Menu

making things less parent intensive

EmilyGF

I'll have three school aged kids next year and need to scale back some of my parent intensive curriculum (FLL, WWE, RightStart).

What would you transition to? I've started using Math Mammoth for my oldest (he's in 4b and doing fine). I'm not sure where to go with grammar and writing. I'm fine conferencing with the 3rd and 4th graders before they start their work, but don't don't want to have to be with them the whole time while they work.

My rising 4th grader passionately loves sentence diagramming and finds FLL3 super easy. He picks out sentences from books to diagram on his own time. 

Thanks,

Emily

My rising 4th grader passionately loves sentence diagramming and finds FLL3 super easy. He picks out sentences from books to diagram on his own time. 

For a kid like that I would try using KISS grammar independently. They may balk since it doesn't use diagrams but instead colors and labels. However, if they are willing to make that transition it could be a great resource. Lewelma has some posts about her older using KISS independently for grammar...

Classical Academic Press' Writing and Rhetoric is going really well as an independent writing program here. All I have to do other than check the work is read the dictation passage. It is not 100% secular. In some questions the student is asked to choose the quote that best matches the moral of the fable. Some of the quotes are from the Bible. There is no preaching in it, though.

http://classicalacademicpress.com/brands/Writing-%26-Rhetoric.html?sort=pricedesc

Classical Academic Press' Writing and Rhetoric is going really well as an independent writing program here. All I have to do other than check the work is read the dictation passage. It is not 100% secular. In some questions the student is asked to choose the quote that best matches the moral of the fable. Some of the quotes are from the Bible. There is no preaching in it, though.

http://classicalacademicpress.com/brands/Writing-%26-Rhetoric.html?sort=pricedesc

This is very child based-- my 3rd grader could not do CAP independently...i have to be there for almost every step.

My dd does MM, R&S spelling, and cursive copywork alone. I am not comfortable giving up grammar and writing yet...but I am considering VP self paced history for her to do independently...

What about Rod & Staff for English?  Isn't it supposed to be independent?  (Sorry, I'm not using it, but that's what I was thinking.)

Or, what about combining 3rd and 4th grader with something that you could combine, that has writing and grammar together, like Language Lessons through Literature level 3?  I do think my DD (almost 8, 2nd grader) could do a lot of this on her own.  However, we are in level 2 - I wanted to start slowly & she hasn't done diagramming yet although I sense she'll love it.