Menu

Is Smithsonian Magazine any good?

I just got a stack of magazines and there are a couple old issues of Smithsonian magazine - it looks great and I was all ready to hit subscribe, but then I started reading some reviews and it sounds like it's changed a lot in the last year or so? Can anyone comment on this? On the issues I have, the cover stories are about the Civil War, the whale shark, and Egypt's Hatshepsut; there also are stories of Shakespeare, Agatha Christie....looks great! But, then the current issue looks like the cover story is about America's best small towns? I want history, some science, and literature....I don't want current events/pop culture. Is this the magazine for me? If not, any other suggestions? I do not want something that is super-evolution based.

It is sold at a lot of grocery chains and book store chains like Barnes and Noble, just go in and check it out yourself.  You local library most likely has it also.

ETA: I just checked out the subscription price and found it was only $12 for 11 issues through the Smithsonian Magazine website.  I would expect it to be half advertising for that price. 

It is fine, but I will never subscribe again. I subscribed tnrough one of those "$12/year" deals, received two or three issues and eventually noticed they had stopped. I called, and they said I had not paid for it. I had the credit card statement saying otherwise and spend HOURS of my life arguing with them about it. The subscription people were horrendously rude and incompetent, and it left an obviously bitter taste in my mouth. They eventually extended my subscription to make up for the hassle, but I could barely crack the magazine after they accused me, repeatedly, of lying.

It is fine, but I will never subscribe again. I subscribed tnrough one of those "$12/year" deals, received two or three issues and eventually noticed they had stopped. I called, and they said I had not paid for it. I had the credit card statement saying otherwise and spend HOURS of my life arguing with them about it. The subscription people were horrendously rude and incompetent, and it left an obviously bitter taste in my mouth. They eventually extended my subscription to make up for the hassle, but I could barely crack the magazine after they accused me, repeatedly, of lying.

Yuck!

My parents have been getting it for years & love it. I borrow them sometimes to read the articles.

Not sure, but if you get a Smithsonian membership (does the magazine subscription count?), I think you also get a discount on their museum websites, as well as in the restaurants & gift shops if you are actually visiting the Smithsonian locations. You may need to order directly through Smithsonian for that...

https://subscription.smithsonianmag.com/1111gwo/landing_a.cfm?src=SJRZZ33&gclid=CMLX9M_Q470CFUYV7Aod3hgAYg (more info here)

As I remember, it's not really heavy on the advertising & has a wide, nice variety of articles & topics.

It is sold at a lot of grocery chains and book store chains like Barnes and Noble, just go in and check it out yourself.  You local library most likely has it also.

ETA: I just checked out the subscription price and found it was only $12 for 11 issues through the Smithsonian Magazine website.  I would expect it to be half advertising for that price. 

This.  We have just started getting it, and it is ok, but a TON of ads.  National Geographic is much better, IMO.