Menu

nm

wapiti

What size does she wear?  My 14 yo tried on about a thousand suits at Athleta last weekend, and the band of the non-adjustable XXS was too tight around the chest (she is a swimmer--big lungs, not big anything else, so the XS was baggy), so perhaps their XXS would fit your 13 yo as well.  Several adjustable tops fit her in the XS and were too tight in the XXS.  Old Navy's tops also fit, though they had very few XSs and no XXSs (they may not even come in an XXS).  We found nothing at Target that wasn't itty-bitty (and frankly, that looks silly when you have nothing to put in it).  I was surprised at how many suits fit at Athleta.  They only had one that I had to veto on account of my "no strings on bottoms" rule, but both of my girls ended up with suits from there.  

We had a tough time swimsuit shopping this year.  We ended up having DD choose a cute, modest red ruffled bikini top from Old Navy, and then I bought her a pair of high-waisted black dance shorts from Dancewear Solutions to go with it.  It's the cutest swimsuit combo! 

Love this idea!!  My oldest is so darn picky, she might wear this.

My almost 13 y/o dd is also very skinny. She is 5'2" and about 95 lbs.  We found these two swimsuit tops at Kohls:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1551488/nike-striped-racerback-tankini-top-womens.jsp

and

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1605139/so-bandeaukini-top-juniors.jsp

She bought the Nike one in a cute coral and grey stripe (not shown onthe website) and the polka dot one in black/white with hot pink trim.  She paired the nike one with the matching bottoms and the polka dot one with a swim mini.  The suits are very stylish and modest but didn't break my budget.  The suits have held up well in the water (no riding up, etc) The Nike runs really small in the top. 

Good luck!  Swim suit shopping with this age is so stressful.  It is hard to find something that is either too babyish or is a string bikini.  I would also suggest Academy Sports if Kohls doesn't work.  They have a great selection.  Our store unfortunately was out of the extra smalls.

Robin

Love this idea!!  My oldest is so darn picky, she might wear this.

Honestly, if we wouldn't have found the cute top, I was planning on buying both a pair of shorts and a crop top meant for dance to use as a swimsuit.  She wears them every day anyway, so having a dedicated set for swim would have been perfect- they have more coverage than most bikinis.

The high-waisted shorts can fold down as well to look more like regular shorts.  At first I thought they were... strange.  I wouldn't want to wear them, but my DD thought they were very stylish, so we got them.  I'm thrilled- she prefers them up, so it's almost like she's wearing a one-piece suit.  We both win.  She got a two piece suit, I got the coverage I prefer without one bit of argument.