Menu

LA in 1st grade

BusyMom5

I am trying to figure out what all I need for 1st grade LA.  I am not sure which things should be included.

Reading: AAR Level 2, or OPGTR that I already have (opinions?)

Spelling: AAS Level 1

Handwriting workbook

Read Alouds

Grammar ? FLL or something integrated into the writing program?

Writing ?  I liked WriteShop, it looked fun.  Or Language lessons thru Literature?

I don't know what types of things are taught in AAR.  Does it cover beginning grammar, like punctuation, capitalization, quotes around spoken words, ect.?  What about teaching the parts of the story, beginning writing lessons?  I'm really not sure what needs to be taught in 1st grade, but I know I want to cover everything necessary.  My kids are reading pretty well.  They know -ed, -ing, silent E, those types of things.  They know very basic sentence structure like capitals and periods.  They have been in PS Kindergarten, and it seems they are accelerated in a lot of areas compared to some curricula, and right on target in others.  Am I supposed to do grammar and writing (aside from just little sentances) in 1st grade?  I don't want to be overwhelmed, but I also don't want to miss anything! 

Check out Language Lessons Through Literature. It's written by a mom on this board and you can buy it through Amazon or Lulu.com. I've been very impressed. It covers literature, poetry, copywork, and grammar (not sure grammar is covered in 1st grade as it follows a more Charlotte Mason feel). I'm using level 3 for my oldest right now and am very pleased. Planning to use level 1 this fall with ArtsyGirl.

I'm following this b/c I am planning a very similar lineup for my upcoming 1st grader. We are 1/4 of the way through AAR2 right now, along with AAS2, and I keep feeling like I need some supplemental worksheets to go along with it, just to reinforce rules. As of now this is what we'll be doing:

Reading: AAR2 plus comprehension guides from Veritas Press, plus a lot of read alouds

Spelling: AAS2

Writing: WWE1, plus a handwriting workbook, like the Abeka handwriting that we used this year, just to continue manuscript practice.

Additional LA workbooks: possibly CLE Language Arts 1 and How to Spell worksheets

Grammar: we aren't going to start a true grammar program until 2nd grade, which is what her big sister did.

I'm interested to see what everybody else thinks, too! :)

One more thing- AAR has been INCREDIBLE for us this year! We started the year using Abeka phonics/reading/etc. b/c that's what her big sis used and excelled with, but we quickly realized that she needed something different. She BEGS to do AAR everyday- it teaches totally different from Abeka, so it was a huge learning curve for me, but it has been perfect for her. Feel free to ask any questions! I have both levels 1 and 2. :)

We're doing first grade for the second time next year. I am planning on WWE 1, FLL 1/2 (he's mostly through 1), and reading books. With my older we did AAS 2 in first and my second is looking like he could do that, but right now I'm leaning towards Spalding for spelling for both kids.

I am trying to figure out what all I need for 1st grade LA.  I am not sure which things should be included.

Reading: AAR Level 2, or OPGTR that I already have (opinions?)

Spelling: AAS Level 1

Handwriting workbook

Read Alouds

Grammar ? FLL or something integrated into the writing program?

Writing ?  I liked WriteShop, it looked fun.  Or Language lessons thru Literature?

I don't know what types of things are taught in AAR.  Does it cover beginning grammar, like punctuation, capitalization, quotes around spoken words, ect.?  What about teaching the parts of the story, beginning writing lessons?  I'm really not sure what needs to be taught in 1st grade, but I know I want to cover everything necessary.  My kids are reading pretty well.  They know -ed, -ing, silent E, those types of things.  They know very basic sentence structure like capitals and periods.  They have been in PS Kindergarten, and it seems they are accelerated in a lot of areas compared to some curricula, and right on target in others.  Am I supposed to do grammar and writing (aside from just little sentances) in 1st grade?  I don't want to be overwhelmed, but I also don't want to miss anything! 

That's about it! If you use all that, or even part of all that, you'll be good. If you already have OPGTR, I wouldn't spend a ton of extra money honestly, unless you really want to. FLL is really gentle and easy. I use the 1/2 combo book.  I'm not familiar with your writing choices, but I don't try to load too much writing on a 1st grader until they are getting more confident with their reading and handwriting. But there's no harm in giving either of those a go.

We've been using EIW Grade 1 for grammar and writing, and AAS for spelling.  I don't see the need to a separate reading program if they're already reading well.  We also use Evan Moore Daily Language Review (takes just a couple of minutes).  Other than that, we just use a handwriting program and call it good for LA. 

Julie

Three first graders here next year, with two of them working pretty far ahead of the 3rd one.  Here's what we're planning: 

LIt for all 3: AO Y1, with tweaks  (read aloud by me)

Spelling: Spalding for two, AAS for the third

Handwriting: Copywork for two, HWT for the third, starting copywork when he's ready

Grammar and Writing: Queen's Language Lessons, probably using two different levels 

Reading: reading aloud to me daily for the two fluent readers, AAR for the third 

I will not be doing all of that every day, though. That would be killer. 

If they still need phonics instruction I skip a spelling program and just do phonics and of course plenty of reading out loud and me reading to them. I also don't do grammar until second grade other than simple things that come up during every day conversations such as, capital letters, periods, etc. I use pentime for hand writing. No writing program either since they usually write in other subjects. Sometimes we do fun writing prompts in a journal. That's about it for English in first grade. For me, a formal spelling(unless they're finished with phonics intruction), grammar and writing is not needed at that age.

Welcome! :)

In case it helps, here's a very general break-down of language arts topics (reading, read alouds, writing, handwriting, phonics, spelling, grammar, vocabulary) and when the average student works on those topic areas:

grades 1-2

- reading

- optional: solo reading (15-30 min. from book basket choices to aid fluency and/or support other subjects)

- optional: free reading (books, magazines, etc. of personal interest to student)

- read alouds

- handwriting / copywork

- spelling

- phonics

grades 3-4

- reading

- optional: solo reading (15-30 min. from book basket choices to aid fluency and/or support other subjects)

- optional: free reading (books, magazines, etc. of personal interest to student)

- read alouds

- handwriting / cursive

- writing (narration, complete sentences)

- grammar

- spelling

- optional: phonics, if still needed

- optional: vocabulary, if desired

grades 5-6

- reading

- optional: solo reading (works to supplement/support history, science, or other subjects)

- optional: free reading (books, magazines, etc. of personal interest to student)

- read alouds

- writing (narration, moving to outlining; sentences, moving to complete paragraphs)

- grammar

- spelling

- optional: handwriting, if needed

grades 7-8

- literature (reading some classics with beginning literary terms and analysis)

- optional: solo reading (works to supplement/support history, science, or other subjects)

- read alouds

- writing (introduce essay writing, research paper, compare/contrast, basic business/real life types of writing)

- grammar (introduce / practice proof-editing)

- optional: spelling, if still needed; many people combine spelling/vocab, or switch to vocab. at this stage

grades 9-10 = English credit (rather than "language arts")

- approx. 1/2 Literature, 1/2 Writing/Composition (introduce / practice timed essays from a prompt)

- optional: a little lite grammar review/practice, that grows less with each year of high school

- optional: vocabulary; many people use a roots-based program, or programs geared for ACT/SAT test prep

- optional: read alouds -- still enjoyable! ideas: family fun "reader's theater" of classic plays, or just passing the book around the table after dinner and everyone gets to read a page or two