Menu

Kid's books on space time/relativity/etc.?

My son has become interested in these things. I don't even know the right words for them. From a google search it seems it may be relativity? He watches YouTube videos of scientists discussing worm holes, and space time, and things of that nature. I was hoping to find a simple (ha!) book that might appeal to him, but obviously I'm just finding books written for intro high school or college students. Any suggestions? I could handle his dinosaur fascination and his Titanic phase, but I'm out of my league on this one!

My daughters enjoyed the "Fabric of the Cosmos" series of 4 videos (available free on Netflix). We watched the videos first, and then they read the book by the same name. It is written for adults, but both the videos and the book are very approachable for the general public. The author and host of the videos explains things very well.

What age level are you looking for? DS really likes Michio Kaku's books (Physics of the Future, Physics of the Impossible, and similar). They are written in fairly understandable language for a good reader. DS is 12. He also has a more basic book that would be better for elementary school but I'm having a hard time remembering the title and it's on the bookshelf by his bed so I don't want to look.

Here are the others:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1848311206/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1840468505/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Uncle Albert books by Russell Stannard are also quite good:

The Time and Space of Uncle Albert

Black Holes and Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert and the Quantum Quest

My daughters enjoyed the "Fabric of the Cosmos" series of 4 videos (available free on Netflix). We watched the videos first, and then they read the book by the same name. It is written for adults, but both the videos and the book are very approachable for the general public. The author and host of the videos explains things very well.

I don't see these on Netflix. Not even to order as DVDs. Is "Fabric of the Cosmos" the correct title?

I don't see these on Netflix. Not even to order as DVDs. Is "Fabric of the Cosmos" the correct title?

Check YouTube. I see full episodes there.

I am usually against teaching little kids advanced theories like Calculus, because while they may appear to understand and even enjoy the details they usually have difficulty getting the

big picture and they will forget the details as soon as they stop being taught the theory. But I think the Theory of Relativity is something that actually can be done with kids and it can be

useful for them. The reason I say this is because Einstein used a lot of thought experiments. Or it could be that I am partial since I used to teach Theory of Relativity in college :) So take it with a grain of salt but

I think that talking about time dilation is a great way to have kids start thinking about time. And since even Physics majors in college have difficulties understanding 

that and related concepts, the earlier you start the better it is.

As for what books to use with a kid I don't have any experience yet, but I see that this book has good comments. But be aware that it might not be what your child is

expecting. For example I doubt it talks about worm holes.

The Fabric of the Cosmos is a NOVA miniseries based on a book by Brian Greene. DS loved it.

We've also done the gravity thing where you stretch out a towel/blanket and put objects on it and watch the way the fabric and objects behave. DS liked it.

My DD (6) loved that show! She was so sad when we watched the last one. DS (12) liked it, but I expected him to. DD was a surprise. DDs (9) slept through it. You can find it on Amazon Instant Video.

There is a Horrible Science book along those lines called, "Space, Stars, and Slimy Aliens".

And Gobsmacking Galaxy.

• 2 weeks later...