Menu

home / school / life New Homeschool Magazine!

I love magazines. And I love reading about homeschooling. I haven't found a homeschool magazine that I love, until now. The first issue was just released yesterday, and I spent hours pouring over it (although I still haven't been able to finish the whole thing). Thought I'd share here because it reminded me of that feeling I got when I first discovered this forum and found there were other people like me who homeschooled. :)

http://homeschoollifemag.com/

From their site: 

Isn’t it time for a cool homeschool magazine? Have you been wishing for a homeschool magazine that’s smart, fun, and packed full of resources you can really use, whether you’re a classical homeschooler in your third year of Latin or an unschooler helping your child delve into his passion for archaeology? Meet home / school / life, a homeschool magazine that’s as creative, playful, and informed as the best homeschool days.

Our Spring issue is live! You can take a peek at our spring sampler, or subscribe to read the whole magazine.

Looks neat. :)  For those of you who have subscribed, is it overly religious?  As a non-Christian, I don't really need fourteen articles on why I should submit to my husband.  I looked through the sampler, but it was only eight pages so it's hard to know for sure.

Looks neat. :)  For those of you who have subscribed, is it overly religious?  As a non-Christian, I don't really need fourteen articles on why I should submit to my husband.  I looked through the sampler, but it was only eight pages so it's hard to know for sure.

It is secular.

I actually edit the magazine, and I promise: We'll never have more than thirteen articles about submission in any issue. ;)

(It really is a magazine about homeschooling, not a magazine about religion.)

I actually edit the magazine, and I promise: We'll never have more than thirteen articles about submission in any issue. ;)

This Christian is very grateful.

Good to know!  :)  If I didn't have to pay an obscene amount of money for my dd's glasses this payday I'd subscribe right away, but as it stands I'll have to wait until next payday.

Bummer! I was just about ready to go over & hit the 'subscribe' button when I read ebrindam's post.

Just an e-edition? That's a deal killer for me.

I completely miss my print Old Schoolhouse mag. (I just got my annual edition, but would like a more regular 'fix.')

If/When they get a print edition out, I'm in. But not until then.

I need print!

Issu.com has issues. I have the same problems with the GWS archives.  I would also subscribe to an eZine that I could download as a .pdf. I used to be able to do that with HEM, but they changed it in the middle of my subscription so I only renewed print and let digital lapse since I can't access it anyway.

I love and miss my magazines.

You *can* actually download the issue as a PDF.

We want print copies, too! (In fact, I ordered one for myself, but I paid $19 for it, which just seems like way too much to ask anybody else to pay for one magazine. :)) As soon as we get to a place where we can charge a reasonable price for print subscriptions, we will make them available.

You *can* actually download the issue as a PDF.

We want print copies, too! (In fact, I ordered one for myself, but I paid $19 for it, which just seems like way too much to ask anybody else to pay for one magazine. :)) As soon as we get to a place where we can charge a reasonable price for print subscriptions, we will make them available.

I don't think $19 is unreasonable. I pay $26 a year for each of 6yods's print magazines and will be paying the same to renew my membership to HSC when I can afford to, although I could just subscribe to The Homeschooler for $16.

I see now that paid subscribers receive a download link delivered to their inbox, so never mind; it should be fine for free software users and mobile device users. Thank you for thinking of us!!!! :D

I am also Christian and glad it's not about religion. I certainly don't mind references but I get my religious stuff at church/Bible study, I want meaty articles about homeschooling when I'm looking for homeschooling information. Will check it out!

If it's secular, what is this reference to statements of faith in the contents?

Why is "great science biographies" followed by "feng shui your school room"? And in a magazine that doesn't find this juxtaposition jarring, what should I hope for in an article about dinosaurs?

I think $19 was the price of the one issue of the magazine, not the yearly cost.

Yes, sorry, it's $19 for one issue now -- yikes! If we could offer print subscriptions for $19 for the year, we definitely would have them available.

Thank you so much for all the nice comments! And don't hold back if you feel like there's anything we could do better next time. :)

Why is "great science biographies" followed by "feng shui your school room"? And in a magazine that doesn't find this juxtaposition jarring, what should I hope for in an article about dinosaurs?

The reference to statements of faith in the table of contents is a Q & A where someone asks a question about joining a homeschool group that has a statement of faith that they don't agree with.

I'm not sure what you are asking about Great Science Bios and Feng Shui the school room - but the science bios is a short section that lists some interesting & modern people in science related fields (example: Tony Fadell and the iPod). I haven't read the article about dinosaurs, so I can't yet answer that question for you.

The reference to statements of faith in the table of contents is a Q & A where someone asks a question about joining a homeschool group that has a statement of faith that they don't agree with.

I'm not sure what you are asking about Great Science Bios and Feng Shui the school room - but the science bios is a short section that lists some interesting & modern people in science related fields (example: Tony Fadell and the iPod). I haven't read the article about dinosaurs, so I can't yet answer that question for you.

Okay, after a quick scan of the dino article, it's about planning a trip around paleontology digs. It lists some places to go & what they do. Looks fun!

Okay, after a quick scan of the dino article, it's about planning a trip around paleontology digs. It lists some places to go & what they do. Looks fun!

Dinosaurs are a real sticky wicket in the distinction between secular and religious. If they don't want to offend the religious crowd, they either pander to them, as you would expect to see in Practical Homeschooling, or they must thread the needle. If the article gives the age of any site as more than 6000 years, they'll lose a goodly chunk of the homeschooling crowd. If the article mentions, for example, the Paluxy river, it's not secular even if it pretends to be neutral.

Dinosaurs are a real sticky wicket in the distinction between secular and religious. If they don't want to offend the religious crowd, they either pander to them, as you would expect to see in Practical Homeschooling, or they must thread the needle. If the article gives the age of any site as more than 6000 years, they'll lose a goodly chunk of the homeschooling crowd. If the article mentions, for example, the Paluxy river, it's not secular even if it pretends to be neutral.

I'm not sure what you're asking here, so apologies if I don't answer your actual point. I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone (except possibly people who pluralize things with apostrophes ;)), but I think there are plenty of Christians who aren't offended by science. (Some of them work on the magazine!) For people who are looking for science materials that take a particular religious perspective, there are plenty of resources out there for that. When we say our magazine is secular, we mean it's secular. (I had to Google Paluxy River, so you can be sure it's not mentioned in the article. :))

Just to make sure I'm understanding...

$19 an issue?

For how many pages?

That's more than most paperback books and even some hardbacks. Wow. So what is there to recommend it over blogs and forums such as this one?

I'm genuinely curious.

OK Wait--that was for a print one, which doesn't exist.

Is it $15 a year for digital? That makes more sense.

$19 an issue?

For how many pages?

That's more than most paperback books and even some hardbacks. Wow. So what is there to recommend it over blogs and forums such as this one?

I'm genuinely curious.

I think that price was her point about why it's NOT being printed at this time.  It's a PDF magazine right now, for considerably less.

Most magazines are paid for by advertising.  This is a new one that probably doesn't have much advertising.

I think that price was her point about why it's NOT being printed at this time.  It's a PDF magazine right now, for considerably less.

Most magazines are paid for by advertising.  This is a new one that probably doesn't have much advertising.

We cross-posted!  :)  I realized that right after I hit send and immediately edited. Thanks!

I've never done a digital magazine, and although I'd prefer print, I would try the digital until that is available. I would need to know if it's available for Kindle (I'd prefer it on the Paperwhite?) and also when we order now, would we get the premier issue, or would we have to order that separately?

I want to feng shui my homeschool!!! LOL!

I'll take a look at it. And is it readable on a Kindle?

I would settle for being able to see the table in my homeschool room! But hey, a girl can dream!

I can read it on my Kindle Fire with no problem. I would guess that you could read it with no problems on anything that will let you read a PDF file, but if I am wrong about that, let us know!

$19 an issue?

For how many pages?

I'm genuinely curious.

OK Wait--that was for a print one, which doesn't exist.

Is it $15 a year for digital? That makes more sense.

When I look at the subscribe link I see $5 for the current issue?

We cross-posted! :-) I realized that right after I hit send and immediately edited. Thanks!

Yeah, nobody in her right mind would pay $19 for one copy of a magazine! (Clearly I am not in my right mind.) We really do hope to get the price for print down in time for the next issue.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it in case you didn't see it: If you're a subscriber and WTM member, send me a PM, and I will add an extra issue to your subscription as a little bonus. These boards have been one of my favorite homeschooling resources, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I subscribed. It mentioned places families could visit and participate on fossil digs in the US and Canada. Does that help?

I like it. I'm glad I subscribed. It made me realize how much I missed reading Secular Homeschooling Magazine. (http://www.secular-homeschooling.com)