Menu

Saxon question

dbaeimers

Saxon Math question - I have been planning to use Saxon 5/4 next year with DIVE. Today I gave my daughter the middle grades placement test and she did not do so hot. She would hands down ace the K-3 placement test, but I am not sure she is quite ready for the 5/4. What should I do? The placement test the middle grades seemed to have skipped years from the K-3 test. Am I missing a placement test?  We have used Abeka from K-3.  Thanks.  

I asked nearly the same question about my dd in the Saxon Love thread that is going right now. I was told go with 5/4 - it won't matter if there are some gaps, as the first part of the book is review anyways.

We are planning to just work a little slower through it, and add in extra fact drill.

In order to do Math 54, your dc needs to know her basic arithmetic facts, including multiplication through the 5s. If she can do that, then she will probably be fine; just move as slowly as necessary. Also, be sure to have her do the drills that are listed with each lesson. :-)

Ellie, could you enlighten me please?!

Saxon 3 and Intermediate 3. I have the BIG Saxon 3 book (we are using MM 2 and Saxon 2 together this year, btw) but really dread all the hands on stuff, so does ds. Would using Intermediate 3 alleviate the hands on manipulative stuff? We do use Manipulatives, but I just remember all the little charts and whatnot that dd did in 3rd. I couldn't stand it!

I realize that Int 3 that the biggest difference is no workbook. Other than that, do you know if they are similar teaching?

Thank you and sorry OP for barging in but I had to catch Ellie!

Saxon 3 and Intermediate 3. I have the BIG Saxon 3 book (we are using MM 2 and Saxon 2 together this year, btw) but really dread all the hands on stuff, so does ds. Would using Intermediate 3 alleviate the hands on manipulative stuff? We do use Manipulatives, but I just remember all the little charts and whatnot that dd did in 3rd. I couldn't stand it!

I realize that Int 3 that the biggest difference is no workbook. Other than that, do you know if they are similar teaching?

I can't help you here. I'm not a fan of the primary levels, because I had a feeling that my students (I was teaching in a small, one-room school when these came out) and I would have felt the same way about all the hands-on stuff. Sorry.

The older the edition, the more review. See if you can find a 1st edition 54. It's hard to find the answer keys, though.

If anyone needs older 1st edition answer keys {or full sets} I may be able to get them for you. Our local homeschool center's used book room normally has lots of Saxon & it's usually 1st edition or 2nd :)

I'm not Ellie but I can chime in. We did Intermediate 3 this year and it does not use manipulatives. The homeschool kit comes with a textbook (written to the student), power up worksheets, practice worksheets (the same practice problems as in the book), tests, and a solutions manual. We went from Saxon 2 to Intermediate 3 and it was a bit of a jump. We preferred the format of the intermediate book to the K-2 books so it was worth it.

Look into CLE Math, then. It is a similar idea as Saxon but all workbooks through Alg. 1.

My understanding is the Power Up book is like the Meeting Book. The workbook is simply the problem sets from the text but no space to work them and the adaptations wkbk is for special needs kids with more explanantion/visuals and space to work each problem. 

He would rather have a workbook to write in.

Look into CLE Math, then. It is a similar idea as Saxon but all workbooks through Alg. 1.

I was also going to suggest taking a look at CLE Math. There is plenty of space for solving problems right in the workbooks. They have a placement test as well on their website. We have been using it now since 1st and are very happy with it.

Spring Flower ~ I notice there is the power up workbook, review workbook, and an adaptations workbook? Seems like a lot of parts. What is necessary besides text book and solutions book? He would rather have a workbook to write in.

Thanks!

If you are really looking to save money, the only *essential* part of the program is the textbook. The power-up and practice problems are in the textbook. I found that the tests were really easy for my daughter and are not necessary. I enjoyed doing them for my own peace of mind but if your child is mastering the practice problems, you don't need to worry. 

I'm not sure what the "review workbook" is. Do you mean the"Written Practice Workbook?" The written practice book is a consumable workbook with all the practice problems on them. They are the exact same as in the book. My DD needed them and I would recommend it if your child isn't ready to copy problems from the book.

The Power-Up problems are mostly in the book and I found that we didn't need the worksheets on that part. Honestly, we skipped most of the power-up because it was too redundant for us. From what I have read, the adaptions workbook is for children with LD. I found the problems easy enough to check on my own so I never used the solutions manual.

HTH!