Menu

Does this sound like endometriosis?

I am having the world's worst period.

There, I said it.

I'll try to be delicate with the rest of this.

The cramps are awful. They've always been bad, ever since the very first one, but in the past few months they've gotten worse and worse and I pretty much lose a day or two a month.

The other part is that the flow is well...much heavier than usual. I have stayed home for the past two days because of it. That is unusual for me.

I made an appointment to see my ob/gyn, but if any of you can advise me about endometriosis, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

free-sad-smileys-331.gif

Dear anj, Yikes, I am sorry . It could be endometriosis ,could be perimenopause, could be something else. I am so glad you are getting checked and I hope all is well. I had this occur last year and had to have a uterine biopsy due to troubling family history with ovarian and uterine cancer on both sides of the family tree. All was well but holy moly that was unpleasant. As it turns out this was a premenopausal blip that persists to the present. I am glad you are checking it out and its likely not anything to be concerned about but better safe than sorry. Best wishes for a simple answer , Elizabeth

I am having the world's worst period.

There, I said it.

I'll try to be delicate with the rest of this.

The cramps are awful. They've always been bad, ever since the very first one, but in the past few months they've gotten worse and worse and I pretty much lose a day or two a month.

The other part is that the flow is well...much heavier than usual. I have stayed home for the past two days because of it. That is unusual for me.

I made an appointment to see my ob/gyn, but if any of you can advise me about endometriosis, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

free-sad-smileys-331.gif

Truthfully, it is good that you are going to see you ob/gyn. From what you mentioned, it doesn't necessarily point to endometriosis. However, the symptoms of endometriosis can vary widely depending on what stage of endometriosis someone has and where the lesions are located.

Endometriosis can not be diagnosed without surgery nor can it be completely cured (regardless of what some doctors may say, pregnancy does NOT cure endometriosis, though by default the cause of endometriosial lesions and cysts is gone for 9 months). Since my laparoscopy and removal of my endo in 1997, I have been mostly symptom free. Lately I have had some symptoms that may point to a return of the cysts and lesions. Until I am positively pretty sure (as you can be) that my endo is back, I will just deal as best as I can. The more surgeries performed, the worse your abdomen and reproductive area become due to the adhesions that can form between the lesions. These adhesions can cause an immense amount of pain.

Talk to your doctor and be frank about *everything*. Two symptoms that are widely seen in endometriosis (but not always) are painful s*x and intense cramping that is only alleviated with a trip to the bathroom. Not exactly things you like to bring up, even to your doc ;)

Good luck with your doctor's appt.

know, too, that it might not be "anything" in particular. If that turns out to be the case, my suggestion is to try "chaste berry" - an herb you can get at a health food store as a tincture or in capsules.

I'm very sensitive to things, and hardly take any supplements anymore, but this is the one supplement that's never given me an ounce of trouble, and it's done wonders. I have no idea why I haven't simply taken it every day of my life, because every time I go back to using it my periods get so much better.

Essentially, it regulates your periods. You need to take it daily for three months before you can tell how it's going to work for you, but I find it kicks in after a month. My periods get more reasonable, my cramps lessen, my cycle gets more regular, etc. You will still bleed, etc, but it will hopefully take the "edge" off of things.

Another suggestion I have is to consider making a few changes. I think peri-menopause hits a lot of us hard, and one of the messages our bodies are trying to give us is to slow down. Not sit on our butts, but to pace ourselves in a more reasonable fashion. I found the book "A Pace of Grace" to be a great read to reinforce this.

I've had a tough year in the womanly health department myself, and after a stint on BCPs that drove me crazy, I stopped that and have been putting exercise, good eating and lowering stress as my first priorities. It finally occurred to me to try chaste berry again last month and I can already feel the improvement there, too.

I hope things work out for you. Do talk to your doctor, but make sure you're taking the time to listen to your body, too.

Ditto what Stacey said. I had lesions in the area behind my uterus and my main symptom was severe back pain. Again, there is no cure, but I am on the pill with no breaks to treat mine. Stopping the hormonal fluctuations alleviates the growth of the endometrial tissue.

Hugs,

Wow. Thanks, everyone.

This is really helpful. I am so bad about going to the doctor, but I just can't stand being this miserable every month, you know? I'm 42, so I'm sure that my hormones are starting to get weird, along with whatever else this could be. Jennifer, thanks for the heads-up on the chaste berry. If it tastes okay I could handle the tincture, but if it's gross, maybe I'll go for the capsule.

I'll update you all after I see the doctor next week!

It was so bad that oxycodone and demerol was not even touching the pain. My blood pressure was like 165/135. They put me on the pill and I haven't had a problem since. I did break from the pill for a while but after two months the pain started coming back so back on the pill I went. I plan to stay on the pill as long as they will let me.

I'm glad to see this, I've been getting concerned about this as well. My periods used to be as regular as it can get, but lately it's been off. Not by much, but it's just unusual. I've been getting more and more exhausted with each period. And my PMS is going off the charts. Is PMS affected by this?

Talk to your doctor and be frank about *everything*. Two symptoms that are widely seen in endometriosis (but not always) are painful s*x and intense cramping that is only alleviated with a trip to the bathroom. Not exactly things you like to bring up, even to your doc ;)

Um, the bathroom trip...#2? Because I have been doubled over at times and then felt much better after that.

Thanks for all the info!

I suffered from heavy period and cramping for many years and nobody ever mentioned endo to me until after my recent surgery when the surgeon was completely aghast that this issue had not been addressed sooner.

He gave me to understand that a hormone level test can sometimes detect if you have excessive estrogen versus progesterone in your body and this condition favors endo. It may be worth a laparoscopy to know for sure what you are dealing with here.

I wish I had not let it go so long, thinking this is just what happens when you get older - my favorite excuse for everything.

It got me in trouble this time. Now I am trying to be better.

See a GYN and talk about all the options and if they tell you "Welcome to your thirties / forties", whatever (which is what my doc said when I once mentioned it), march straight over to another GYN and insist on a complete evaluation. I paid a hefty price for this and I am here to tell you girl not to make the same mistake.

Best Wishes!

Um, the bathroom trip...#2? Because I have been doubled over at times and then felt much better after that.

Thanks for all the info!

that I often woke up at night with severe nausea, ran to the bathroom and my stomach muscles were tight for the next day from the severity of the cramps.

I am not saying that these symptoms are always endo but it sure was in my case.

I am now telling every woman who mentions this to get checked, have a laparoscopy if necessary. Let me assure you - you want to know what it is. If endo gets out of hands, like mine did, you can face severe consequences at a fairly young age.

I would say, don't be complacent about it, dig deeper until you find the answer.