Menu

What is your favorite science for 8 & 11 year olds?

The library and the great outdoors.

:iagree: Whatever they are interested in.  There will be plenty of time in the future to do formal science programs - right now, just whatever helps them see how cool, interesting, and mindblowing science can be.  For my 11 yo, this year it was Astronomy, which led to an interest in learning some basic physics.  For my 7 yo, it's mostly been animals, animals, and more animals, plus anything Bill Nye, Wild Kratt, and Magic Schoolbus have to offer.  We got some kits, made some oobleck, watched mold grow on bread, made butter and sourdough starter . . .  whatever is interesting and engaging.  

My 10 year old loves SciGirls videos on YouTube. We also check out library books, use AHa! Science ($15 a year), and fun science projects. We just bought a Solar system kit to paint and put together. Nothing planned out for us, and her science literacy is very good.

http://www.christianbook.com/science-in-the-beginning/jay-wile/pd/042455?item_code=WW&netp_id=1180668&event=ESRCG&view=details

I am looking at this now... I am at a home school convention and I glanced at it today.  I believe it is for K-6 and I did see some of the lab list... so far it looks like easy to find items.  

The Kit is too high for me to buy so I am interested to see if I can put it together as we go.  I like that it does have different suggestions for 3 levels in it.