Menu

Dallas ISD new classroom rules

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/081608dnmetdisdgrading.4627fe2.html

Teachers have derided the new rules as being too lenient on lazy students by requiring teachers to accept late work, give retests to students who fail and force teachers to drop homework grades that would drag down a student's class average.

Oh goody, let's teach them that deadlines don't matter. What a great lesson for the real world!:glare:

I'm in the DFW area and read that too :eek: What in the world are they teaching these kids as far as responsibility? Can't you just picture their boss in a few years expecting them to make a deadline, be to work at a certain time, or to complete a task on time? Oh wait, they have been taught we get a second chance, we turn it in when we want :confused: I'm sure that children taught this way are going to be in for a big shock of the real world called real life when they leave school.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/081608dnmetdisdgrading.4627fe2.html

Oh goody, let's teach them that deadlines don't matter. What a great lesson for the real world!:glare:

Same philosophy being spouted in our local school boards here in Toronto. That was one of the reasons we elected to send our boys to private schools when we returned to Canada (from Altanta) a year ago.

I am speechless.

Too many students are failing, so the school board prevents teachers from "giving" bad grades. (Quotes because teachers don't "give" grades! They only calculate what the student earned!)

I have to assume teachers will be leaving DISD in droves.

I can't imagine trying to teach (or learn) under those conditions.

Watch for the article next year about the entire school board being voted out of office.

So basically we the taxpayers are spending billions of dollars for glorified daycare?:glare:

<mock shock >

That's a grave injustice to daycare workers everywhere.

</mock shock >

:lol:

Remember...this is the same city where the phrase "black hole" is considered racist by a sitting City Council member. :001_rolleyes:

Yet another reason to be grateful for TX liberal homeschool policies.

Last night's news has DISD back peddling hard and fast. Evidently that was an internal memo that wasn't supposed to get out to the public. (yeah, right)

Teacher's groups are up in arms and are only slightly mollified by the 'revised' standards. It seems there won't be unlimited chances to fail and retake a test, but only several.

Even the modified policies are too lenient. I can't imagine having a kid in those schools.

Sure let's create more adult children hanging on the streets, unmotivated, etc. Glorified daycare...got that right! And yet, they want to complain about homeschool families NEEDING oversight, taking the "easy" way out (HAHAHAHA! Easy my left foot!!!), and how we are just removing "opportunities" from the rest of the system by removing our children (because they aren't collecting for our children).

I would say this is the school district giving in to the parents... Parents these days want good grades whether their dc earned them or not, and woe to the teacher that won't give it to them.

This is soooo true. My dh teaches seniors in hs, and if they don't pass his class they don't graduate. He spends the whole year reminding them of this. You should see the frantic running around in about May by both parents and students. :D Suddenly, they need extra credit to make up for the work they didn't do all year. Poor them.

<mock shock >

That's a grave injustice to daycare workers everywhere.

</mock shock >

:lol:

Remember...this is the same city where the phrase "black hole" is considered racist by a sitting City Council member. :001_rolleyes:

Yet another reason to be grateful for TX liberal homeschool policies.

Yep yep yep. :glare: