Menu

Orthodontic insurance question -- does this sound right?

nmoira

Our group dental insurance through DH's work changed effective January 1. The previous group insurance had already paid their maximum of $1500 towards DD the Elder's braces, and  between this and our payment, the balance on the account was $2900 as of January 1. The new insurance just CC'd me on a letter to the ortho, saying that they'll pay half of this, effectively almost doubling the insurance coverage we expected. Does this sound right? Is this what happens when group plans change? There was an itemized payment breakdown in the letter I just received... so they must know what the previous insurer had covered. It doesn't sound right to me.

The ortho is closed this afternoon, so I can't ask them. :)

We had similar good news with ds2's braces. It was his second round and we had maxed out the insurance on him with the first round. But right before he needed round two our insurance changed and we got a huge amount of his care covered again. Previously we were going to have to pay for most of it ourselves minus a bit for staying with the same ortho. It was quite a nice benefit to the change.

Thanks! I'll be sure to double check, but I'm pretty sure the itemized list of previous payments in the letter shows will count as documentation. It just seems a little like Christmas in March. Since we made a big payment in January, this would leave us owing almost nothing (and saving for DD the Younger's braces).