Menu

URGENT!!!! First Time Homeschooler? TIPS APPRECIATED.

Next year I am planning to have my daughter be homeschooled. She is in 7th grade currently (will be in 8th grade school year 2014-2015) but is currently doing 9th grade work in her school. Her grade card still says 7th grade, however. When we plan to homeschool, we will take advanced online classes (i.e. AP Calculus, British Lit, etc.,) but we have no idea how to put this on a report card. We were planning on taking her final grades from each online class and putting them on a speadsheet. In 9th grade she will return back to public high school and will be registered as a 9th grader. However, when she goes to high school, we don't want her to jump up to tenth or eleventh grade once they see her accomplishments. Is it all right just to say "English" and "Math" on her report card? We would like her report card just to stay an eighth grader.

My guess is that the 8th grade transcript will be the least of your worries (I don't know what would be difficult about just listing and describing what it is?  This won't go to colleges).  The high school may be picky about placement.  I would definitely contact the high school ahead of time, before 8th grade, about whether they would simply accept the AP calc exam score without requiring that she take the placement tests for the four years' worth of high school math that precedes calc.  I would definitely describe the math specifically, including texts.  I'd also talk with them about the plan for math for her during high school, as she will still need four years' worth of math at a level that may not be offered at the school - on-line, CC, DE, etc.  I'd probably email some math teachers directly until I found the right one to discuss this with - department head, probably.

As an aside, you might also consider going deeper in math, either within the regular sequence or with discrete math topics off-sequence (e.g with AoPS), and putting off the AP calc until high school, in which case I would still list the math specifically and expect that she'd have to pass placement tests to be allowed into AP calc in 9th.  What text is she using for precalculus this year (or is she taking precalc at the high school already, in which case they'd already know her and I wouldn't see the need to take her out for a year of homeschooling)?

Many high schools don't allow accelerated placement for lit courses (which is separate from the fact that the school might have an honors version in 9th and 10th grade lit, leading up to AP).

You might also ask on the Accelerated Learning board.

What is your purpose in homeschooling?  The high school wont necessarily let her take classes that far advanced, unless it has special programs or something with local colleges.  Would you consider instead letting her take classes at community college or even entering university early?

@wapiti: She has done many courses with AoPS, including Pre-Calculus last year (2013). Mr. Rusczyk advised that we take some other courses before starting Calculus, which we are doing right now (Intermediate Number Theory, Intermediate Counting and Probability). She has done well with the Pre Calculus course.

@dbmamaz: Next year if she would continue her 2 grades ahead, she will be in 8th grade and doing 10th grade work. However her school is only K-9. We need something to substitute for her 8th grade year next year, so that is why we are doing homeschooling. She is already taking advanced online classes, and we were planning if she does 10th grade at her K-9 school, she would just sit at school and do her online classes and her teacher would have a report card for her. I don't believe having her skip grades is beneficial, as she would be 13 and be put with 16 year olds. When she is in high school, our high school has the gifted/extremely gifted children do some work at the local university (working with their teachers, taking advanced courses, etc.,), also with other AP classes such as AP Government, Biology, Chemistry, etc.,. 

We are also applying to schools such as Phillip Andover or Phillip Exeter [thus the university work will not be needed as these schools are prestigious college prep schools]

Our main concern is just the grade card. We would like her grade card to remain in the 8th grade year, but once she goes to high school, we wouldn't like for them to start moving her up to the 11th grade or 12th grade years because of her accomplishments. Is it alright just to put down "math" and "english" rather than specify?

How would we create the report card? Our plan is just to ask the teachers from her online class how she is doing for the current semester and put the grade down on an Excel spreadsheet. However, would we need to attach any official proof that she had gotten that grade (some parents might just make up a grade and put it down)? 

How do other homeschooling parents put their grades down on a report card if they are taking online classes from different websites?

Personally, if it were me, I would very specifically describe the AoPS courses she has taken, using language from the descriptions on the AoPS site.  There is *no way* that I would just write "math" when she will have those types of courses under her belt, real high school courses at a very rigorous level, especially if you are applying to very selective private high schools.  I think this would be excellent for admissions purposes.  If AoPS provides a grade and verification, I'd use it.

I assume the school will still need some form of verification - either from AoPS or from a placement test - in order to place her.

And, do come visit the Accelerated Learning board!

FWIW, when my dd was homeschooling in 5th and applied to a private middle school, my "transcript" was a list of subjects, with each including the text used and referencing an attached tab at which I placed a sample page of work (I wasn't grading her at that time).  For an 8th grader applying to a private high school, I'd probably do something similar to the spreadsheet you describe:  a list of subjects with brief descriptions and grades, referring to an attached tab at which you have placed whatever grade verification you might have from the on-line course provider.  I just put my "transcript" and attachments into one of those plastic report covers with three-hole-binding.

For the exclusive private schools, I'd email or call admissions and ask if they have specific requirements for transcripts of homeschooled applicants.

Eta, note the first pinned thread on this board contains links to lots of threads about high school transcripts.  Those might be useful.

I would list exactly what she did on her transcript and say it is for 8th grade. Don't downplay her accomplishments - if schools don't know what she has finished it won't do her any good to be placed in a class that doesn't challenge her.

I would be specific with any schools you are applying to that you want her to start as a 9th grader. Talk to the schools specifically about your concerns about her age and abilities.

I think you should talk to the high school that she will be attending about this.

I understand your reasoning for homeschooling 8th grade, but I don't understand why you would have her do AP level work, then have her enter high school and do freshman level work. If she is working 2 years ahead now, why wouldn't she continue to do that when she re-enters? However, if she enters as a freshman but does 11-12th grade level work, they will probably run out of classes for her. If you don't want her to graduate early, you might want to consider homeschooling all of high school instead of just 8th grade. 

Regentrude is an excellent example of someone who pulled out of public school at a similar time because her daughter was just too far ahead and found that they could continue and excel at home in a way not possible in public school. Maybe she'll pop in.

@Mom2toN's: Thanks for the suggestions! The local public high school allows you to choose whatever courses you may take (so she won't be stuck in freshman work), also the gifted/extremely gifted kids go over to the university and do extra coursework there with the teachers and do lots of fun experiments, etc., 

Thanks to everyone who has replied! It's been quite helpful.

I think that we will put down her actual classes that she is taking for her 8th grade report card. How would I go about formatting the report card? Any links? Any pictures I can reference off of?

I'm popping in ;-)

I do not understand the rationale behind taking her out for one year and then sending her back for 9th grade. I also do not understand what the "report card" has to do with it - public high schools will have to take all students, do not usually give credit for home schooled classes, and will decide to place the student based on placement test if you are luck and based on grade if you are not. Whatever you decide to list on your 8th grade report card will mist likely be completely irrelevant - unless she already has AP calculus (as an 8th grader? Wow!). If she is that advanced, I would not even consider for a moment sending her to a high school where she will be bored out of her sense for four years.

Why not simply home school her?

I would make up the list of classes you plan for her to do in 8th grade, and then I'd go to the high school and speak with them there.  I'd ask for them to write up what her four year plan of high school will look like with all the classes listed.  Honestly, with her advancement in both math and literature, I think you're going to run out of options whether she's at the high school or being homeschooled.  The university for dual enrollment will likely be her lifeboat sooner rather than later.  I understand why you're pulling her out next year as her current school only goes up to 9th grade, which she's already done this year, but putting her back where she'll be listed as 9th and doing 11th and beyond doesn't make sense to me.  I can see it if she's well connected in her current school and will maintain those friendships during her year of homeschooling, but I'd want to have her course plan from the high school in writing.  I can also see it making sense if dual enrollment will be free if she's attending the high school, but I'd first make sure she'll have the freedom to choose her courses and not be limited to a list which doesn't include advanced courses in her areas of interest.  Again, I'd get all of that in writing as it's not something you want to discover once it's difficult to change course.

As for the transcript, check the threads at the top of the high school board for lots of examples.  I'd list her 8th grade courses precisely, and not as math, English, etc..

We also started homeschooling my daughter this year at the beginning of 8th grade.  She was unsure if she wanted to go to the public high school next year, so she took all of the tests they require for placement at the HS.  Because she was not in school and they had no 8th grade teachers to ask for recommendations, they wanted her to take additional tests in order to place her in math, science and English.  She has now decided not to go full time and we are talking to the administration about the possibility of part time enrollment for band and foreign language.  I am going to take a guess and say that the high school will look at your transcript as a courtesy but will want her to take placement tests.  Here, most placement is based on reading/writing and math scores on the Terra Nova test and 8th grade teacher feedback.  So, for example, placement into regular or honors biology as a freshman is based on both the reading/writing and math scores from the Terra Nova test and the teachers recommendation for or against honors placement.  For those with the highest math scores you have the option to take honors physics as a freshman.

@Mom2toN's: Thanks for the suggestions! The local public high school allows you to choose whatever courses you may take (so she won't be stuck in freshman work), also the gifted/extremely gifted kids go over to the university and do extra coursework there with the teachers and do lots of fun experiments, etc., 

Just so you know how it is sometimes handled...

At the high school mine would go to, they don't require a transcript although it is recommended. If you do bring one, they glance at it, and then order placement tests in math, English, and foreign languages. Dual enrollment and AP classes are only for 11th and 12th graders. Even with high English placement and other factors, a gifted 9th grader would be placed in Honors English 9 and an honors science class, not dual enrollment or AP classes.  Dual enrollment and AP classes in the catalog don't mean that they are actually offered; they must have 12 or more students and a qualified teacher to teach them.  Some of them haven't been offered in years.

So ask the hard questions, but go in with your eyes open. 

Again, thanks for all the amazing input! 

The main reason why I am so concerned with the transcript/report card, or at least some record of grades/accomplishments in her 8th grade year is because after she takes the ISEE, she will apply to Phillip Andover/ Phillip Exeter. If she is accepted than she will certainly be challenged at those schools.

The main reason why I am so concerned with the transcript/report card, or at least some record of grades/accomplishments in her 8th grade year is because after she takes the ISEE, she will apply to Phillip Andover/ Phillip Exeter. If she is accepted than she will certainly be challenged at those schools.

In that case, I would ask those schools in which form they would prefer student records and what documentation for accomplishments they wish to see.

I'm not trying to subject my daughter or downgrade her abilities--by having her be in 9th grade. She will still be taking higher education classes, some community college/university classes; I just don't want it to be a mistake if she ends up going to college early. I would like her to graduate with her peers and be with her friends AND still have her have the challenges she needs. She will not be bored at all through her classes. It wouldn't make any sense for her to have a 7th grade report card (which she has now, while taking 9th grade classes actually), no 8th grade report card, no 9th grade, and a 10th grade report card. 

Again, thanks for all the amazing input! 

Yes, for that you'll need a transcript, probably also an essay and recommendations.  Private schools are entirely different, and have much more flexibility.  

I think that we will put down her actual classes that she is taking for her 8th grade report card. How would I go about formatting the report card? Any links? Any pictures I can reference off of?

Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) has good sample formats for transcripts available.  You do not have to be an HSLDA member to get them.

As for an eighth grader doing AP calc, I have one of those as well.  She took Calc AB as an eighth grader and scored a 5 on the exam.  So I believe you (not that anyone else didn't; but I know many people in real life who wouldn't).

Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) has good sample formats for transcripts available.  You do not have to be an HSLDA member to get them.

if a link would help for sample transcripts

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/academics.asp#transcripts

or here

http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/transcript.htm

or if you prefer "report card" for personal keeping... you can design it based on the report cards at current school.   remember to keep any score report you get from any AP tests.  and you'll want some info on how to take AP tests as homeschooler... but probably the high school you'll attend will work with you on that  :)