Menu

statistics on homeschooling?

La Texican

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/can-homeschoolers-do-well-in-college/

I've read/heard that there are millions of homechoolers, and that the numbers are exploding. This link says that there are 1.5 million. Are these numbers right? I've read on here that the college stats are bogus because it's self reported and the ones who don't go to college don't answer the polls. Are these "millions" of people homeschooling nowdays accurate?

Milton Gaither is a professor at Messiah College who tracks HSing. Here are some recent stats from his blog: http://gaither.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/state-homeschooling-enrollment-data-2013/#more-2450

A big part of the problem in terms of getting an accurate number is that many states have minimal or no requirements for HSers and in California there is no such thing as "homeschooling" under state law. All HSers are either public or private school students.

If 3% of children K-12 are HSed (an estimate based on the 2011 NCES data), that would be a little less than 2 million students. But the truth is that we simply don't know how accurate an estimate that is.

I don't know how they could figure that out. In MI we don't have to register or tell anyone anything about the fact that we homeschool. I don't know who would (officially) even know we exist! I suppose that they could extrapolate some data based in states that do require registering?

Even in my high regulation state, you only have to register 3rd grade an up. So when my district lists 106 registered homeschoolers (from 2 years ago, they haven't updated their website), that doesn't include K-2. (228 cyber schoolers are listed separately.)

Nobody official knows that my homeschooled 1st grader exists.