Menu

Info About Muslim Aid During Irish Potato Famine

umsami

OK, this is something I was never taught…was never brought up as far as I can remember.  Did you ever hear of this?  If you're like me and you haven't, can you mention it to your kids? It seems like all most hear is negative thing about Muslims. Nice to hear/read something positive.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/new-evidence-shows-turkey-delivered-food-to-ireland-during-the-famine-156681255-237507681.html

"His generosity to the Irish people was reported in the in the London Times on Saturday, April 17, 1847, as well as in the Nation newspaper in Ireland.

“According to sources within the Turkish Embassy and the oral history of the Turkish people, the Sultan also sent three ships very soon after he had sent the £1,000 and that all three ships, although they may not have left the same port, arrived in Ireland at the same time and docked at the port of Drogheda,†Matthews said."

https://abiggersociety.com/how-quickly-we-forget-how-muslims-helped-ireland-during-the-great-famine/

"The Islamic State (Ottoman) ruler at that time Sultan Khaleefah Abdul-Majid declared his intention to send £10,000 sterling to Irish farmers but Queen Victoria requested that the Sultan send only £1,000 sterling, because she had sent only £2,000 sterling herself. The Sultan sent the £1,000 sterling but also secretly sent 3 ships full of food. The British administration tried to block the ships, but the food arrived secretly at Drogheda harbor."