Menu

Materials for 5 year old who likes to tinker/build/invent

I just asked my 5 year old what activities he wanted me to sign him up for - soccer, gymanstics, dance class, etc. He said "inventing". He loves making things, taking things apart, and building his creations. He has learned that I don't get as mad when I see the things he has taken out, taped together, and /or  and mixed together when he says, "mom, but it is just a science experiment."  His favorite birthday present was 3 rolls of scotch tape that he could use however he wanted and I wouldn't complain that he was wasting all the tape. He doesn't like to follow directions, because he prefers to make his own things. For example, yesterday I brought out tons of Legos and after a few minutes he got the blocks, glue, straws and scissors and was trying to make his own lego blocks. Instead of getting mad I want to try and have some supplies that he can use whenever he wants to build something. I was going to get him snap circuits, but I think he would prefer building things out of wire and connecting it to a battery instead of following the instruction book. 

Any ideas of what materials to get him, or if there are some activity books that would be good for his age to get some ideas? I was at the dentist's office and saw a magazine that had an article  "make your own light up valentine" that he would have loved. It looked pretty simple to do and listed the materials. I should have written down the name of the Magazine but I didn't. I want to start encouraging him instead of getting so upset that he has made a mess or ruined something. 

Make magazine has lots of projects like that; they also sell kits. Instructables is a free website with lots of project ideas and step-by-step directions.

As for materials, I just keep several big bins of stuff in the supply closet, which my kids can use whenever/however they wish. Materials include: duct tape, wire, bungie cords, paperclips, bulldog clips, alligator clips, clothespins, pencils, wooden dowels and various woodscraps, plastic straws, plastic tubing, rubber bands, scraps of fabric and foam, buttons, sheets of cardboard, different kinds of glue, clamps, batteries, and I forget what else. We also usually have a bunch of plastic bottles and aluminum cans in the recycling bin, so they can use those too if they want. And we keep lots of broken things outside to mess around with — the kids once built an awesome catapult out of an old wheelbarrow frame, a broken shovel, and a bunch of bungie cords and wire.

The Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction series are fun books for making little things out of office supplies; Backyard Ballistics has bigger projects that would need some parental help.

Is it this magazine article? Light Up Your Love Life With A DIY Electric Valentine from Popular Science magazine.

YES! Thank you so much, this is what I was looking at. I had never heard of conductive ink. It looks so neat. I am going to try and find the materials this week. 

Make magazine has lots of projects like that; they also sell kits. Instructables is a free website with lots of project ideas and step-by-step directions.

As for materials, I just keep several big bins of stuff in the supply closet, which my kids can use whenever/however they wish. Materials include: duct tape, wire, bungie cords, paperclips, bulldog clips, alligator clips, clothespins, pencils, wooden dowels and various woodscraps, plastic straws, plastic tubing, rubber bands, scraps of fabric and foam, buttons, sheets of cardboard, different kinds of glue, clamps, batteries, and I forget what else. We also usually have a bunch of plastic bottles and aluminum cans in the recycling bin, so they can use those too if they want. And we keep lots of broken things outside to mess around with — the kids once built an awesome catapult out of an old wheelbarrow frame, a broken shovel, and a bunch of bungie cords and wire.

The Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction series are fun books for making little things out of office supplies; Backyard Ballistics has bigger projects that would need some parental help.

Thank you for the example of the list of materials that you have. That is would I would like to have available for my son. I am checking out all the links you provided. Thanks!!!

My almost 5 year old son loves to invent.  He is hooked on Design Squad on PBS Kids.

They do stuff like making tiny battling robots out of the heads of disposable electric toothbrushes, balloon jousting with skewers, contests to build vehicles out of pasta shapes, etc.  Most of their segments are things kids could copy or experiment with at home.  They also have segments with engineers talking about their jobs and projects and the design process.

Wendy

Our 11yo loved this book we found at the library:

Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Weapons-Mass-Destruction-Implements-ebook/dp/B004D4YE1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395691114&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+weapons+of+mass+destruction

Our boys love Make magazine and Backyard Ballistics book, but they really have complex projects that require a parent's help. 

A marshmallow gun or a potato launcher are still probably a few years down the road.

Also Lego, K-nex, Learning Resources Gears, and other building toys--rather than plastic electronic gadgets.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Gears/dp/B00000DMCE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1395691202&sr=8-12&keywords=plastic+gears

Our local engineering school hosts an annual Engineering Day, with contests for mouse trap cars, soda bottle rockets, contraption that allows you to drop an egg 30 feet & it doesn't break, etc.  His inventions will just become more complex as he grows.

He could also take apart your old VCR or computer printer that's broken.

Enjoy having a Young Inventor in the house!

My son loves using MakeDo to connect cardboard together into structures.

Lego We-Do has been a hit here, along with extra pieces from the Crazy Action Contraptions LEGO kit that are compatible with it.

Ds loves snap circuits. He builds the ideas from the instructions, then makes something on his own.

Ds builds marble runs daily. He has a plastic set, but his true passion is playing his wooden Cuboro set. It is a pricey investment, but it really helps fill his need to build things (in a contained way).

Quite a few big box stores are carrying duct tape (original and decorative).  Home Depot, Michaels, Target, etc.  Unfortunately, each store has it in a different department so you will have to hunt.  For example, our Home Depot has all kids of duct tape in the paint department.  Target has a variety in the hardware department on the aisle with command strips.  Bizarre sometimes.   :)

My kiddos love to use a mix of materials along with our Magna-Tiles.  We have two monster size sets, and they are used daily both alone and with other materials mixed in.

I taught a class using Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction, the kids absolutely loved it.  There are instructions but it's easy to adapt to fit his own ideas. 

Things to have around: ping pong balls, rubberbands, tape of many kinds and colors(we have 10 different colors of electrical tape), string same as the tape, balsam wood, wood dowels, straws, packing materials (like bubble wrap and craft paper), wire, paper clips, Popsicle sticks of different sizes, glue, lots of glue. Very important but often overlooked is the tools.  Wire strippers, wire benders, brushes, cutting tools, pliers, hammers (small for little hands).... okay, we are so doing Physics next year.....

Duct tape is great... certainly cheaper than scotch tape... I've seen DS use most a roll of scotch tape trying to reinforce something where duct tape of packing tape was the right solution.

We are connoisseurs of duct tape here. One warning on cheap duct tape... it really hard to tear and very frustrating to craft with. We have had good luck with the Duck brand, which is also the house brand at Ace hardware and elsewhere. The Menard's generic tape is cheap but very difficult to use. Scotch has several varieties... they are stickier, stand up to more temp. and humidity extremes... I have a roll or 2 around the house for the intended purposes of duct tape... but for crafting they aren't very good and are more expensive.

Bamboo skewers are another great item. They are roughly $2/100 with free shipping from amazon or available locally.  This gets you a ~10-12 inch thin wooden rod which has countless uses. Great for making flags, reinforcing cardboard swords, making add on platforms with lincoln logs or unit blocks, etc... sturdy but easy to break or cut with scissors... very handy.

Duct Tape creations are a great craft for boys.

Our local Wal-mart has all kinds of colors of duct tape, and I agree that you need to get the higher quality tape.

It's in the masking tape section of the store.

The craft section had colored duct tape that would more likely appeal to girls.

Also we have quite a few good duct-tape craft books.  Amazon has about thirty, it seems!

Our library has a few.  The boys have made duct tape wallets for Christmas gifts for the male relatives, etc.

And our son won a blue ribbon at the state fair for his duct tape suit jacket. :)

(Yes, there's a division in the 4-H competition for duct tape creations.)

I still highly recommend the snap circuits. Yes there are instructions. And there is a lot of learn. But he can free style it and make his own things too.

I have a book called Physics Experiments For Children. It is great. The experiments are so simple but fun for my son to do on his own.
http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Experiments-Children-Childrens-Science/dp/0486220338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395971365&sr=8-1&keywords=Physics+experiments+for+kids
I also have the book called Gadgets and Gizmos. It has potential, but my son is still a little young for it.

My almost 5 year old son loves to invent. He is hooked on Design Squad on PBS Kids.

They do stuff like making tiny battling robots out of the heads of disposable electric toothbrushes, balloon jousting with skewers, contests to build vehicles out of pasta shapes, etc. Most of their segments are things kids could copy or experiment with at home. They also have segments with engineers talking about their jobs and projects and the design process.

Wendy

Thank you for this link. Today my son built a glow stick. First we watched the video on Design Squad then I supervised with the wire cutters. He was so excited. Here is a link to the video explains how to do it. Ths weekend he wants to add lights to his castle.
http://pbskids.org/designsquad/build/glow-sticks/