Menu

S/O Anyone else not know any IRL homeschoolers?

Because of my dh's job I know MANY home schoolers but none of them have the same teaching philosophy as me so we don't really have home schooling in common, if that makes sense.  I'm the odd ball because I didn't just take school and put it into my home.  I'm not an unschooler but I certainly lean more towards that than school.  The only irl home schooler that doesn't just school at home is my sister but she lives 900 miles away from me.

While I am (so far) the only one who does not know any other current homeschoolers (even in a vague or disconnected sense), I am obviously not the only one who does not interact with other homeschoolers IRL. Our friends have come from other sources.

While legal and not paperwork-intense, homeschooling in Denmark is rare. In the USA, we were not a homeschool family and I did not ever meet any there, either.

Thank goodness for the forum!

I came back to correct myself...just because. I do know two people who homeschool. However, my only contact with them is through Facebook, and neither one of them ever post anything about homeschooling. So I don't think "homeschooling" when I think of them. But - yay! I do actually know IRL homeschoolers.

This is so bizarre to me.

So why do not know other homeschoolers? Is it because of where you live? Do you not feel the need to seek out other homeschoolers? Are your kids not interested in having homeschooled friends? Do you live rurally and there just aren't many people in general?

I'd love to hear about it! There are 6,000 homeschoolers in our county.

Where I live, they do not exist or I have been unable to find them.

It's the same here...I've looked for months, and the only homeschooling groups/coops I've been able to find are around 50 miles away. I'd love for my DD to meet and befriend hs'd kids her age, but it just isn't feasible here (and because of that I've been debating whether hs'ing is really a good move for us.)

ETA: Yes, we're in a reasonably rural area, but it's not THAT rural. It just doesn't seem to be an in-thing here for some reason, or it may be that the hs'ers here keep to themselves and haven't formed or joined groups.

Do you live rurally and there just aren't many people in general?

I'd love to hear about it! There are 6,000 homeschoolers in our county.

I can't speak to others, but that is OUR reason.  We don't even have 6,000 people in our county!  lol  

We live in a county of 1200 and there are four families that homeschool--us, a family that's pretty insular, a third that's on the opposite side of the county and tends to go to the "big town" (7000) 50 miles down the road to do their HS stuff, and one other family that we're actually pretty good friends with.  

They have twin boys Buck's age and the boys are the Three Musketeers.  (Or the 3 Stooges, depending on the day)

I don't know any here and usually haven't known any wherever we've lived.  I don't make it a point to seek out other homeschoolers and in some places there aren't any other homeschoolers around anyway.  We do our own thing when everyone else is in school and hang out with traditionally-schooled kids in the afternoons.  I like it that way.