Menu

multisyllable words (similar to Rewards)

Does anyone know if there are other programs similar to Rewards (or Dancing Bears C) with lots of mixed multisyllable word practice?    I have tried coming up with my own words and have been failing (too hard or too rare of a decoding) and the Rewards Social/Science extra books moved too much toward passage reading and not enough single word practice.  So far it seems that everything else I have looked at is word families grouped together.

Addtl info (added from post a few down):

I suppose a short passage reading with the 'hard' words listed prior would do if I can't find anything else - if it was at the middle school level and the passage wasn't too long.  The Rewards Plus books are high school level and the passage is too long and too hard at this point - she can get through them but it is painful for both of us -- although I do really like the style of them - real information instead of the made up (and boring) 'stories' that passages like that often have.  

But what I'd really like is the words alone - because I have been able to find much more interesting 'real' reading (novels or history books) at the right level  - but I believe she needs more word strategy practice separate from actual reading.   I know I can read ahead and pull out words ahead from these books (that is my current plan as yet unimplemented) - it's just that 'real' programs always go over better than 'mom created' ones (even if I copy stuff from a real program - if it looks mom created then we just butt heads about it so much more :sigh: )

Addtl info (added to OP as well):

I suppose a short passage reading with the 'hard' words listed prior would do if I can't find anything else - if it was at the middle school level and the passage wasn't too long.  The Rewards Plus books are high school level and the passage is too long and too hard at this point - she can get through them but it is painful for both of us -- although I do really like the style of them - real information instead of the made up (and boring) 'stories' that passages like that often have.  

But what I'd really like is the words alone - because I have been able to find much more interesting 'real' reading (novels or history books) at the right level  - but I believe she needs more word strategy practice separate from actual reading.   I know I can read ahead and pull out words ahead from these books (that is my current plan as yet unimplemented) - it's just that 'real' programs always go over better than 'mom created' ones (even if I copy stuff from a real program - if it looks mom created then we just butt heads about it so much more :sigh: )

Have you looked at Megawords?  We went through the entire series from Megawords and it helped my guys. Check out also Just Words (A Wilson Reading program) – This new program is designed for students who have mastery of basic reading skills, but have difficulty with multisyllable words.  And, Advanced Language Toolkit – The Advanced Language Toolkit (ATK) is not a workbook-based program. It is similar to Just Words and is designed for you to work with your child in order to teach him advanced word attack skills. ATK assumes your child has already obtained a 6th grade reading ability.

I am having trouble with my post!!!!  So I am going to be brief.

I didn't see anything like this on Oxton House, I would love to know if I just missed it.  I saw up to 2-syllable words. I may have been in the wrong part of the site.

Abecedarian Level C or D might be an option.  

I had hoped to use a book I have now.  Week by Week Phonics and Word Study by Wiley Blevins.  I will do a little out of it, but it is not one where we will go through the program, he is not ready.  It does have a lot of word lists.  I think the stronger part of the book is where it is set up by common word syllables,  You are supposed to make flash cards of common syllables and practice with words with the common syllables.  It has a column 3 of slightly harder words and I don't think he is ready for a lot of them  

There is a little with suffixes/prefixes...... I don't think I will be able to use it, I will need to get something else more focused or with more of the teacher part spelled out ---- that part is more like a base for a classroom teacher to design a lesson, not so much for me -- b/c I like more open-and-go.  I have his companion book and he has a lot of word lists in there, but also set up for teachers who need words for word study for a classroom lesson.  It is a good book, though, I have used it for ideas.  

Here is an example from Week 16:

age ageless agelessness voyage

cit citizen citrus explicit

cle cycle uncle vehicle

co coconut coordination coincide

cov cover recovered covet

da David data foundation

dif different difficult differentiation

ence excellence difference obedience

Week 6

po polite potential repossess

sion television tension dimension

vi vibrate vital violate

el elevator element eloquent

pa paper pastry patience

ture picture mature structure

for forest fortune forbid

This summer the top priority is Reflex Math and math facts.  I am hopeful.  I may get him more math stuff -- but I think Reflex Math is going very well.  I kind-of want him to do typing but I am not going to push it if he really doesn't want to.  I think he will need to do math computation a little -- I am thinking maybe ixl.com.  Just for some review -- and he does hate paper and pencil, so workbooks are not an option.  I have cursive from OT -- he does not need to do much, just  review his letter formations so he does not forget how to form his letters.  She said a few lines in a week would be enough to not lose ground.  

For reading I want him to read.  I think for now -- I am going to do vocabulary and exposure to harder words for decoding, from what he is reading.  Words do pop up.  I have a few like this... he has gotten a lot of words, but he is having trouble with "exhaustion." So for now -- I am just going over it with him.  I have the flashcards and it takes just a minute, he does like it when he surprises me by reading a word I don't think he will get.  Like -- radiate.  He read it correctly!  It is kind-of half decoding and half vocabulary, and I am not too concerned about it...... I think for now, it is okay if these are harder words for him.  

There is another possible word list I looked at once, if I can find it again.  It was a vocabulary book organized by word parts.  

Have you looked at Megawords?  We went through the entire series from Megawords and it helped my guys. Check out also Just Words (A Wilson Reading program) – This new program is designed for students who have mastery of basic reading skills, but have difficulty with multisyllable words.  And, Advanced Language Toolkit – The Advanced Language Toolkit (ATK) is not a workbook-based program. It is similar to Just Words and is designed for you to work with your child in order to teach him advanced word attack skills. ATK assumes your child has already obtained a 6th grade reading ability.

Just Words looks awesome and perfect for my son but OUCH the price is HIGH! I keep going back and forth on what to do with my own son. I did LoE Essentials and for the most part it was easy but there are certain words that don't follow the rules- like in spelling w/wh words and then in spelling and reading the unaccented syllables really mess him up. I bought Apples and Pears but I don't know that it is the best fit. I bought the new readers for LoE Essentials to work on fluency but I really don't think they will be enough and then I just think we just need to practice more. The NP told me to just let him use spell-check.

She has done Abecedarian C but that style does not really work for her.  Megawords looks more like Abecedarian than Rewards/Dancing Bears.

I haven't been able to find a good description or sample of Advanced Learning Toolkit.

I got one of Wiley Blevins books out on ILL loan a while back and I was thinking it was more family based than your example, Lecka.   Maybe I got a different book or am confusing it with something else though.   I will look at those again. 

I was looking at Vocabulary Cartoons and Vocabulary Cartoon of the Day last night, thinking something like that might work - although it seems like we'd go through them pretty fast. 

and then I just think we just need to practice more. The NP told me to just let him use spell-check.

If you think he knows the rules well enough, you could use the self-correction method.  When I was doing research for my Master's Degree, one of the questions I was seeking to answer was "What works for pervasive spelling difficulties?"  That was when I learned about self-correction as a proven strategy **when a child **already has an understanding of standard spelling conventions and can recognize the correct word in a list of possible choices.  I've written a description of the "Self Correction Method" and have a link to my son's writing progress on this webpage: http://learningabledkids.com/language_arts/what-works-self-correction-method-for-spelling.htm.  Using this method improved my older son's spelling greatly once we started using the method.  I thought I'd share it as an option if you want to go to a research-based practice that gets away from formal spelling lessons. ;-)

I think the Wiley Blevins book I ILL'd was Teaching Phonics & Word Study in the Intermed

Week-by-Week Phonics & Word Study Activities for the Intermediate Grades (that Lecka posted a sample of above) is does look like it has word lists that could work, but is a bit too 'familyish' I think - DD uses that to figure out the next word instead of practicing strategies to figure out the word. 

I did have a 'duh' moment when I realized I could skip most of a program   .... which made me realize that there are sections of the type I'm looking for in Spire Level 8 (which I happen to already own) where I could do the same. 

I have used Megawords with two of my children to good advantage. One thing to note is that, while it is a workbook series, it's not meant for a parent or teacher to just hand the book to and say, "Do it." It works best if the parent explains the lessons and there is teacher dictation involved. The student should have about 4th grade spelling ability before starting it and should have had exposure to all the syllable types as well. The first book reviews all the syllable types, but they do present r-controlled syllables early, which can be problematic for spelling because the -er, -ir, and -ur spellings can be difficult to master.

The last half of Marcia Henry's words, they are grouped by language of origin but not word family.

http://www.proedinc.com/customer/productView.aspx?ID=989

You have probably already seen it but my syllable division rules and exercises:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/syllable%20division%20chart1.pdf

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/syllable%20division%20exercises1.pdf

The later multi syllable words in Webster are grouped by syllable accent pattern and number of syllables, not word family:

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/websterspellingbookmethod.pdf

ElizabethB, I have your syllable pages all printed out and the exercises are already in her 'summer' folder :)

but generally Mom printed out is equal to Mom created in her mind (note: on a good day, this makes no difference so I have that kind of stuff ready to slip in - but on a bad day it works much better if I can pick up something recognizable and say "we're doing this next").   Although when looking at the Webster just now thinking that I had never tried the pre-divided words like that, it also occurred to me that I have never presented anything via pdf on the Ipad.  So that will be going on my list to attempt. 

If you like Webster and she reacts better to a real book, Don has published the Webster in the PDF through Create Space, you can buy it from Create Space or Amazon, Don gets more $ if you order through Create Space and they don't pay teachers much.

https://www.createspace.com/4701745

http://www.amazon.com/Websters-Spelling-Method-Teaching-Reading/dp/1496153278/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400803848&sr=8-1&keywords=Noah+Webster+spelling