplication based on these test results?  On the one hand it seems silly to spend that much time working on a concept she already gets, but at the same time practice and internalization can be important for speed.   I've let her go onto Chapter 4, which won't take more than a week to zip through before we move onto 3b.  :/

Just wondering what you all have done in the past.  Three years homeschooling and I still question/doubt myself all the time.  

I skipped almost all of MM2B because my son didn't need it. He's doing fine in AoPS Prealgebra now, a few years later. I wouldn't worry. The cumulative reviews will hit the stuff again. If she needs practice for fact memorization, I might throw that in, but if it's just teaching basics that she already understands fully, I'd skip it. We skipped several chapters in MM based on chapter tests.

Sure! We compressed a lot in SM because my DD tended to be an all or nothing kid. When she got addition of multidigit numbers, it didn't matter how big the numbers were or how many there were-she understood it and could do it. So, the next time a concept came around, she just didn't need a lot of instruction or practice in it, and we'd often skip to the end, do the chapter review, and if she could manage it fine, jump to the "fun stuff" in the IP.

Why not look at the problems she missed and just have her do those specific lessons from the chapter, if you think they were systematic?  I find that sometimes my kids' 91% comes from a few careless mistakes, sometimes it comes from not getting just one concept completely.  If it's the former, it's fine to move on.  If it's the latter, I'd want to make sure the get the final puzzle piece from that chapter.

If she's finding Math Mammoth easy, you might want to consider switching her to Beast Academy. I'm a big believer in going "deep" in math rather than quickly.

I'd be interested in this, but not super interested in their ridiculously high shipping costs.  

Why not look at the problems she missed and just have her do those specific lessons from the chapter, if you think they were systematic?  I find that sometimes my kids' 91% comes from a few careless mistakes, sometimes it comes from not getting just one concept completely.  If it's the former, it's fine to move on.  If it's the latter, I'd want to make sure the get the final puzzle piece from that chapter.

The problems she missed are because she didn't write the math out at all - just an answer.  As in, she was asked to do two separate multiplication problems and add them together.  Doing stuff in her head instead of showing her work is an issue we have.  Its a tough one because usually she's right, and I can see she thinks it is a waste of time... but as the problems become more complex and involve more steps she is going to make more mistakes.  

I'd be interested in this, but not super interested in their ridiculously high shipping costs.  

Rainbow Resource carries it at a much cheaper shipping cost. I think a year's worth would be 24% (a little over $25) compared to the $60+ from AoPS. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah I noticed that too. You could just skip that chapter and do some speed drills instead. Chapter 1 and 2 are on different topics than 3 though aren't they? (I just bought 3A but I haven't managed to download it yet).

Rainbow Resource sells BA- is their shipping any more reasonable for you?

Still 50% shipping to New Zealand. Not sure it is much cheaper.

A lot of the issue is you are buying blind unless you know someone else using it. Ds is not quite ready though.

My dd is a similar age and a similar math level it would seem.  I do not generally skip entire chapters unless they are ridiculously easy for her, rather i will print out 1 or 2 pages per chapter for her to do quickly trying to pick the pages that hopefully she will find the most challenging of the lot or just getting her to do the review pages at the end of hte chapter. Having said that though she pretty much skipped all of MM2A and 2B doing about 12 pages from each, she went through both books in level 2 in under 2 weeks (before she officially started 2nd grade).

Often, issues around how to use a resource can be solved just by restating why you are using the resource in the first place and going from there. If you are aiming to provide lots of extra practice on things she already knows, do every chapter. If you need/want to 100% complete the level 3 curriculum, do every chapter. But if your main aim is to keep her moving forward in math, and you know that she understands the material already, there doesn't seem to be any point in lingering on it.

• 2 weeks later...