Menu

Draw Write Now?

~Victoria~

I go on kicks where I really want something but I am usually pretty good at just looking and not forking over the money until I absolutely need it.  I have been looking at Draw Write Now to start using because we are finishing our HWOT book today and I want to move on to something else.  My thing is do I just buy 1 book, or buy the set at a discounted price?  Mardel had all the Draw Write Now stuff 50% off a month or two ago and I could kick myself for not snatching it up :/ 

If you have used it, how did your kids like it?  I wanted to start it now and then carry it through the summer.  I really LOVE the looks of Draw and Write Through History, but my son is too young for it.

edited for typos :p

We have all of the books and have used them for years. It's our intro to drawing curriculum, I've used them extensively for co-ops- most recently in our Mapping the World with Art class, the kids use them for composition ideas, etc.They are on my list of homeschool "must haves." You can see some samples of what my 10 yo drew, being DWN inspired here (scroll down the page a bit).

My kids 9 and 7 have used them a lot. After introducing handwriting to my then 5 year old, we preceded to DRN. One she drew the picture, the next day she did a picture. We both loved it.

The kids also randomly pull out these books and draw whatever strikes their fancy.

I don't know if it will benefit their artistic ability long-term, but they are a much-used resource for now.

Keep an eye out for the 50% off coupon from Mardel! Otherwise, it does seem very expensive.

My dd LOVES DWN. It has been her handwriting, drawing, fine motor practice. We tend to alternate days of DWN with another writing program.

Just a thought:

Educents currently has a sale going to buy the boxed set for 32% off:

http://www.educents.com/draw-write-now-boxed-set.html?utm_source=Educents&utm_campaign=d753389585-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8da5a224bb-d753389585-82357617&mc_cid=d753389585&mc_eid=2466b02ca4

I saw it on educents ;) my son is doing very well with his handwriting, so I would feel good about using this as practice. I wish my library had them! They do not :(

I may hold out for another sale. Or I may buy one off eBay or something and if my son loves it then I will buy the box set and resell the eBay copy.

I saw it on educents ;) my son is doing very well with his handwriting, so I would feel good about using this as practice. I wish my library had them! They do not :(

I may hold out for another sale. Or I may buy one off eBay or something and if my son loves it then I will buy the box set and resell the eBay copy.

If you want to try them, Confessions of a Homeschooler has some printable sheets you could try:)

Probably the curriculum we have used the most but not for hand writing. The pictures were used as part of geography, history, and science unit studies for years. They generally composed their own sentences to go with the picture. Pictures for thank you cards etc. I pulled those books out all the time! :)

My 6yo ds LOVES the Draw Write Now books!  He did go through ARFH K so he could get the basic letter formations down first.  I was tempted to buy the whole set, but for now am just buying them one book at a time because it seems our tastes always end up changing at some point down the road.  I've been burned buying too far ahead on other things so I've learned my lesson ;)

My kids (K and 1st) LOVE DWN and ask to do it every day. It's very low-key compared to other school things we do; I don't really correct their drawings or their handwriting that much, so it's a positive-feeling experience all around. I think it's helped them with a sense that they can break pictures apart to draw them. We're also taking a Monart class which does much the same thing. 

My daughter was thrown for a while with the font DWN uses for copywork. The lowercase "r"s are especially wonky. 

You could probably make your own versions with an online handwriting site and some drawing books from your library. Ed Emberley has some great books that many libraries carry. 

FWIW, I got our set on Zullily of all places for 50 percent off. It looks like it's frequently on sale. 

We have all of them.  My oldest three children would only pull them out every now and then for the drawings.  My youngest loves them, but mainly used them for writing practice.  She would copy the sentences and then draw her own picture in her own way to go along with the writing.  Go figure!   :confused1: