Menu

Pyrex replacement

aggieamy

I baked a cake yesterday and noticed a huge chip in my old favorite - use it all the time - pyrex casserole dish.  Bummer.  So I got on amazon today to order a new one and am a little scared by the reviews of the new pyrex casserole dish.  Lots of people are having problems with them exploding.  

So I'm now looking for a replacement dish.  It doesn't have to be fancy.  A cover is a huge plus.  I use it to bake all sorts of things - casseroles, cakes, marinade chicken, cornbread ... 

Suggestions?

I love my fiesta ware 13x9 dish.  It was a little expensive but completely worth it.  I greatly prefer cooking in it vs my pyrex and will probably replace some more of my pyrex with the fiesta ware.

What do you like about it so much?

I love my fiesta ware 13x9 dish.  It was a little expensive but completely worth it.  I greatly prefer cooking in it vs my pyrex and will probably replace some more of my pyrex with the fiesta ware.

I didn't even know Fiesta made a 9 by 13. I would love that! Sometimes food looks...well, ugly....in a glass dish. 

I had a 13x9 Pyrex explode a few months ago -- hot glass and food were everywhere. It was very scary, and now I am always nervous when I use any of my other Pyrex pieces. (I am working on replacing all of them as I can afford it.)

I bought this to replace the exploded dish: http://www.costco.com/Nordic-Ware%C2%AE-Pro-Cast-Traditions-2-pc-Lasagna-Baking-Pans.product.100035130.html and I love it! Unfortunately, I could only afford one 9x13 pan. It is very deep, but there is no lid. Things cook nicely. I'd like to get more of them someday.

New pyrex scares me a bit so I haven't been brave enough to buy any and this probably will not change.  We really love Bennington Potters stoneware.  They have casserole dishes with covers and they have the rectangular baking pans and crocks.  We also have some cast iron that I use for some recipes. 

**Bennington Potters**  [One of our homes is near one of their stores so we tend to stock up when we are up there but they have options to order online and I think the ship everywhere.]

These Rachael Ray casserole dishes still have handles but they go up instead of out. Several color choices and good reviews: Rachael Ray Stoneware 3-1/2-Quart Covered Rectangle Lasagna Casserole, Orange by Meyer http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YDN57K/

Is it hard to get things out of the pan because it's so deep?  I'm picturing myself butchering a cake trying to get a piece out.  :)

Is it hard to get things out of the pan because it's so deep? I'm picturing myself butchering a cake trying to get a piece out. :)

I don't have it. Just imaginary shopping! I've seen them on her show before, and I may have been stuck under a sleeping baby when a cat stepped on the remote and forced me to watch her presentation on QVC... At least it wasn't the scary sweater lady.

Wow, they have some nice looking stuff. 

We like it.  We also use them as everyday dishes and they have held up well.  I bought a full set of the morning glory yellow for our oldest daughter when they were retiring the glaze and then they had some of the morning glory pink for a special occasion when we were up there last so I bought two sets of that to put away for DD14 and in case some other child claims pink as their special color (with four other younger daughters I think it is certainly possible). 

My fiestaware cooks more evenly and its simple to clean up.  The few fiestaware dishes I have broken just broke into large pieces so I'm thinking since this is made from the same material it will do the same.  As an added bonus it just looks pretty :)

Can you put the fiestaware straight into a hot oven, or do they tell you to preheat the dish with the oven?  

Just curious.  I always forget to preheat our pottery baking dish with the oven, and if fiestaware can go straight into a hot oven... there is a shopping trip in my future.  :)

The Le Creuset Stoneware is really nice. If you have a TJ Maxx nearby it might be worth checking. I got a nice dish for around $25 and it cleans up easier than anything else I've ever owned. So much better than Pyrex.  It is this style. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/le-creuset-heritage-stoneware-oval-gratin-baking-dish/?cm_src=AutoRel

Fwiw, I order all my Pyrex vintage on eBay. It is gorgeous and not crazy expensive. The only times I have heard of the vintage exploding is when people microwave them for long periods of time (10-35 minutes). They are milk glass, so the air pockets can expand more rapidly than the silicone causing the explosion. Considering that the modern microwave was not accessible when they were created, I don't see this as a flaw.