Menu

Coupons for Epi-Pen?

Jean in Newcastle

The pharmacist said that I should be able to get a manufacturer's coupon for epi-pens that will knock something like $100 off of the price?  I looked online and there is an offer on the epi-pen site for $100 off through something like Therapy  First Plus.  Does this mean that I have to sign up with them for some kind of insurance?  or a program or something?  All I want is to get the prescription without  having to pay $150 out of pocket. . . 

Oh!  Posting again to say that if you are paying out of pocket, you might check the cost of Auvi-Q.  When we last filled, before we'd reached our deductible (thus we were paying full price), the Auvi-Q was cheaper.  Still expensive, but less.

And, you know, the Auvi-Q is just ... cooler.   :coolgleamA:  So says the resident 10 year old boy who likes that it's smaller and that it talks to you.

ETA: They have a $0 copay program, too!  https://www.auvi-q.com/sign-up?s_mcid=AVQCO05411PS

Call your insurance company and ask what your copays are for the various pens that are currently available. Both Epipen and AuviQ have coupons on their websites.

Epipen, Auvi-Q, and I think there is also a epinephrine generic pen now (not a generic for either of the brand names, so the doctor has to write the script for the generic).

You may need to have the doctor write scripts for all 3 and get coupons for all, then have the pharmacy run them to see which is the best price. Ask them to not order the med, just give you a price. If you do this, give the pharmacy a day to do it for you and they will likely need a business day to order one in also. In the pharmacy I work at, we don't keep Epipens on hand usually except for the months of May to September, because we want to make sure the customer gets the best expiration date possible. They are only good for a year and a half or so, and some customers have to pay $200 each, so we want to make them last.

Yes, your doc has to write a scrip for the Auvi-Q vs the EpiPen.  

S/he could probably call it in for you, though.  

Check out the website and see if you like the look of the Auvi-Q.  I think having the voice talking one through it might be helpful if you're ever in a position to need help from someone who is not well trained.  

ETA: Yes, practice with the trainer!  And once you've had it long enough for it to expire, use your expired epi or auvi-q to practice on an orange or grapefruit.  :)

Also, maybe call a few pharmacies and compare prices. Before my mom had rx insurance I did this for all her scripts and was astonished at the differences in price from pharmacy to pharmacy. Costco was the lowest by far. I also learned you don't have to buy a Costco membership to use their pharmacy.

Our doctor told us that the Auvi-Q can injected on the upper thigh even through pants/leggings. We haven't had the need. Not sure about the Epipen.

Epi is the same. I injected my son through his pajamas.
One thing I learned is that if you carry the meds for someone else, it's good to practice the injection on someone else.

It's only because I'd used the trainer enough that I know I hadn't heard the click and reinjected. My swing was wrong at first and I didn't manage to deploy the auto inject. After that dh and I practiced on each other.

You don't need to have a certain kind of insurance to use their coupons (or even have insurance at all).  If you have insurance, the pharmacy first bills your insurance, then they bill the discount, and then you pay the balance if there is any.  There may be additional issues if prescriptions are applied to your deductible. Your insurance company will likely only apply the amount you actually paid towards the deductible but I'm not sure that is unfair.  Our pediatrician has the cards and she has said they are easy to use. I'll admit that we've never used the cards for DFD9's pens because my husband's insurance's prescription coverage  doesn't charge us copays, or coinsurance, on any prescription written by a licensed MD/DO so her pens are "essentially free".  (Yes, I know they aren't really free.  DH pays a significant chunk for the insurance that covers our family and his employees and their families.) 

*Agreeing with the practice on someone else if you are going to have to inject your child or spouse.  If you're getting the pens for yourself, practice with the trainer, and have your husband practice with the trainer.

*Make sure you get two pens so you have another in case you need a second dose.

*Always activate EMS when using an Epipen.  The Epinephrine doesn't fix the problem, it buys you time to get to a place where you can receive definitive medical care.