Menu

Dr Give - negative strep test, but strep symptoms, what else....?

snickerplum

My throat is killing me (even hurts when I turn my head), I'm vomiting and having diarrhea. Went to a walk-in clinic and she took a culture for strep which was negative. She told me it was probably drainage (but I don't have any) and that the stomach stuff is completely separate. I have never had a sore throat this severe. What else could this be?

Oh dear. I have been having a sore throat, but not bad sore, just irritated, so I thought it was allergies. I also have a fever off and on, diarrhea yesterday and I started feeling bad on Wednesday, still feel crummy. I get really tired feeling and sleep for a little while. Stuffy head, cough some. I thought my bathroom thing was from eating beef the one night, which I hardly ever do, but one daughter also had that symptom. DH has most of these symptoms too.

It could still be strep. My kids won't test positive the first couple of days. By the time they test positive, you don't need the test, because you can take one look, and Know they have it. I would go see a reg doc on Monday. I hope you feel better soon.

Oh, and the stomach stuff... my son gets it every. single. time w/ strep. In fact, if he has strep like symptoms, and no tummy stuff.. it usually isn't strep.

Well, this may be a longshot, but this is how my son presented when he was diagnosed with H1N1 flu. It could just be one of those nasty viruses.

It still could be allergies - pollen season has been brutal for all in my family this year. Are you taking your full regimen of antihistamines, regularly enough to know they've kicked in?

Was the negative on a rapid strep (immediate in office results), or an actual culture (grown out a couple of days)? They should have done both - there's a high false negative rate for rapid strep tests.

And yes, you need to always take your full Rx of antibiotics. It's not just for the patient, it's for community health, too.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/consumer-health/in-depth/antibiotics/art-20045720

Hope you figure it out and get to feeling better soon!

It could still be strep. My kids won't test positive the first couple of days. By the time they test positive, you don't need the test, because you can take one look, and Know they have it. I would go see a reg doc on Monday. I hope you feel better soon.

Oh, and the stomach stuff... my son gets it every. single. time w/ strep. In fact, if he has strep like symptoms, and no tummy stuff.. it usually isn't strep.

This! My kids ALL have it right now and two of them had terrible stomach stuff. I thought it was a weird stomach virus. Nope! It was strep!

I agree with it being strep.  If it looks like strep and feels like strep, it probably is strep, and the rapid test was a false negative.   Been there, done that.  One of my kids ALWAYS presented with nausea with strep, too.   Did the dismissive person at the clinic even LOOK at your throat? 

She did look at my throat, but she kept saying things like, "You're probably nauseous because of drainage." I told her I wasn't having any - no runny nose, no coughing. I've had drainage before, and it doesn't make me hold my throat and grimace each time I swallow. And nasal drainage doesn't cause diarrhea. She only did the rapid test - her response was, "Negative- just like I thought."

I was doing a hair better today, but it's gone downhill again. Bummer. I'm praying children and hubby don't get it.

Thank you for all your thoughts!

Not all my kids had the classic white spots when checked by our ped. - yet overnight cultures confirmed strep.  She is obviously seeing SOMETHING if she is seeing "drainage".  I'd get a second opinion and ask an overnight culture be done. 

Have you also had any fever?

Hmmm I was thinking that dd got a double ear infection and strep right before Easter from swimming in a river.  But now I am wondering if it has been going around.  She was bad enough that they didn't give her the test, they could tell by looking.  Dh and FIL both ended up with it as well.