Menu

Who did you go to - Woodcock Johnson?

Local psych. Maybe try googling for those that do iq testing. Most would do the WJ as well. I know when we needed a specific iq test, we just had to call around.

I did call around for "iq testing" a while back - I was quoted upwards of $500-$600, which seems a bit high to me, for a test? Or is that standard? If it's standard pricing, I'll bite if necessary :P

Are you looking for the WJ cogitive (IQ) or the WJ achievement?  They are different tests!  (In our area, it's about $1200 for *both* tests plus analysis, report and conference.  Personally, for IQ, I prefer the WISC.)  I'd anticipate 1 to 1.5 hrs for each test.  Our psych does them on separate mornings.

I found our administrator through a friend, but I'm always seeing sources pop up through our local homeschool group. As others have said, there are many different parts to the WJ test. We pay $65 for the achievement test (math, language arts, reading) to meet state testing requirements.

AFAIK, for WJ cog, you must have a psych (or someone who works for the psych who will sign off on it).  If there is a university nearby with a neuropsych department, they may have grad students who do it for cheap.  Also, you might check the Hoagies list and the websites of any local gifted schools under their admissions section for tester recommendations.

For just the one test, no analysis, I'd expect to pay in the neighborhood of $300-500.  I do think the WISC is a better choice than the WJ for 2e, however, as it breaks out processing speed and working memory more clearly.

The basic WJIII cognitive (tests 1 - 10 only) takes me 1 - 1.5 hours to administer (+ talking / interview / breaks = 2 to 2.5 hour appointment).  The full cognitive battery takes 2 - 2.5 hours (+ breaks etc = a 3 - 3.5 hour appointment).  With me just the cog would cost you $285, which is about $250 in your money I think.

The basic WJIII cognitive (tests 1 - 10 only) takes me 1 - 1.5 hours to administer (+ talking / interview / breaks = 2 to 2.5 hour appointment).  The full cognitive battery takes 2 - 2.5 hours (+ breaks etc = a 3 - 3.5 hour appointment).  With me just the cog would cost you $285, which is about $250 in your money I think.

You don't happen to be in SC do you? Lol.

The prices for testing reflect that administering the test is just part of the job. The test has to be scored and interpreted, and a good tester will write a fairly lengthily commentary.

I agree with pp that WISC is pretty standard for 'IQ' and WJ III is pretty standard for achievement. It can be a benefit to have both types of tests to see if there any significant gaps between ability and achievement.

But choosing what tests to administer can be an art in itself. The WJ has multiple subtexts, and usually a selection of them is given. Plus there can be other tests that may good for diagnosing specific disabilities. As an example -- a while back my dc's speech evals kept coming back in normal range and we knew that was wrong. ST finally found a new subtest that nailed the problem.

An educational consultant might be able to give you good advice on what tests to do, or perhaps a local group ( dyslexia) might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Just to clarify - this is for DS5, not DD :)

DD is able to have a current psych ed through the school district - but it was arranged through her private school. I'm not sure that DS would qualify through the district for their free testing, as I believe it requires a referral?

Just to clarify - this is for DS5, not DD :)

DD is able to have a current psych ed through the school district - but it was arranged through her private school. I'm not sure that DS would qualify through the district for their free testing, as I believe it requires a referral?

Thanks for clarifying -- you have a lot on your plate.

The tests for little kids are different, WPPSI rather than WISC for example. You have the right to request an initial eligibility evaluation.

My recommendation would be to get the book, Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy. It is very readable and not only explains what to do, but has sample letters for every step of the process. Also very funny what not to do advice. I recommend it because the Wrightlaw people are sound and also because having materials you can copy removes a lot of stress, lol.

I see from the Wrightslaw website that they have a new book, Testing and Assessments. I will order a copy for myself. But I would still recommend the first book to start with.

Good luck!