Menu

4th grade LA....McRuffy, Queen, Galore Park....can't decide. Anyone used these?

ChristusG

I'm trying to choose my 4th graders LA program for us to begin this summer. I love how McRuffy combines everything from spelling to reading to grammar. But I love the simplicity of Queen's language lessons (we use some of Queen's other subjects). And then yesterday I looked at Galore Park, and it looks pretty interesting.

Any information to share from anyone who's used any of these? Likes? Dislikes? Other possibilities to consider?

We use FLL for the earlier years, but I don't care for it past Level 2.

McRuffy will not have LA 5 ready next year, I don't think. I think he is writing Grade 4 Science now.

Have you considered Hake 4? I think you can order it from the publisher but don't quote me on that.

I use Queen's Language Lessons and really like it.   It is simple to use and my daughter loves it.  It is one of those programs that appears on the easier side, but does cover all of the grammar stuff.  I did, however, add Winston Grammar to it, partly because we had it on the shelf and partly because it does go a little more in depth.  Winston doesn't diagram sentences, but the students do label all of the parts of a sentence,  something Queen's doesn't cover.  What I have found is that Queen's is a good reinforcement for this program.   Winston will be done at the end of this year, so we will be doing a writing program next year,  so dd learns to write essays, but again she can use Queen's as a reinforcement when she has to write her narrations.  I like Queen's for the simplicity and what it covers, but I'm not sure I would call it a stand alone program when the kids get older  than 4th or 5th grade.   I haven't really found a program that I liked that is a stand alone program that has all of the components and is Charlotte Masonish.  

HTH

Blessings,

Pat 

We really liked the Junior English 3. The next level is a bit of a jump (although my dd would probably like it), we ended up not going with it because I teach writing classes, and using SYRWL for American kids would be a stretch. We used it as a supplement this year (using LoE for spelling, grammar and mechanics).

Just my two cents regarding Queen LA:  In my opinion, it is WAY overpriced for what you get, not to mention the fact that shipping is ridiculous!  I bought Queen LA for my third grade daughter after completing FLL 1 and 2.  Queen is too simple and easy, and does not go in depth.  My daughter was not challenged at all, and asked to go back to FLL.  We have completed FLL 3 and 4 since then, and have moved on to R&S 5, only because there isn't an FLL 5!