Menu

Anybody on a low FODMAP diet?

umsami

So, hopefully this isn't TMI, but I've had IBS-D for 25+ years.  I've been scoped a few times, but in general, in my 20s, the gastroenterologist basically just introduced me to what was at the time Rx Immodium and told me good luck.  On my own, I experimented with eliminating lactose, which sort of helped, but then went back to drinking milk. 

Through DNA testing, I found out that I do carry the genes for Celiac, so I eliminated gluten.  I did not have celiac according to blood tests, but honestly I didn't care, because eliminating gluten made a gigantic difference.  It didn't solve all my problems, but about 75%.

Just recently read about the low FODMAP diet, and was considering trying it because I remember noticing that whenever a product had chicory root in it, I would have issues.

Has anybody done this?? What are your tips??? 

My husband is on this for IBS and he swears by it. It makes him feel a lot better.  Not just physically but with 'brain fog'.

Unfortunately it is a very limited diet. No onions, many fruits very limited (he's allowed 1/2 a banana a day....).  He was already gluten free and lactose free, but additional limits were hard.   He essentially eats the same thing every day. Oatmeal for breakfast, meat/rice/peas & carrots for lunch, a modest dinner.

This is the book he used to get started: http://www.amazon.com/IBS-Free-Second-Change-FODMAP-Elimination-ebook/dp/B007R7SPYM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400160668&sr=8-2&keywords=fodmaps

If you like Indian food, I recommend Lord Krisha's cuisine, it follows a Vedic diet which means no onions.

My son tried it for a while.  It was hard but manageable.  Unfortunately for him it did not make a difference. 

Other than grains, the hardest thing was stuff like hot sauce which contains the mysterious ingredient "spices" which we were told to assume includes onions.  We don't use a lot of packaged foods so it wasn't a big problem. 

The  dietician we worked with recommended this site:

http://blog.katescarlata.com/category/fodmaps/

I hope you find some relief!

Through DNA testing, I found out that I do carry the genes for Celiac, so I eliminated gluten.  I did not have celiac according to blood tests, but honestly I didn't care, because eliminating gluten made a gigantic difference.  It didn't solve all my problems, but about 75%.

It was like this for my daughter...lots of improvement when she stopped gluten and dairy, but still not 100%.    Then I read a magazine article about FODMAP and decided to give it a try since some of the foods on the "avoid" list were ones we had already determined to be problematic for her (like raisins and onions). 

I would try it and see how you feel.   Have you ever had food allergy  testing (blood, not the skin test)? 

My only tip would be to keep reading food labels and remember that just because a food is on the FODMAP approved list doesn't mean that it will agree with you.  I think tapioca is on the approved list but we still avoid things made with tapioca starch because that bothers her.