Menu

An A1C test

Night Elf

No. There is no fasting requirement.
ETA HbA1c is proportional to blood glucose levels averaged over about the past three months. One fasting level won't affect the outcome.

Thank you. It's been 6 months since my last one. My number was not good and I've been on a low-carb diet and exercising. I'm hoping that helped a little.

Whenever my Mom goes to have her A1C checked (every 3 months) they always have her to come in fasting.  Maybe it's doctor preference.  She had a very nasty diabetic episode a year or so ago, and is being VERY closely monitored.  Maybe that's why.  Anyway, they always have her fasting when they check it.  I take her to all of her appointments. 

Whenever my Mom goes to have her A1C checked (every 3 months) they always have her to come in fasting.  Maybe it's doctor preference.  She had a very nasty diabetic episode a year or so ago, and is being VERY closely monitored.  Maybe that's why.  Anyway, they always have her fasting when they check it.  I take her to all of her appointments. 

I would ask the doctor why it's necessary. That's unnecessary hardship if she isn't also getting tests that require fasting for accuracy at the same time. Especially if she's on insulin/medication for diabetes - she really shouldn't be skipping meals in that case.

It may be that they are doing a fasting blood glucose at the same time.