Menu

Rigorous Math Choices...give me some suggestions.

Ok Peoples, can you give me some help here?

My oldest is working on Saxon 7/6 right now and I have had it with Saxon at this point. It's just gotten to the point where it's time for us to change it up. Saxon if you do it every year just gets boring in my opinion. Same old format year after year, so it's time to move on.

I just can't remember where to go from here. I expect my boy to get through a high level of math and I want something that is geared for that. I went through pre-calculus and don't have too much worry I can get him through.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I am scared to spend money and get the wrong program, but no one seems to sell anything like Jacob's so I can take a look.

All you math people out there can you share once again some good curriculum choices for me and as a side note how the heck does one work through Euclids books and get your regular math done as well.

Confused in CA

Hello! take a look at The Art of Problem Solving materials - my older son did their intro to geometry last year and we really enjoyed the course - quite rigorous, yet doable for a self-directed student. The books are written to be self-instructional, and the solutions manuals are ourstanding. AoPS has a variety of books for bright math students, and thier prices are quite reasonable. Satisfied customer here!

Blessings,

April

PS: They have samples on the website

We used Jacobs for Al I and then his Geometry. Then we switched to Foerster for Al II. We used Foerster's older Al II/Trig text for the Al II course...a solid one year program. This one is published by Pearson/Prentice Hall. (They are all such huge conglomerates now, I'm never sure who owns who anymore). Then we used Foerster's Pre-Calculus with Trigonometry for the next course, this one published by Key Press. Now for this year we are using Chalkdust for Calculus. We loved both Jacobs and Foerster. I really hated to leave Foerster for Chalkdust this year, but I need the tutor support. I felt like last year was the limit that I could keep up with for our son and was stretched to my limit as his tutor. I am hoping to learn Calculus along side ds this year, but just didn't feel like I could handle learning it (or re-learning) fast enough to keep ahead, KWIM?

HTH,

I've used Foerster for alg I and Jacobs for geometry. We just started Forester's Alg II, and I plan to use his precal book next year- then cc for calculus-or perhaps Chalkdust. I have owned several alg courses, and Foerster is by far my favorite for a mathy kid.

Susan

I would probably first chart off where i wanted to end up, then work backwards and see what you need to do class wise.

Technically, 7/6 is really considered a 6th grade math book. That said, my DD placed into Algebra in every book i tested from 6/5. We are doing Life of Fred Fractions & Decimals as a review and to fill in some holes, and she will go into BJU Pre-Algebra in the next month or so. We will be using Homesat to do it - so the format change should be a change enough to not make it feel like she is repeating for no reason. She's technically only in 7th grade, so she's "on track" for where i wanted her to end up when she graduated.

We used Jacobs for Al I and then his Geometry. Then we switched to Foerster for Al II. We used Foerster's older Al II/Trig text for the Al II course...a solid one year program. This one is published by Pearson/Prentice Hall. (They are all such huge conglomerates now, I'm never sure who owns who anymore). Then we used Foerster's Pre-Calculus with Trigonometry for the next course, this one published by Key Press. Now for this year we are using Chalkdust for Calculus. We loved both Jacobs and Foerster. I really hated to leave Foerster for Chalkdust this year, but I need the tutor support. I felt like last year was the limit that I could keep up with for our son and was stretched to my limit as his tutor. I am hoping to learn Calculus along side ds this year, but just didn't feel like I could handle learning it (or re-learning) fast enough to keep ahead, KWIM?

HTH,

Thank you Sharon, I will have to look into these options. I bet I will do great up until we hit pre-calculus and then I will really need some tutor help.

I would probably first chart off where i wanted to end up, then work backwards and see what you need to do class wise.

Technically, 7/6 is really considered a 6th grade math book. That said, my DD placed into Algebra in every book i tested from 6/5. We are doing Life of Fred Fractions & Decimals as a review and to fill in some holes, and she will go into BJU Pre-Algebra in the next month or so. We will be using Homesat to do it - so the format change should be a change enough to not make it feel like she is repeating for no reason. She's technically only in 7th grade, so she's "on track" for where i wanted her to end up when she graduated.

Yeah I gotcha. My son is in the 8th grade and I really wanted him a year ahead of where he's at. We skipped a year of school when my MIL died, I got pregnant and very sick right after that. So I want him to move into Algebra as soon as he finishes the 7/6. It's probably a push because he doesn't really like math like I used to, but I want him to move ahead anyway. I would really like him to have completed pre-calculus at least by the time he graduates so I feel a little behind to accomplish that.

My ds was also tired of the format. We have done Chalkdust Prealgebra and Algebra I and are starting Geometry this year. The teaching is excellent, and I like that we can use the same program all the way through.

I will definitely have to check out Chalkdust.

I always thought Saxon would be good, but it just gets to be too much busy work for me and I was just noticing how very little lesson practice he gets especially when it's a new concept and he is having trouble understanding. It's becoming too much work for me to seek out other problems for him to practice on.

Video Text might be an option too - they include pre-algebra in their module A.

I can relate to being behind too - we are too! LOL!!!

Life of Fred Fractions and Decimal books are shorter and a good overview for going into Algebra. Give him some placement tests and see how he does!

Good luck - i can really relate.

Foerster isn't going to work well for a kid who doesn't have "pre-algebra" down. I've got two sons in pre-algebra now, one who is a little slower in math, and one who is a little further ahead for his age. The one who is a little slower did Saxon 8/7 last year, and will do 1/2 year of Lial's Basic College Math this year before going on to Foerster's Algebra, and he benefitted from the work with variables and geometry formulas that use variables. If Saxon 7/6 doesn't introduce variables (we didn't use that text, so I'm not sure) you might want a little slower introduction or at least work over the summer in something specifically "pre" algebra. If a child doesn't have a really, really firm grasp on math, he will only be further crippled by pushing through the sequence before he's ready. My son who is a little more reluctant, who is spending 1 1/2 years on pre-algebra, just didn't seem to have the basic, consistent grasp of the math concepts that will be applied in algebra. He was weak on multiplying, dividing, and reducing fractions, for example, and didn't know his multiplication table down cold and instant, and those are just two examples of necessary background work that need to be rock solid.

Maybe I read your posts inaccurately or I'm forming an incomplete picture of the whole situation, but you said in the last few that he was having trouble with some concepts, that he seemed to need extra practice occasionally that Saxon didn't provide, and that regardless of his math interest, you wanted him to move ahead anyway.

Lial's Basic College Math seems to be a great book for reinforcing problem spots... I wish we had used it simultaneously for my middle son with Saxon 8/7 last year. They would have been great together.

My oldest son is doing Algebra II/trig as well as Geometry this year as a way to catch up, since he didn't finish algebra until the end of his freshman year. This way he can take the higher sciences he would like to take. He'll be able to take pre-cal next year and calculus the following year if he chooses. I was assured by many people that this unusual tweak in his schedule this year was quite doable, and he seems to be handling it well enough. I would much sooner spend extra time in pre-algebra and push through some of the higher maths more quickly than the other way around.

If your son doesn't make really, really great grades on the Saxon tests this year, I would strongly reconsider pushing ahead to algebra, especially a rigorous algebra like Foerster, without requiring a year of pre-algebra. Foerster has great explanations, but it's tough. If you can, get a copy of the Foerster Algebra 1 book, conceptualize the transition your son will be making between his 8th and 9th grade, and then I would suggest planning for some kind of bridge between the two.

"Working through Euclid's books" is not something that the average or even above average high school student does. I had my son do some reading in Euclid so he could see how the proofs were written but, if anything, I would consider what he did to be just a dipping of one toe into the waters of Euclid.

I would consider a proof oriented Euclidean geometry course as part of your sequence--but this does not mean going back to the source. My son used a hard to find, out of print geometry text. Using the search function on this board will give you ideas of other texts with favorable reviews.

Jane

"Working through Euclid's books" is not something that the average or even above average high school student does. I had my son do some reading in Euclid so he could see how the proofs were written but, if anything, I would consider what he did to be just a dipping of one toe into the waters of Euclid.

I would consider a proof oriented Euclidean geometry course as part of your sequence--but this does not mean going back to the source. My son used a hard to find, out of print geometry text. Using the search function on this board will give you ideas of other texts with favorable reviews.

Jane

That's kind of what I thought. I've heard it talked about that they should work through some, but it just doesn't seem doable with everything else we have to get done.

If your son doesn't make really, really great grades on the Saxon tests this year, I would strongly reconsider pushing ahead to algebra, especially a rigorous algebra like Foerster, without requiring a year of pre-algebra. Foerster has great explanations, but it's tough. If you can, get a copy of the Foerster Algebra 1 book, conceptualize the transition your son will be making between his 8th and 9th grade, and then I would suggest planning for some kind of bridge between the two.

I see what your saying. It's hard for me because Algebra was the one math I absolutely loved and I jumped right into it when I started 8th grade. I switched schools and went from a lower math right into Algebra. So I have a bias that it really is a lot of fun, but he just doesn't see some of the connections as easily. He scores very well on the tests and I assumed we would try some kind of pre-algebra first anyway. Now to figure out which text would make a great pre-algebra text.

I will have to look at all the different options that are being mentioned and go from there. I don't intend to push him into anything he can't handle. Mostly it was really time to just change to a different curriculum that will work better for us.

~Thanks for your help, I appreciate you taking the time to offer what's worked for you~

I had my dd work through Math Smart Junior (just $0.01 + $3.99 shipping on amazon) and do the free one month trial of aleks pre-algebra. Then she moved straight into algebra.

Math Smart Junior is kind of fun to work through and will at least introduce most pre-algebra topics. There's a sequel called More Math Smart Junior, but I haven't ever seen it.

My dd didn't have any problem moving into algebra after what I typed above, but she's very mathy.

My favorite algebra now is Kinetic Books Algebra. Jacobs is my 2nd favorite.

You could do the free trial for Kinetic Books Algebra, but it's only three days.

I just can't stand it. Problem is, I haven't found anything better yet for before algebra that combines the right amount of drill, the good explanations, a somewhat cyclical approach without overdoing it, and help enough for a homeschool mom to teach and do tests. My youngest is using Saxon 8/7 now and I just cringe at him having to "use words to write 32500000000" in every. single. lesson:willy_nilly:, and to have to review concepts he has already mastered, and not have enough drill on the concepts he's weak on, but I'm just biting the bullet and biding my time... after this year we won't have any more Saxon products in this house ever again!

Since you love algebra, your son will do fine with your help. :)