Menu

Can I save these bras?

So 2 weeks ago I went bra shopping.  I was in need all all new bras.  I decided to not go with what I had (which were Assets, by Spanx) because I'm tired of the thick padding.  I was unable to find a bra in my size, carried in store, without any padding, but I did fine a nice bra by Wacoal that had very thin padding.

Anyway, I bought 4 Wacoal bras.  I did get them on sale, but still they were pricey.  I had tried them on (and I was fitted to make sure the size was correct), and they felt great.

I washed them and on the first day I wore one it caused irritation on my back, a large amount of irritation.  It was in the spot of the tag, so I cut the tag off.  I also rewashed it and put it in the dryer (which I normally do not do).  It is still causing irritation.  I still have marks from the first time I wore it, so I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, when my back clears the bra will no longer irritate?

I've been wearing my sports bras whenever I can, but I'm starting to wonder if these bras will never work out.

I'm looking for any tips to help my back get used to them. I even rewashed them with fabric softner, but still, the bra is causing a bad itch and a rash, just in that one spot.  

Is it hopeless? Any tricks I've missed?  I'm made because I spent quite a bit on these bras.  I normally don't spend that much, but I wanted a better fit and less padding.  

Do you think I can if I've cut off the tags?  I hate that I can't make them work.  They fit so well. 

Yes, to most places that would carry a line such as Wacoal. They wouldn't be able to reuse them even with the tags on, so that's irrelevant. Just take your receipt and explain the irritation. I'd probably just try one in the future and not wash/wear multiples until you know the one works.

I would wrap that part of the strap in flannel or something soft until you heal. If the problem comes back later, you can attach the flannel permanently to pad that part of the strap. I've been doing something similar to my straps since having shoulder surgery to keep them from rubbing on the scar while it heals.

It's not the metal.

Originally it was the tag.  I've cut off the tag, so I'm unsure what it is.  Maybe the loop where the strap attaches to?  There are 2 loops per side because the bra is changable to a criss-cross pattern.

My dh suggested duck tape. :D  I thought about putting something there.  

Can you go back to your old ones until you heal?  Try some steroid cream to cut the itch and rash (over the counter hydrocortisone cream is cheap and easy to find). 

You could be having a reaction to the thread used to attach the tag.  If there are any threads left, take a thread ripper to them to get them out of there.  

I agree about returning them.  If I have an unusual return, I sometimes call ahead to ask what the return policy is before going in.  Sometimes, it is also posted on the stores website.

Good luck!  Itchy bras are not something you should have to live with.  

Can you go back to your old ones until you heal?  Try some steroid cream to cut the itch and rash (over the counter hydrocortisone cream is cheap and easy to find). 

You could be having a reaction to the thread used to attach the tag.  If there are any threads left, take a thread ripper to them to get them out of there.  

I agree about returning them.  If I have an unusual return, I sometimes call ahead to ask what the return policy is before going in.  Sometimes, it is also posted on the stores website.

Good luck!  Itchy bras are not something you should have to live with.  

My old ones were done.  I did save 1, but they slip up over my girls.  :o (I lost a few pounds, and guess where it all came from).  The one bra still has some threads left from the tag.  I'll try and get it out.  I'm going to try one more time, then maybe I'll have to return them.  It's 2 hours of driving to return them, which is another reason I'm not keen on doing that.  I spent an entire afternoon trying on bras, and I found 2 different kinds that fit well.  The one I didn't buy was because they only had purple in my size.  The ones I got fit so well, and she found 4 in my size.  I'm really bummed that they are not working.  I will wear my sports bra maybe 2 more days, then try to wear one again and see what happens.  I'll put some cream on too.  I know we have some somewhere in this house. 

We recently had a ice show and the chosen costumes for one of the numbers had mylar dots attached to the fabric. Several of the girls were reacting terribly to the fabric in the underarm area. I took some matching colored fabric in a soft stretchy material and wrapped it around the armhole area and stitched it down. It worked fine for an area that wasn't going to stand up to much visual scrutiny. You probably could try something similar to the irritating area of the bras.

Edit because something weird happened with formatting and sentences were jumbled.