Menu

Bent pictures in mail. How would you handle this

I just received my picture order for my dd's pom pictures from competition. They came in a large envelope that was clearly labeled on the front and back "pictures-don't bend". When I opened the mailbox I found the envelope bent in half. Needless to say, the pictures are completely bent and ruined. I had ordered an 8 1/2 X 11 and a few 5 X 7's and they are all bent beyond compare. The order cost $30.

I immediately called the post office to tell them. They said they would talk to the person who delivered our mail and get back to me. While we were out we received a call from our mail carrier. She said that she was sorry and that she didn't see that it said "don't bend" and that she would never purposely bend pictures. She left her home phone number for us to call if we had more questions. I got the feeling that the post office won't reimburse us and that the carrier would have to pay out of her own pocket.

I realize that she didn't do it on purpose but she should have been more careful. I can't afford to just throw away $30 but I really want the pictures. Would you ask the carrier to reimburse you?

I would call the company that you ordered the pictures from. It is up to them and the post office to figure out who is at fault: not you.

You order a product.

You paid for a product.

You have not received what you purchased.

The product was not what you ordered.

I find it very surprising and a little odd that the post office would make her pay for that.

I would call the company that you ordered the pictures from. It is up to them and the post office to figure out who is at fault: not you.

You order a product.

You paid for a product.

You have not received what you purchased.

The product was not what you ordered.

I find it very surprising and a little odd that the post office would make her pay for that.

Yep. I'm a professional photographer and I either deliver prints in person, or mail them in a cardboard box that won't get bent.

Contact the studio. They should have packaged the photos in such a way that they were protected from whatever the postal carrier wanted to do....a thin cardboard insert is the first step.

I owned a studio for over twenty years. Yes, the postal carrier was not doing her job, but the studio should have done their's first.

I agree with Happy. I've sent tons of pictures through the mail to family and I always use a photo mailer with thick cardboard. A mail carrier would be hard-pressed to bend it, even if they wanted to. I would talk to the studio about getting new photos.

:iagree: I too think they should have been better packaged.

Well, yes, the company shoudl have probalby packaged them better, but my mail carrier has on occasion worked pretty hard to stuff something in my mail box that shoudl never hve been stuffed in there. I would definately follow thru with the PO. They can't change her habits if no one complains. And yes, if she bent them, and the company won't replace them, the PO should.

But I would start with the company. Maybe call the carrier back and tell her you are calling the company first and go from there.

Yep. I'm a professional photographer and I either deliver prints in person, or mail them in a cardboard box that won't get bent.

Exactly!

We never send prints in an envelope that can be bent. With all the automated sorting equipment in use and mail carriers who don't have time to read all the decorative writing on envelopes these days, we feel it is our responsibility to get our prints to our clients in excellent condition.

Call the phototographer.