Menu

Question on Annenberg courses

I feel like I'm always posting links to these. But they don't seem to be used much or mentioned on these boards. We've used several, and been really pleased--they're at least as engaging as the Teaching Company videos, and often have a lot more visuals. And, of course, they're free. So why don't people like them or use them? Is there something I'm missing? Really, I'd like to know, especially any negative opinions.

Danielle

TC has such a sterling rep on these boards and elsewhere. Annenberg seems less well-known. As far as using them, I think some folks want to be able to hold something in their hands, and have the chance to preview it. It's harder to "flip thru" a video course than a book-based course. That's my guess, anyway!

I love the Annenberg courses, even though my kids are yet too young to watch many of them. They've broadcast a huge number of them on our local PBS station in the middle of the night, I've TiVo'd the ones that seem interesting and put them on DVD so hopefully we'll be all ready to go when they get there!

They do have some great stuff for younger kids that we've already watched. The "I Love My City" series is great for an intro to cities around the world. They have a kids' Econ series that I'm going to watch with my kids when we do a unit on Economics next year. I also have the high school one queued up, but that'll have to wait. :)

And I really like Destinos. It's good enough that I've watched pretty much the whole first series on TV just to see some watchable TV in Spanish - the Spanish language channel is all telenovelas and really stupid game shows. I haven't seen the printed materials, but I hear they're good.

and Art of the Western World have complemented our history study.

DS and I were surprised to see a set of the Western Tradition videos on the shelf at the community college bookstore. Apparently they use them in Western Civ class. And the cost was over $100. I prefer free.

Ruth

We have used the French in Action course and are very satisfied. I do agree with Jane that you need to get all the materials for this course to work, but it really works well!

My dd managed to almost finish the FiA level 2. I think she had two or three chapters left. ANYhow, when she got to college she took the French placement test and tested out of the first THREE semesters of college French! Yeah Annenberg and French in Action!

I plan to look at more the Annenberg offerings for my younger dd. I prefer free as well, but don't mind purchasing supporting material when necessary.

IMHO French in Action is light years ahead of Auralog (I've used both) as a French course. I'd use Auralog as the supplement, but you won't need it if you use FIA. The only supplements you need for FIA might be listening to on-line news, and maybe picking up a current French magazine.

Danielle

Hi,

Thought I'd chime in. After using BJU's Spanish with my older son and other kids for 3 years, I'm using Destinos solely with my younger son. I think someone on this board recommended it. Our local cc has the videos and I purchased the written materials, which are needed for a full course, from Amazon. If I were using Auralog or Rosetta Stone I would consider using the video portion as a supplement, I suppose, but why not just use the whole program?

Yolanda