Menu

Recurrent cellulitis--how would you go about boosting immune system?

ILiveInFlipFlops

DH has developed cellulitis for a second time within a year, in his instep (last time it was the same place, but on the other foot). There was no break in the skin either time. The doctor prescribed Keflex for him today, and whatever he took last time (I think it was also Keflex) worked within the prescription time frame, but now the problem is back.

The articles I read about this implied that people who develop cellulitis without having some kind of wound tend to be older (he's not), diabetic (he's not), or immune-compromised in some way (much more likely). He doesn't eat that healthfully and he works long hours, though he does usually get enough sleep. So how would you go about boosting his immune system? Are there supplements that are helpful? I tend to let him feed himself breakfast and lunch (sometimes he wants it, sometimes he doesn't), so I know I can start ensuring that he eats better, takes coconut oil, etc., but are there some other ways to help him out too?

If anyone has any thoughts on or experience with the cellulitis, I'd love to hear that as well.

Thanks!

My experience with cellulitis has been limited to cases I have encountered over many years as a nurse, but immune boosting, I have immediate experience with:

I have a foster daughter with cancer. She gets chemo every week (her year of chemo ends the end of April), and she has a complete workup every week before the chemo. If her immunity is down, she doesn't get her chemo, and she has to stay home from school, and she has to wear a mask when we go out. I spoke with one of the other parents one day about my concerns that diet is not considered enough with the kids; he agreed, and he told me that he had been giving his son V-8 twice a day. Since he started that, his son has been able to go to school and to get his therapy on schedule. I started that with my DFD, and her counts rose dramatically. The doctors then prescribed Ensure Clear three times a day. Since then, she has only had one episode of low counts, that is, in four months. I think that was because she had chemo a day closer than usual due to the weather.

Are you sure it is cellulitis? I ask because my 13 yo had classic signs of cellulitis four (!!!) times in about six months. It got to the point that I yawned in the face of red streaks. Everyone was advising "ER," and I would just mark the streaks with a sharpie and drop by the drugstore clinic the next day for abx. Finally, though, she had another streak, and I had pictures of the last 2, and I took her to a different pediatrician who listened and said healthy children do not get cellulitis 4 times in a year. And this child does not get sick. She has sensitive skin but has never had stomach flu, ear infections, etc. Anyway, the ped listened to all of this and decided the streaks were a reaction to ant bites, not cellulitis at all. That made perfect sense to me. Now she immediately dabs Benadryl cream on ant bites, and so far--no more streaks.

Are you absolutely sure his blood sugar isn't off even if he's not diabetic?  I'd get a blood sugar monitor and test when he wakes up, 20 minutes after eating, and 2 hours after eating every single meal for a few days in a row and make sure his blood sugar isn't out of whack. 

I'm not diabetic, but I have so many family members that are I test for it routinely.  I've noticed that when I get sick I've been eating too much and not exercising. My post-meal numbers are terrible, but my A1C numbers are fine, so as far as my doctor is concerned I'm not diabetic either.

Thank you, everyone. Now we're not sure what to think. The swollen area had spread from his instep and general foot and ankle area up his calf at its worst. It was hot and red, but not streaky, although it didn't get streaky last time either. Yesterday was his second day on the Keflex, and when he came home last night, his ankle was covered with teeny bumps and he said it was terribly itchy  :confused1:  So we don't know what to think. There are no bite marks that we can see, no localized area where the swelling is worse, etc. It was and still is all pretty uniform. The swelling and pain have steadily decreased since he started the abx though.

I'll talk to him about his blood sugars and talking to his doctor about it, and I'll see how it is when he wakes up today.