Menu

kindergarten registration

ebrindam

I know a lot of people online don't consider homeschooling kindergarten "real homeschool" but last night was kindergarten registration in our town and it felt so amazing to NOT go. Around here everyone goes to kindergarten unless you're homeschooling and 5yrs/kindergarten is the start of a lot of awesome homeschool groups and activities. I'm so happy to finally be (almost) legit! ;-) 

DD is excited too...yay! Just wanted to share!

I know a lot of people online don't consider homeschooling kindergarten "real homeschool" 

Really?  If people are drawing distinctions like that it's ridiculous.    

I know exactly the feeling you're talking about!  The first Monday after we pulled my son out of school I felt like a weight had been lifted.  Watching the kids walk by with backpacks and knowing that I didn't have to send him in tears was wonderful.   :hurray:

I remember that from last year! I saw the sign for this year's kindergarten registration a couple days ago, and it was still weird after a whole year of K. DS barely makes the cutoff (2 days), so I can pass him for a preschooler when needed. Next year... not so much.

The best feeling was taking Tuesday off for the zoo during gorgeous weather, while the school was making up one of their bajillion snow days. That takes care of any doubt that we're on the right path. Especially when my K'er can read and navigate the zoo map for me. ;-)

Well, I live in a state where kindergarten is mandatory, so if homeschooling K isn't real homeschooling, I don't know what is!

I remember the first day of public school when my oldest was in K, and that exhilarating feeling that we really were opting out! We went to the pool. Enjoy!

Even though DS4 would be starting K in the fall (turns 5 in June), compulsory attendance here isn't until you're 6 years old (1st grade) so I'm not reporting our K homeschool to the school district yet.

It feels strange that our first act as "official" homeschoolers is actually NOT doing something.

I remember that feeling too! :) Signs all over town reminding parents to sign their kids up for kindergarden- and I was opting out of the norm- it made it more real! When all the kiddies went off to school in the fall and my boy stayed home with me and we went to the park and read books under a colorful maple tree- it was official! We were homeschoolers! So let me officially "welcome" you to the club! :D I'm so happy we made this choice, everyone around here sends off their 4 year olds to all day kindergarden, I don't mind being different if it means I get to spend each day with my wonderful little people!

We went to the beach for the first day of kindergarten. We took our HWT chalkboard with us, wrote "First day of kindergarten" on it, and took photos. It worked so well we plan to do the same thing each year on the first day of school.

Have a wonderful first year homeschooling!