Menu

HSLDA Update: The Romeikes can stay

Ellie

From HSLDA on its FB page:

BREAKING NEWS!!! The Romeikes can stay!!!

Today, a Supervisor with the Department of Homeland Security called a member of our legal team to inform us that the Romeike family has been granted "indefinite deferred status". This means that the Romeikes can stay in the United States permanently (unless they are convicted of a crime, etc.)

This is an incredible victory that can only be credited to our Almighty God.

We also want to thank those of who spoke up on this issue--including that long ago White House petition. We believe that the public outcry made this possible while God delivered the victory.

This is an amazing turnaround in 24 hours. Praise the Lord.

Proverbs 21: 1 "The king's heart is like a stream of water directed by the Lord, He guides it wherever He pleases."
~~Michael Farris

It is already being discussed in the other thread.

This is a slap in the face of every person who faces torture and death and who is more deserving of asylum, but does not have the legal and financial backup of an organization like the HSLDA.

It should be that all people are equal before the law. Sadly, this is not the case, which I find deeply disturbing.

It is already being discussed in the other thread.

This is a slap in the face of every person who faces torture and death and who is more deserving of asylum, but does not have the legal and financial backup of an organization like the HSLDA.

It should be that all people are equal before the law. Sadly, this is not the case, which I find deeply disturbing.

To be fair, deferred status is granted quite often.  HSLDA may want to pause the celebration a bit as those with deferred status can be, and often are, deported at a later time.  This status has been granted more frequently in recent years when deportees have children who have spent a significant amount of time in the U.S..

Like I said on the other thread, I'm happy the Romeikes can stay, but certainly not for the reasons HSLDA wants me to think that. Despite their being pawns of HSLDA, the Romeikes are also real people and deportation is hard on kids. I'm always happy when a family with children doesn't get deported. I'm also glad that this doesn't create any precedent for any other homeschooling family to think they can get asylum just because they homeschool.

I think this is a reasonable solution, even though its obviously a "caving to pressure" thing, rather than following actual asylum / refugee procedures. It seems like "show up and make a fuss, and you can stay" is s poor precident to set.

Maybe now they will just pursue citizenship in whatever way is normal for the us (can they?) while not tying up systems that are intended to respond to crisis situations.

I was so pleased to hear this news this afternoon.  So thankful that they get to remain here rather than having their family being forced to return to Germany and possibly torn apart.  

They would not be forced to return to Germany - as EU citizens they would be free to take up residence in any other EU country and home school legally there.

They would not be forced to return to Germany - as EU citizens they would be free to take up residence in any other EU country and home school legally there.

Just did some quick research.  . . what I found states that they can move to another EU country for three months but if work can't be found they have to return in  or prove independent financial status.  I believe this is what happened to the other German family that had trouble with homeschooling.  They tried to relocate but the father couldn't find work so they had to return.

I know that many countries would require the return to their country before going to different country and since Germany has proved in the past that they will seize the passports of these homeschool children so the can't be removed from the country, I'm guessing that the Romeikes would rather avoid that possibility.

Look, I'm no expert on immigration law, just happy that this non-threatening, homeschool family who has already been here for six years gets to remain here for the time-being and continue to be safe from the threat of a government denying their desire to homeschool for religious reasons.

Just did some quick research.  . . what I found states that they can move to another EU country for three months but if work can't be found they have to return in  or prove independent financial status.  I believe this is what happened to the other German family that had trouble with homeschooling.  They tried to relocate but the father couldn't find work so they had to return.

Incorrect.  Please refer to page 16 on this link: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/citizenship/docs/guide_free_movement_low.pdf

They could have retained the status of worker or self-employed status after 3 months by either registering for unemployed status or seeking vocational training.

Personally, I'm happy for them.  I'm in favor of no restricted borders (other than for crimes or similar).  Humans ought to be able to choose where they want to live based upon their desires and what's offered/available in various locations no matter if that's weather, religion, homeschooling, or personal whims.

I'm probably in a minority, but such is life.  What opportunities one gets ought not to be determined by the birth lottery or any other "lottery."  It should be as easy to change countries (anywhere) as it is to change states or within the EU IMO.

Incorrect.  Please refer to page 16 on this link: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/citizenship/docs/guide_free_movement_low.pdf

They could have retained the status of worker or self-employed status after 3 months by either registering for unemployed status or seeking vocational training.

Thanks for linking this.   Like I said, I did a quick search . . . still glad they get to stay :)