Menu

Recommendations for a Spelling Program

TheRosySeven

I have an 8, 7, and 5 year old in school at the moment. My 8 year old is a boy and 7 year old is a girl and they're basically doing the same things. My 5 year old is obviously just starting K. But I'm looking for a good spelling program to go along with what we're already doing. 

English R&S

Math R&S

History of the World

regular reading times

We tried R&S spelling and we just didn't like it. We love the english and math but something about the spelling just wasn't making sense. Can anyone recommend another program? 

Thanks! 

You might check out All About Spelling, that worked well for my kids. 

Yup.  I've gone through the program twice now and am going to start with my soon to be 7 year old.  She's a very manipulatives based and visual learner and gets distracted doing copywork.  She'll even get distracted halfway through writing down a 3 letter word.  I like that it will easily work for her also due to all the letter tiles.  My first learner didn't care for the tiles as much - the program still worked.  My second learner used the tiles about 1/2 the time - the program still worked.  

Beth

I like Sequential Spelling. I'm also using WRTR for spelling with my 6 year old. He likes the Spelling Workout workbook as well. I think SWO would be okay for a kid who liked workbooks. ETC covers phonics and helps a bit with spelling as well.

I sort of drool over AAS and AAR, those would be good choices as well.

I use All About Spelling with my Ds8. We started back with AAS when he was 7 and are now a few lessons into AAS 3. The list method wasn't giving him retention, so I decided to try AAS. We like it (no complaints at all from him about it!), but I am considering switching to Phonetic Zoo after we finish AAS 3. I will be starting my DS5 on AAS1 in the fall.

Pros: multi-sensory, easy to teach

Cons: teacher intensive, price

HTH!

I love AAS.  I can see that both of my children are actually learning.  They aren't memorizing the words, they are understanding why the words are spelled the way they are spelled.  We have only learned a couple rules so far, since we are early on, but it's really great.

DS loves it because we use the iPad instead of tiles.  There's an app of the Montessori moveable alphabet that works well.  We also use the AAS app for the sounds.  DS learned all of the sounds in a few days without me teaching him, so that was nice.  ;)  And that one is free.

I am so happy with AAS.  It's helping ds with reading as well.  He is a new reader, and the spelling definitely helps reinforce phonics.