Menu

soda stream users....what are you drinking these days?

We have had our soda stream for about a year now. I LOVE it and some day, when my kids are over, will switch over to a homemade set up like the one shown here: http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-06/how-make-your-own-home-carbonation-system

I have made my way through the soda stream syrups, through the Torani syrup series, through some mocktail syrups (blood orange is YUMMY!) and I think I'm ready to branch out into making my own syrup.... Any favorite recipes?

My husband makes lemonade syrup which I think is just water and sugar (heated so the sugar dissolves) and then lemon juice.  He's made ginger ale syrup with fresh ginger.  No idea how he did that.

My cousin made a big set up like in that link.  They used their Soda Stream constantly so it's way cheaper to do it that way instead.

I've made a lemon-lime syrup w/ lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and citric acid. But it still needs perfecting before I share it. But try experimenting yourself! I've also thought about using the plain lemonade packets and adding some lime juice and sugar (no need for extra citric acid with those little packets).

Currently, what we like to use are the water flavor enhancers. I try to avoid the HFCS and artificial sweeteners so that really limits options for us, but I've used Skinny Girl and Sunkist water enhancers and got good reviews from the kids.

Diet soda, I have to have my caffeine.   :leaving:

We just refilled the CO2 canisters at home a few days ago, using dry ice.  There was a tutorial on YouTube and it was really simple, the hardest part was the initial loosening of the top.  It was much cheaper, and we had leftover dry ice to play with too.  :D

Staples sells a Strawberry Crystal Lite energy drink (zero calories and just as effective for headaches as a redbull, but so much tastier).  I haven't seen the same flavor elsewhere.  That's currently my favorite.  I also drink the Fresca like grapefruit flavor a lot.