Menu

Did SWB recommend CAP's W&R?

Thank you! I'm really thinking of letting my current 6th grader complete CAP's W&R for the next few weeks for writing just to give him a break. He is so bogged down with WWS that there is no joy in writing.

I'll print those recommendations out as I begin to plan for next year.

Sherry,  I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing! Narrative 2 looks easy peasy, but I bet she'd have fun with it! And I'm thinking of Chreia/Proverb for summer writing.  I think that it looks like a nice, gentle intro to essay writing, which we'll be focusing on next year.  

I did find SWB's specific grade-level recs a little bizarre, though, just because she's recommending the books at much later grade levels than they are targeted toward (which may be fine) and, unless she has access to info that we don't, sight unseen.  Only the first 2 books are out, with the 3rd available as a sample until April 22, so it's a little hard to say that the later books will be good high school material, KWIM?  It certainly looks like they'd be appropriate for high school, given the S&S, but IMO it's way too soon to tell.

I'm glad she's recommending them at all, though, I do think they are very consistent with her philosophy and will get the young writer to her stated goal-place, which is prepared for full-on Rhetoric by high school or college freshman.

I should clarify--that chart wasn't necessarily my personal recommendations as to which programs are best, but rather projected schedules for compatible writing programs that would get the student through an appropriate amount of rhetoric by the end of  high school. I'll make that clearer on the document itself.

SWB

Thanks, Susan! I thought maybe you had access to a full S&S for the CAP program - wishful thinking on my part!

I found a brief S&S here.

I don't remember seeing this before...so it may be new. Or maybe I missed it.

It briefly compares W&R to WWE. Which is....interesting. I don't own or use either program atm, so I have little to say about that.

It briefly compares W&R to WWE. Which is....interesting. I don't own or use either program atm, so I have little to say about that.

I agree, "interesting" is a good word for their comparison to WWE.  LOL. 

I think you're right, that document must be new, because I looked for a detailed S&S previously.  The way it was written, especially the first couple of pages with the comparison, strikes me as a bit unprofessional.  It also feels like they rushed to throw it together, because it could really use some grammar corrections, proofreading, and editing.  Kind of ironic. :)

I think it is new, and it is extremely helpful to see the thought process behind the program - which I pretty much agree with - and where they are going with the program - which I have mixed feelings about.  We'll have to see how it develops.  But, I like the first two books very much.  I like that they post a hefty sample of each, too, so you can get a good sense of it before you buy it.

I do think the comparison was kind of . . . ungracious, or something?  An example of vituperation, perhaps?  ;)

ETA: I like and use WWE too - at least WWE2 & 3, I've not seen or used 1 & 4.  I think the programs are complementary, not in conflict.  What I think is so great about CAP's program is that I think it is an excellent, philosophically matched option for filling the gap between WWE-level writing, where the physical and thinking part of writing are still separated, and WWS-level writing, where the thinking is ramped wayyy up.  Even if you are committed to using WWE/WWS, you may find, as SWB says, that you need something in between them . . . and I think CAP's program fits there, in terms of skills but also because it is aligned in goals and philosophy, on a fundamental level.

• 2 months later...

I am reading this thread only today. The S&S pdf is gone from that link. :confused1: