Menu

Creative Children taking forever...

Have any of you kind and gentle sorts found a way to allow children to express their creativity, while not losing your sanity or having school take all day?>

Today Abeka math asked that the student draw the number of objects, so for 6 they are supposed to make 6 objects, etc. He is drawing six very fancy detailed robots. Therefore, this one part of this one lesson has already taken him 15 minutes...

So would it be reasonable to say, okay you can draw robots, but for the rest of the page please just make circles? Or should I just go do the laundry and come back when my son returns from his creative spree? Maybe he would like formal lessons more if I would let him just be who he is?

On the other hand maybe it would take all day!

Today Abeka math asked that the student draw the number of objects, so for 6 they are supposed to make 6 objects, etc. He is drawing six very fancy detailed robots. Therefore, this one part of this one lesson has already taken him 15 minutes...

My 8yo did the exact same thing! I made the kiddo stop, gently, but it was still enough to turn him off from schoolwork for years. Let him take the time! Don't repeat my mistake.

the first one in robots and it took 15 minutes for one tiny thing. However, he was happy as a clam. Then I made him only draw circles and the whole math lesson went downhill from there, even ending up with me yelling at him...

Guess I'll keep praying that God would allow me to let my children be who He made them, as long as they are not sinning or forming BAD habits. But, being inconvenient for me is not sin, or a bad habit!

ugh. I'm so controlling.

My 8yo did the exact same thing! I made the kiddo stop, gently, but it was still enough to turn him off from schoolwork for years. Let him take the time! Don't repeat my mistake.

:iagree: Did the same thing with ds. I finally have gotten my ds back to enjoying school for the most part. We flow with the creativity otherwise all the wheels stop.

Of course, I'm have a similar style so we mesh well. Here's my favorite video on creativity in the education. It's long, about 15 minutes, but so worth watching if you or your dc are creative.

My middle child is my artist. She'd spend HOURS coloring the tiny pictures in her Explode the Code books if I let her. I usually ask that she finish the main work and leave the fancying up for after her lessons. With the robot-drawing lesson, I might have put that section aside, done our other work, and then let that be the last thing for the school-time. Then it wouldn't matter if the child spent more time on it, only choosing to use up playtime or wait on lunch.

I have two children working together though, which means they need to both move ahead on work so that we can do the next thing in a timely way. One can't take twice as long on a section as the other (unless it's genuinely harder material for him/her).